Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which city would you add one more day to - Prague or Venice?

Nov 5th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are planning a trip to Prague and Italy in March and will probably fly into Prague and depart from Venice. We will have three full days in Prague with possibly a couple hours to walk around on the day we land, depending on how tired we are after the flight, and 2.5 days in Venice, including the day that we arrive there. I think I've convinced him to add one more day to our trip, so for those of you who have visited both, which city would you add an extra day to? I have a feeling most people would say "Venice," but I'm still curious. It would be more of a probability to return to Venice since we are barely scratching the surface with this trip, and I plan on returning to Italy at least once more in the future, although my husband may take interest in his Czech ancestry and want to visit again the Czech Republic again. Thanks in advance!
Nov 5th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Definitely Venice. Venice, in addition to being the most unique place I have ever visited, is a state of mind. It takes a little while for all of that to sink in. While there is lots to do and see in Venice, just being there is the best part.
Nov 5th, 2004, 09:32 AM

you really can't go wrong either way, I love both, but I vote for Venice as well. It's not for the sightseeing so much as the just being there.

By the way, plan to pack for possibly wintry weather in Prague, I was there last March and there was snow on the ground.
Nov 5th, 2004, 10:21 AM

All my vote to the Venice list- it is one of those cities where there is so much to enjoy without evening "doing" any of the sights
Nov 5th, 2004, 11:33 AM

Venice too. They are two of my favorite cities, and both deserve lots of time, but on balance, there's more to see in Venice. In 3 days, you can hit most of the sights of Praha, and still have some time to kick back in Starometska Square and sip a pivo or Becherovka. (Which you must do, by the way). In Venice, you'd be hard-pressed to see even the real musts - IMO, things like I Frari, St. Marks, Accademia, Doge's Palace - in 2.5 days, much less wander the alleys and explore the lagoon. I'd definitely put some extra time there, if you can.
Nov 5th, 2004, 12:55 PM

I was just in both those cities last summer and don't think you can go wrong with either but I like your logic about a little less time in the one you are most likely to return to. You said that was Venice and that makes sense. There is a lot more to see in Italy in general than there is in the Czech Republic in general. Therefore if you think you'll do another Italy trip in the next few years, you could revisit Venice at that time. I spend 5 days in Prague and 3 in Venice but I had been to Venice before (also for 3 days). I though the time in each was about right. Anyway you can extend the trip by a couple of days?
Nov 5th, 2004, 06:32 PM

It has to be Venice. I remember our first trip as a couple to Venice--we thought we would have plenty of time to see everything as we allowed 4-1/2 days. Wrong.
Nov 5th, 2004, 06:55 PM

Add me to the Venice list. Both are among my favorite cities in the world. I think you would be ok with 2 1/2 days in Venice, but another day is definitely much better (maybe a half day trip out to the islands of Burano and Torcello). Three days, as others have said, is plenty to see the sights in Prague.
Nov 8th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses, everyone! Based off of your opinions, you'd think it'd be a no-brainer, but I am still very torn...
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Hi-- If you are wanting peaceful and relaxing, Venice. If you are wanting lots of excercise and bad food, Prague. Just kidding I loved Prague but for me Venice is so far superior there is no comparison. The atmosphere is gorgious in prague, as is venice, but the overall Feeling in venice is hard to top.
Nov 9th, 2004, 11:23 AM

Ok...somebody has to do it. I will be the dissenter. Prague! Venice is very nice but Prague is fabulous. Also, when is Easter. If it is during your trip, Venice will be a madhouse which may make a difference to you.

Why specifically Prague? I love the architecture, the stained glass, the art, the history, everything. There are also lots of daytrips you can take (which of course, Venice has as well...)

If I had my druthers, I would definitely extend my visit to Prague over Venice (of course, I live only about 2 hours away from Venice, but still...)

Oh, and the shopping! Prague has crystal, garnets, amber and those beautiful jewelled eggs. Venice has over priced couture and murano glass.
Cheers,
Jan