Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which area is regarded safer...Knightsbridge or Mayfair?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:29 PM
xxx

Would like to rent an apartment in London. The apartments that looks nice online are the ones in either knightsbridge or mayfair. Are they nice areas? Safety is very important to me. I read recently that alot of muggings go on in london so I want to feel safe.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:54 PM
kate

I think Mayfair since there are so many diplomats living there.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 04:14 PM
John H

Don't think you can go wrong staying most anywhere in Mayfair. Areas closer to Park Lane and Piccadilly sides (as opposed to Oxford Street and Regent Street sides) might be somewhat preferable/even more safe, but you should not have any worries in this area at all.<BR><BR>John H

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Ben Haines

A lot of muggings do not go on in London. Both your areas are safe, and so is all of london except some areas of social housing in tower blocks about three miles from Piccadilly.<BR><BR>Some writers in this forum are nervous when they see homeless peoole, or blacks or Asians. Such people would do well to avoid London.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:13 PM
janis

There is absolutely no difference in the safety of Knightsbridge or Mayfair. They are the two POSHest districts in London - and rents are high because of that. not because other areas are unsafe.<BR><BR>Any of the nice areas - Mayfair, Knightsbridge, Chelsea, Kens and S Kens, Bloomsbury, Pimlico/Victoria, Westminster, Regent's Park, Hampstead, and several others - would be perfectly safe.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 01:07 AM
Ben Haines

<BR>I agree with Janis, but do wonder which less nice areas of central London would not be perfectly safe.<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 03:27 AM
John

Mr. Haines has clearly not been reading the papers lately - several people of note have moved from London to NY and other cities because of rising crime, theft, and burglary in London. London is generally a safe city. But some areas should be avoided.<BR><BR>As for your question, I would suggest Knightsbridge or South Ken. Mayfair can be very quiet at night, meaning there are few people on the streets and all shops/conveniences are closed. This is less of a problem in Knightsbridge or SOuth Ken, especially next to major roads like Brompton, Old Brompton or Sloane Square.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:16 AM
James Steel

I dont think Mr Haines needs to read the newspapers as he lives in London and propably knows better than most of you.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:28 AM
John

Believe it or not, Mr. Haines is not the only one who lives in London. I happen to live there and take note of my surroundings, as well as read the daily papers!<BR><BR>I have lived in London my entire life, including both Knightsbridge and Mayfair. I never said Mayfair was unsafe. I simply said that it can be less crowded in certain areas at night. For some travellers, walking around in a city they do not know with no one else around may be scary or unwelcome. I am simply trying to help out a fellow traveller.<BR><BR>For instance, I work in the City. Sometimes, when I walk to the tube late at night or on the weekends, I am slightly disconcerted by the fact that there are so few people around. If, for some reason, I was attacked (which some of you seem to think never happens in one of the world's largest cities), there would be no one else around to witness the crime or even attempt to help me. The quiet surroundings, and not the fact that crime is or is not on the rise, is what I was referring to in my previous post.