Which baltic city?

Search

Which baltic city?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which baltic city?

I am planning a surprise w/end away for my boyfriend in a few months, I would like to know which is the most scenic, historic, romantic baltic city. I have been to Prague and Budapest already so was thinking of the capitals of Slovakia, Estonia, Latvia, Slovinia or Lithuania. I plan to go for about 3/4 days so a nice easy to see city with lots to see would be great.
Any reccommendations would be great thanks.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice thought, although based on another thread, you need to make quite sure he's free for that weekend... Do you mean Baltic or Eastern European? If you really mean Baltic you need to subtract Slovenia (Balkan) and Slovakia and add Russia (St. Petersburg), Finland and Sweden. I enjoyed Vilnius, but St. Petersburg has more to see. If you mean E. Eur. I would suggest Vienna or Krakow.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:29 PM

I've been to the Baltic capitals and IMO the old town of Vilnius is the most scenic. But if you want to stretch your view out toward Budapest and Prague, Krakow would be a good choice. Ljubjana is pretty, but not with the historic features of the Baltics.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:17 PM
hsv

Obviously Slovakia and Slovenia are not anywhere near the Baltic.

That said, I would spend my four days in Riga. One of the biggest cities around the Baltic sea at 800.000 inhabitants. Nicely restored Old Town and a ring of fascinating Art Nouveau buildings around it. Good restaurants, a bustling nightlife and scenic environments.

Should you have only 2 days, you might consider Tallinn, which has a nice but a bit overly touristy Old Town affording beautiful views across the Baltic Sea.

St. Petersburg would be intriguing, too, but would take some time and is rather expensive.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

yes was thinking of Tallin or Lijubjana never thought about Vilnius. I was in Vienna and loved it, I want to go to Krakow but for a week as I want to see Warsaw also. This trip will be about 3/4 days a suprise so I want to go somewhere really nice St Petersburg is beautiful but a bit expensive for a few days, will consider the above.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Try Riga. However, one long day in Riga is really quite enough. The old town is charming but small in comparison to central Europe. We just did Riga and Stockholm in four nights.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 01:15 PM

maybe it would help if you gave your definition of "baltic". Lijubjana (about 1500 from the Baltic) is nice but hardly comparable with Budapest, Prague, or St Petersbourg.