Search

'Where's Waldo' In Rome, March 6-20

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Where's Waldo' In Rome, March 6-20

[Waldo is a kid's game in the US Sunday Comics and my name is Walter]
Anyway, I will be in Rome on those dates and I've seen quite a few Fodorite posts of others who will be there as well on those dates.
And I thought it would be fun for an off-chance meeting.
1st off I'm hard to miss besides being big, I'm bit of an odd looking character .
I'm 6'2" & 275lbs, 50yrs old, I have a *very long* gray ponytail and a gray short beard and glasses.
I dress always in jeans and always wear a black leather vest (for the pockets plus it's what overweight guys sometimes wear ). I usually carry a black leather daypack and I will have a red bandanna tied to it to help in the ID.
Also I often wear a bandanna (red or black) either around or over my head if it's windy or my hair is still wet.
I very often end my day in the Roman Forum, I love the place and relax there after a day of sightseeing. Plus I can give you a very detailed tour of the site, I've read and searched for the major and minor details of the site.
So basically think truckdriver/construction-worker/biker, earring, tattoo's, jeans, leather, beard and a very long gray ponytail.
I am a truckdriver and construction worker and that's just how we dress, well at least the ones that refuse to grow-up . Regards, Walter
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 02:31 AM

That's great Walter,I hope you meet up with some Fodorites. If I hadn't just returned,I'd be looking for you myself!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh Walter, I wish I were going to Rome just for the experience of walking up to someone I don't know, dressed as you describe, and saying "Hi, are you Walter?" Of course it had better be you, or it could be a little scary.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:13 AM

I'll be there on Monday, til Thursday. If I see you, I'll say hi.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:20 AM

And by the way, Walter, while you are in Rome I will be in Athens, attempting to follow your directions which I have saved to find the site of Socrates' suicide. Re-reading the Phaedo to prepare.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Massagediva .
Castleton, keep an eye peeled .
Nikki, I always go overboard on my directions, just follow that ancient ditch/drain walking on the leftside and you will run right into that pile on neatly stacked marble fragments and you are there .
Also if there are any changes (like the site is now marked, etc) or you have something too add, please bring-up my directions and tack it on . It's been 5yrs since I have been to the site and things change.
Regards, Walter
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 05:07 AM

Make sure you guys posts lots of info about Rome when you get back. We are going in April! Have a great time
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 11:40 AM

Walter I'll be sure to keep an eye out for ya! We will be in Rome the 17-21. "We" being two redheads and a blonde!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 12:14 PM

We'll be in Rome March 11-15. We being the Tennessee Trio of Terror - one sweet young thing and two, older, not so sweet, things! Hope to see you there.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Walter, did anybody find you in Rome?

I went to the ancient agora in Athens and followed the ditch looking for the prison. It was quite exciting, sort of a treasure hunt. We had to stay on the right side of the ditch after it turned, as the path on the left disappeared, and there was water in the ditch which prevented us from standing in it. However, you could easily walk on the right side of the ditch. We never saw a neat pile of stacked marble fragments.

The path jogs to the left and then right at a newish marker saying "Road to Piraeus". Follow it after the jog and there is a marker immediately on the left saying "Street of the Marble Workers". If you look into the area behind the sign, which is roped off, there is a sign saying "State Prison". This appears to be in the room that you describe as the washroom to Socrates' cell.

As you look into the prison, there is a reconstruction behind you, on the other side of the Street of the Marble Workers, with a sign saying "South Roman House".

I will try to find your post with directions and add this to it.

If you are interested, my Greece trip report is: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34589254