WHERE TO STAY LAKE GARDA

Mar 20th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

WHERE TO STAY LAKE GARDA

I am looking at Lake Garda for our honeymoon in August for 10 nights. We are not sure which area to stay. What is the best area do you think? we would alsolike to be centrally located. Any help would be great
Mar 20th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Doble_Vergasser

We stayed at the North end in Riva del Garda. There is a small flat area that the old town sits on and then the mountains go up almost vertically. Most people say that the north end is more mountainous. If you have a car then you can get to the Trento and Dolomites areas from Riva or Torbole which is nearby.

There is one accomodation I have heard of that might be real 'honeymoon'/ special quality on Lake Garda. It is Villa Punta San Viglio (but I have not personally stayed there). I believe that it is in the Southern portion of the lake.

What type of experience are you looking for?
What type of budget expectations do you have?

Mar 20th, 2006, 01:52 PM

I SUGGEST YOU SIRMIONE WITHOUT DOUBT!
PALACE HOTEL VILLA CORTINE IN SIRMIONE http://www.palacehotelvillacortine.it
AND A VERY ROMANTIC RESTAURANT ON THE LAKE FOR DINNER (TYPICAL LAKE FISH)
AL PORTO
a Moniga del Garda (BS)
Via Porto 29
IF YOU WANT I'LL SUGGEST YOU OTHER ALTERNATIVES AND PLACES TO VISIT.
ENJOY YOURSELVES AND HAVE A NICE HONEYMOON
Mar 20th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Doble_Vergasser

Oooops should be Villa Punta San Vigilio.

Mar 20th, 2006, 03:42 PM

I would stay north on the lake--all the difference, assuming you are driving. The lake will be wall to wall with German tourists in August.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help.

We will be flying into Verona and had not planned on hiring a car. We would like to go somewhere that is relaxing not crowded with children, but also be able to go out sightseeing every couple of days.

Our budget is about £100 night.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Doble_Vergasser

To be best of my knowledge the only towns with rail service are at the very southern end. But you just take a boat from the south, up the lake (very scenic).

We stayed in Riva, at the Europa Best Western (probably 2 star). We had a balcony room in their annex (104 maybe). We could see the town square and the boat docks and had a partial view across the lake.

The Hotel Sole (in Riva) also looked nice but we were never even looked inside of it (have not stayed there).

Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:29 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Grifone in Sirmone several years ago and really enjoyed it. It is small and has a nice restaurant. It was just what we were looking for but might not be up-scale enought for a honeymoon. We took the train to Desenzano, bought bus tickets to Sirmione at the Tabacchi in the train station and caught the bus right outside the Desenzano station for the 5-8 mile ride to Sirmione. There are a LOT of hotels at Sirmione and generally a lot of German tourists.

Whereever you stay in August, MWKE sure they have airconditioning....don't assume they will.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:26 PM

My vote goes to Sirmione.