Wedding Ring..leave at home???

Mar 20th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Wedding Ring..leave at home???

Hello~

I am leaving to travel to London & Italy in a few short days (yippee!) and have a question....do you suggest leaving my wedding ring at home or is it okay to travel with it?

I have flashbacks from a decade ago when I studied abroad in Italy and remember the petty theft on trains, gypsys, etc...

Please advise Forodites!

Thanks much,

Lea Marie
Mar 20th, 2006, 10:51 PM
kmflondon

I always travel with only the jewelry I wear. So as long as you aren't going to keep it in your purse or luggage, bring it and wear it. I very much doubt someone will steal a diamond off of your finger. Now if it is a 4 carat diamond perhaps you will want other advice from people with such large diamonds. . . If it is that large, I would still wear it but make sure your insurance covers theft or loss while on vacation.

Mar 21st, 2006, 12:22 AM

I agree - unless it's some monsterous size....where it. I always travel with the jewelry that I wear most frequently on a daily basis. I think if I left my wedding rings and my other rings at home....I'd go nuts.

Better to have it with you - where you now where it is! While we were on vacation last year....our home was broken into and the rest of my good jewelry was stolen! Just can't win!
Mar 21st, 2006, 12:59 AM

I travel with my wedding ring on, but don't wear a lot of other jewelry. You can always "turn" your diamond around while out and about.
Mar 21st, 2006, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Lea
Mar 21st, 2006, 05:18 AM

If you have a five carat diamond ring you might want to be careful where you wear it! If you wear it daily, a garden variety engagement ring (2 carats or less) isn't going to be stolen off your hand on a train. There's really no security reason not to take your ring---but if you frequently take it off you might leave it behind in a hotel room and it would thus be at risk and should be left safe at home.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks KSWL!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:42 AM

Lea_Marie,with any jewelry when travelling; if you take any of it off never ever put in on the bathroom sink counter, the dresser, the nightstand etc. Either immediately put it in the small zippered compartment of your purse or put a small zippered bag in your purse and put any jewelry you are not wearing (even for 5 minutes) in there. That way you will not go off and leave your jewelry in your hotel room. And never remove a ring while washing your hands in a public restroom, just moved the ring up your finger to dry your finger.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:49 AM

I don't have a flashy diamond, but I don't take my wedding ring with me when I travel. Instead, I have a 'travelling wedding ring' - nice braided silver band that I bought for myself for about $20 before I even met my DH. DH and I have a nice little ritual of him putting in on my finger before I (or we) travel. Works for me, and I don't have to think about it twice!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:52 AM

Baby, take the ring; leave hubby behind!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:56 AM

I travel with a "decoy" ring. I also bought mine before I was married, and I wore it to deter men while traveling in SE Asia.
I take mine off too much at home (lotion, shower etc... ) that I don't need my real "bling" when traveling.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:03 AM

On one of our vacations my husband I purchased matching "travel rings"... basically inexpensive Hopi silver bands bought in Arizona.

We take them camping, kayaking, to the beach and travelling abroad without a care in the world. we leave the good ones at home.

funny thing is we have never lost one...
Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:06 AM

Lol, Intrepid
Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:45 AM

I've been married three years and already lost two wedding rings, so... I err on the side of caution and wear a fakey.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:59 AM

One more vote for leaving the ring at home. I like to travel light, with no cares that I can avoid. I just think to myself how I would feel if I lost my diamond engagement ring, and then there's no question the ring must stay home!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:04 PM

A suggestion for those of you who take off the rings and put them on a sink and then forget them. The best place to put them once you remove them is in your mouth...you definitely won't forget about them there, and you won't walk off without them . And if your hands are really THAT dirty that you wouldn't think about doing this...you probably should be wearing gloves.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:47 PM

Have a wonderful trip, Lea Marie!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:53 PM

I take either my plain band or other low key band. I have a 2 carat stone which I do leave at home. I also leave the stainless steel Rolex (bought 20 years ago while in the service) at home.

It's not that I fear they'll be ripped off my hand in the places we travel, but rather that observers might assume we have valuables in our bags or in our pockets (we don't--travel light with bare essentials).
Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice everyone! It is greatly appreciated! My flight is in 24 hours and I can hardly wait...

Ciao!

Lea Marie