Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which airlines would you avoid booking with due to possible financial trouble?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting to look for fares for two upcoming trips, one in March and one next July. Given that I have heard at least some reports of possible financial trouble with Alitalia, United, Delta and USAir, I'm thinking of trying to avoid them. It seems like on several of my past trips I was booked on an airline that was in trouble and had to worry about it (although nothing actually happened in those cases).

I'm hoping those of you who watch these issues more carefully than I do can offer some advice. Which, if any, airlines would you not book a flight on for fear the airline might go belly up before the trip?
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 12:45 PM

Almost all airlines are having fin. trouble nowadays; I'd still book with the ones you list.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 12:53 PM

I am sure United will survive. I also read that even the most negitive anylists say USAir will also survive.

Be sure to use your credit card if you book, then you are financially protected.

Personally, book Lufthansa.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 12:58 PM
rex

I'd put the odds of anyone here being able to predict the cessation of flying - - by any major American carrier, in the next 12 months - - equal to the ability to predict any other major world catastrophic event in the next 12 months.

Either thing could happen. I wouldn't try basing any personal decisions on one, nor the other.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 01:11 PM

According to news articles I've been reading, American is in the strongest position of the traditional US airlines. They are partnered with British Airways ... not sure how BA's financial status is.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 01:16 PM

BA have just sold some stock in Qantas which has helped no end. BA is making a profit on some of its reporting quarters at the moment. Don't think the wolf is at the door quite yet.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 01:26 PM

Definitely not USAir. Its chance of surviving till the Election is very good, Thanksgiving is okay, but surviving past the New Year is questionable. I'd definitely book them past that time.

I don't Italian politics well enough, so I can't say about Alitalia. But don't forget that Europe has let two major national airlines die before - Swissair and Sabena - so has Ansett Australia. So, it's no guarantee that the Italian government will bail out Alitalia again and again.

In the US, DL and UA will survive. But DL has been cutting service, and UA has its own problems too, so some service may be cut. A route that you book today may not be flown next March or next July. But these two airlines will definitely be around by next July, one form or another, which definitely cannot be said of US Airways.

CO, AA and NW are all in pretty decent financial shape right now.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 02:07 PM
hsv

From what I was able to gather from financial sources, I would avoid Alitalia and US Air right now - at least for bookings in the future of more than 3 months ahead.

Lufthansa and BA should be pretty safe, although I personally have some reservations about the service one receives at LH.

I presume UAL will survive Chapter 11 and continue flying for quite some more time.

Swiss and SN Brussels Airways appear to be a bit problematic, too, although at least for Swiss I'd be surprised if they would discontinue to fly by as soon as next July.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 02:55 PM

From the latest news, there are some agreements going on right now with the different personnel sections at Alitalia. Pilots have signed the agreement and tomorrow the flight assistants should sign it too. Still the Alitalia problems will not solve. Also, Alitalia has the very BAD habit to go on strike every now and then stranding lots of passengers (it has happened over the years, chrisis or not) so I would personally avoid flying Alitalia. I would choose large airline groups like the Star Alliance Group including Lufthansa, Airone (should you wish to fly in Italy), United etc...
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 03:02 PM

Isabel,
Every airline is having some form of financial difficulty. A recent Wall Street Journal article stated that most airlines have a cost structure based on oil being no more than $35 a barrel. Right now it's over $45.

The question is not what airlines are having financial problems, but which airlines have the kind of difficulty that could force them to close. Certainly USAir fits that group.

The rest are having problems and might file bankruptcy. But, bankruptcy is a legal tactic that doesn't neccessarily change their ability to provide you with service.

United and Delta should be fine. Few are talking about either of those airlines going out of business.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 03:10 PM

USAirways seems to be the only one to really avoid now. Delta should be fine, especially if USAirways goes under. I also have concerns about fly-by-night discounters, like Independence Air.
In Europe, obviously it's not looking to good for Alitalia, but European carriers on the whole seem to be doing a lot better than their U.S. brethren.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 03:40 PM

The bigger they are the less likely they're going to just disappear. And USair, while a perfect example of the instability of the industry, is also a perfect example of how secure tickets really are--this is their second bankruptcy in 2 years and they STILL aren't closing up shop for good. That said, I'd probably avoid them if for no other reason service often suffers when there are cuts being made or when employees are worried about their jobs. And it takes some serious problems to go broke twice in 2 years.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 03:44 PM

For March, and especially July, I would wait until Jan. to book anyway.
Lots of water over the dam by then.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

I wasn't planning to book yet for next July, just starting to watch fares. But last year I booked my March trip on Oct 22 ($359 NY to Paris) and kept checking after that just to see, and it never got any lower. So except for the occassional special sale I think October is a good month to book for early Spring travel.

I guess USAir is not a good bet, and maybe not Alitalia but sounds ike Delta and UA will survive. I'm just getting kind of tired of every time I book a flight, that particular airline gets into the news threatening to go under. I thought at least I could avoid the ones that were already in the news.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 05:32 PM

OK--but the consolidators[discounters] get the excess inventory from the airlines in Dec. or Jan. Airlines react on a quarterly basis.