Which area of Paris to stay at?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is the Gazzilionth time someone inquired about Paris hotel, but I really would appreciate the help.
I was in Paris about 8 years ago and stayed in Montmartre, location I loved. Now all the reviews I read tell me that it is not unsafe or that it is far away from everything. Is there a better area that is so picturesque and old? That is not overly expensive?? Any hotel reccomendations?
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:18 AM

If you loved it before, nothing has changed... it is just as far away from the Tour Eiffel as it was 8 years ago

I have heard that the Timhotel Montmartre is nice (http://www.timhotel.com/hotels/us/montmartre.html) and also Regyn's Montmartre (http://www.parishotels.com/Hotel_Reg...e_star_en.html)...
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:30 AM

As to age, Hausseman didn't get to the Marais when he made his changes to Paris. Its architectually "old"; safe, lively and there are some hotels that are nice. I stayed only 1 night in a nice one but not in the Marais "proper" but not 2 blocks away!! The Lyon-Mulhouse on Beaumarchais Blvd. I liked it. Was cheap (with elevator; tv, phones, breakfast...); I remember there were 2 double beds and it was less than 100 E's
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:34 AM

No statistics available, but it is not any more or less unsafe I think than it was before. Some parts are sleazy as before, some parts charming. But if you stayed there you already know that.

The Marais does have a lot of charm. It's not the bargain it was before it became chic, but there are some relatively inexpensive places. Ditto the 5th.

What do you mean by 'not overly expensive'--how much do you want to spend each night, what requirements do you have (elevator, private bath, a/c for summer months)?
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

I want to spend no more than 130 euro per night. As for hotel requirements-none, except for the picturesque neighboorhood.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:43 PM

If you liked it, stay again, you know where it is. It probably hasn't changed that much in 8 years, although there are always more changes in a big city with old places closing down and some newer stores or eating places taking their places (or Pizza delivery places which are up in Montmartre, of course, as well as other places).

Why don't you stay on Ile St Louis? It is one of the places with the oldest feel, I think. I think one of the few hotels on it may be in that range.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:09 PM

Location-wise, it really is hard to beat the Ile St. Louis. I loved it. Plus, you'd be right by Berthillon. Which, if you're on a diet, might not be such a good idea after all.