Search

Amsterdam/Germany

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 09:15 AM
kat
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam/Germany

I would like to surprise my boyfriend with a trip to Amsterdam in February (2 days) and then onto Germany for the remainder of the week (5-6 days). I am looking for suggestions on what area of Germany I can focus on for that short period of time, as well as, whether it makes sense (financially) to fly into Amsterdam and then take a train or flight to Germany or reverse. I am trying to do this on a budget and would really appreciate all advice.

Thank you!
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 09:21 AM

There aren't many discount flights from Amsterdam to Germany.

For train timetables, go to www.ns.nl, click on "english" and "International"

Then go to www.europecar.com or www.autoeurope.com anmnd see about renting a car for a week--it may be cheaper than 2 train tickets, although gas will cost a lot (its abot 30-40 bucks to fill up the tank on a small car).

If you get a car, drive the Romantic Road and make your down to Neuchwanstein castle.

If you train it, I would go see the Cathedral in Ciologne and then go see Berlin, espec. if your bf happens to be a WWII buff.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 10:37 AM

Kat: Last I heard, Northwest flies directly from the US into Schipol (Amsterdam) and Frankfurt, Germany (either directly or through KLM). You may be able to package an open jaws itinerary (flying into Amsterdam and out of Frankfurt). We flew into Amersterdam a number of years ago, spent some time there, then trained down to the Rhine. Our time in each spot was more limited than what you have mentioned. As mentioned, after the Netherlands, you could stop in Cologne for a day, venture down the Mosel a ways, staying a day or two, come back to the Rhine and explore it for a day or two, then head to Frankfurt for the flight out.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 06:14 PM

That's a bleak time of year for a countryside visit on the Rhine and Mosel. Stick with the cities perhaps. Cologne, Trier, and Mainz are larger places with some worthwhile sights, and not too far from the Netherlands if you want to keep your travel costs down. You can tour Marksburg Castle in Braubach (between Cologne and Mainz) even at that time of year. A limited ramble like this in five days is about right. Check into the cheap daypasses (<30 Euros/day for up to 5 people together) in the region between Mainz, Bonn and Trier for travel on the local trains.

If you'll be there near the end of February, the Faching (Carnaval) celebrations in Cologne and Mainz may be in full swing - that would be special!
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 08:40 PM

I would highly recommend going to the southern part of Germany. We really enjoyed the area around Oberammergau and Garminsch. You can also spend a bit of time in Munich and head out to Dachau for a look. WHile not the cheeriest place on earth it is very moving and someplace we should all visit once in our lives.