Lake Garda

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Garda

As part of our honeymoon, we will be spending 3 nights on Lake Garda, but we haven't decided where to stay - primarily because we are unclear as to what the different parts of the lake are like. Where I need help is to ascertain where we should stay among the following areas: Sirmione, Gardone Riviera, and Riva del Garda. <BR>The hotels I've researched inlcude: Villa Del Sogno, Villa Fiordaliso, Hotel Sirmione, Palazzo Arzaga, Grand Hotel Fasano and Du Lac et Du Parc Hotel &amp; Resort. Can someone provide advice on the different areas and recommend any hotels for us? Thanks!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 09:54 AM
GAC

I can comment on Gardone. Villa del Sogno is on a bluff overlooking the Lake, and has been recently updated to five-star category. Villa Fiordaliso is noted primarily for the &quot;Claretta Suite&quot; and consequently appeals to history buffs (do you know the story?), but is otherwise very small. Grand Hotel Fasano is also a five-star property, and is quite royal in character (it used to be an imperial Austrian hunting lodge). Not all rooms have air conditioning. It is more intimate, more expensive, but less centrally located than its main competitor, the Grand Hotel Gardone Riviera, which is right by the ferry dock. The Vittoriale is the major attraction in town.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 09:59 AM
GAC

Forgot to mention the Du Lac in Gardone. It is in the middle of everything, right on the main Lakeside promenade. Extremely convenient, but definitely not romantic. A three-star, modern structure. Personally, I would not stay there for a honeymoon.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 10:36 AM

Well, I absolutely loved the little town of Torri del Benaco and the beautiful small hotel with great restaurant on the water, the Gardasana.<BR><BR>see www.hotelgardesana.com
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 10:55 AM

<BR>I second Patricks response.<BR><BR>We've been going to Lake Garda since the early 1990's, and have been from Riva in the North to sirmione in the South.<BR><BR>Torri del Benaco - and the Gardesana are the best.<BR><BR>We've never stayed at the Gardesana, but the location cannot be beaten. Its an easy drive to Malcesine or Garda. Torri is simply a jewel, and easy (walking) access to the ferries.<BR>There is also a travelling market that comes to town weekly that is great fun.<BR>Fabulous eating too.<BR>
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 10:57 AM

Stay in Sirmione inside the gates.Central on the lake and a short drive to must see &quot;Gardaland&quot;.<BR><BR>Enjoy
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 01:07 PM

Is GardaLand really a MUST SEE? We are going to be in northern Italy in early July with some friends who are bringing a 5 year old. Sorry to hijack this thread but, I've been wondering if we should go there. Thanks
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:26 PM

Stay north--avoid Sirmione and Gardaland unless you have kids or love souvenir shops.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! We are looking to avoid anything of the Gardaland type on our honeymoon. We are looking for activity (sailing, hiking) coupled with seclusion in more upscale accommodations. Any specific leads on where 'up-north' we should target our search BobTheNavigator?
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 06:14 AM

The best locations are Riva and Malcesine, and then boat between the other lake villages. However, Torre del Benaco is very nice and the Fasano is a great hotel. Take your pick !
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 07:39 AM
GAC

If you are looking for a REALLY upscale, traditional (modernized turn-of-the-century) hotel, and want to avoid the southern side of the Lake (including Sirmione, which has a couple of grand places), you will find greater possibilities in Gardone Riviera, and a few miles north of Gardone (Gargnano), where the recently opened Grand Hotel Villa Feltrinelli has really opened many eyebrows. You should check it out on the web.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:14 AM
GAC

www.villafeltrinelli.com<BR>The &quot;non plus ultra&quot; on Lake Garda. Room rates (Junior Suites or better) START at Euro 850 per night, including full breakfast and personal valet service. Only for the seriously wealthy .................
Old May 20th, 2003, 02:43 PM
GAC

If you're wondering why the Villa Feltrinelli in Gargnano is so expensive, consider that it was Mussolini's headquarters during the last days of the Republic of Salo.
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:53 AM

I absolutely agree with GAC. Stay in Gardone Riviera or Gargnano. Italians prefer this part of Lake Garda (Lombardy) as well. Especially the Eastern shore (Veneto) is sort of crowded by Germans. You will find better food and more charming atmosphere on the Western shore (Lombardy).

Avoid Gardaland, but a day trip to Sirmione and/or Malcesine is a must.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 10:55 PM

Hello! I realise that I'm posting this comment a bit late, but I just wanted to warn anyone out there who is thinking of staying at the Villa Fiordaliso. This luxury hotel runs a disco just down the road and my toddler, husband, and I were kept up for several hours by the noise and vibrations of the music. When I commented on this the next morning, the woman at the desk merely shrugged and said there was nothing she could do about it. I must admit that this attitude annoyed me -- since we were paying Euro 540 per night! When I pushed, the woman got on the phone to the manager and made snide comments about me before offering a discount. There are probably more restful places to stay! (P.S. The food in the restaurant is expensive and only so-so!)