Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stop in Germany? On way to Frankfurt from Amsterdam.

Old Aug 12th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello---My husband and I will be touring the EU over the Christmas holiday. Our entry and exit point is Frankfurt. We will be visiting Strasbourg France, Brugge Belgium, and Amsterdam.

At the tail end of our trip, we will be in Amsterdam. We have two days/one night right after New Year's that we would like to spend somewhere in Germany---on the way back to the Frankfurt Airport. We will most likely be traveling by train. Any ideas or suggestions? We had thought about Cologne. But any other ideas? We have traveled quite extensively, but never in Germany. Any ideas welcome! Kind thanks. By the way, we live in Chicago, so are used to very very cold weather---so don't mind being outdoors for any sightseeing/activity.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:08 PM

I would stick to Cologne enroute to Frankfurt! You have the cathedral which you can climb: almost 160 steps and offers great vistas, nice shopping, the zoo, a chocolate museum where you can taste and even buy a HUGE Santa Claus is still available ;-), great museums, very nice atmosphere incl. loads of pubs. Cologne profits from its university which adds a great feel.

Duesseldorf is second class to Cologne - from a tourist point of view. IMHO.
I would rather opt for Cologne.

SV
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:17 PM

the K-D Rhine Gorge boats do run daily even in winter (k-d.com) so that would be a possibility. If doing all that by rail be sure to investigate the Germany-Benelux Railpass, good for rail travel all over Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and Netherlands. Strasbourg is just a few miles from Germany. For lots of info on trains and passes in this area i always point out: www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com and http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id9.html
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Heidelburg would be very nice that time of year; lovely castle, cathedral, philosopher's walk, Christmas Market may still be on.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:28 PM

Düsseldorf is a heck of a lot more fun than Köln. The Altstadt, especially on Saturday, is like the near North in Chicago, except better. The Königsallee is like Michigan Avenue, except better. Take a stroll with the locals on Sunday afternoon. It is very unlikely that it will be as cold and windy as Chicago at the turn of the year. Take a day trip to Köln to see the Dom but stay in Düsseldorf.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 08:09 AM

skigirl

Now that spaarne describes Duesseldorf in the brightest colours I would like to give you some more ideas and comparison between the two: Cologne and Duesseldorf.

I think I have got a good base to do that comparison because I have lived and worked in both cities - would love to get back to Cologne in a heartbeat.

Duesseldorf has got the Altstadt (called also the longest bar in the world) and the Koenigsallee for fashion victims offering exquisite shops - many designers have got their shop there.
It is frequented by LOADS of Dutch people at the weekends so shopping, and even window shopping, is a kind of a "push and go"
When you visit a pub/restaurant you most probably end up being on your own nobody of the locals taking notice.

Now Cologne
Besides my info I have provided earlier -
When you go to a pub you ALWAYS end up having conversations with locals because people in Cologne are very much outgoing, solid, frank, honest and warm-hearted.
The atmosphere is different - more kind of "mediterranen".

To give you an idea of the mentality of people of Duesseldorf: Outsiders say "they put a lot of emphasis on appearance and many go that far to live upstairs on 30sqm but have a Porsche for driving up and down the Koenigsallee and in the Altstadt showing themselves off pretending they are "part of the game"

Of course that's a generalisation and in many cases not true. But it gives a really good impression how different these folks are.

Cologne: Frank but honest
Duesseldorf: More fashion victims and Porsche drivers who basically cannot afford that lifestyle but do ANYTHING to make others believe they can.

Ah - between DUS and CGN there is an ancient rivalry but this becomes a topic only during the Karneval where it is topic in every second speach ;-)

Now - The decision is yours!

SV
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 08:13 AM

cologne also has Germany's largest brothel, on the Rhine, i read and soon may have Europe's biggest mosque, plump right near it (though local opposition may put the mosque on hold - have not heard)

And Cologne has a very interesting Turkish district that looks right out of Istanbul - really interesting to me - as i recollect it is a bit north of the Dom (cathedral)
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 08:32 AM

And you can, if you wish, STAY IN Cologne the night before your flight out rather than holing up at some airport hotel at FRA.

Take one of the ICEs using the high-speed line from Cologne (vs. the older river route) and you can be at the FRA airport rail station in 57 minutes.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the good feedback!