favorite restaurants in rome

Oct 8th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

favorite restaurants in rome

We will be in Rome for 4 days in mid March of 2006. Can you please tell me some of your favorite inexpensive to moderate priced restaurants?

We are staying in an apartment near Piazza Navona, but we will be sight seeing in other parts of Rome so we would appreciate suggestions for all areas.

I have read through the restaurant reviews which have been very helpful.

I would define inexpensive as 20 Euros or less per person and moderate as 20-35 Euro. We usually share an antipasti, skip the primo and each order a secondo course. We usually will share one bottle of wine.

Thanks for your suggestions! Laurie
Oct 8th, 2005, 08:28 PM
rex

You might want to take a look at http://www.restaurantsomh.com/rome.htm - - if only for its geographic arrangement.

The first one on the list sounds interesting...

http://www.restaurantsomh.com/r44.htm

Best wishes,

Rex
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi Rex,
Thank you for your reply. The restaurant "Before" does look interesting! But, I can't seem to find Piazza Nicosia, 18 on my map of Rome.

Do you happen to know which area this restaurant is in?
Thanks again, Laurie
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Okay, I found it! This looks like a great option for us especially since it is only about a 3 block walk from the apartment we are renting. Thanks again for suggesting the "Before" restaurant!
Oct 9th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Just returned from Rome last week. A restaurant that we found (with difficulty!!) about 2 blocks north and 1 or 2 blocks east of Piazza Narvona was called Myasolis (I think that is it). The hard to find street is Vicolo della Vaccarella. The food is Umbrian inspired and was so good. It is listed as moderate in Frommers and it would have been if we hadn't had two bottles of wine.
Oct 9th, 2005, 08:56 AM

Hi Margo,
I think the restaurant you were thinking of is Myosotis, and it is one of my favorite restaurants in Rome too! Laurie, you may want to consider it, it is lovely and not too expensive.

Oct 9th, 2005, 11:20 AM

That is it--Myosotis (and what does that mean?). It is a good restaurant, definitely Italian, and the waitstaff were really pleasant. It was just difficult to find after our non-English speaking cab driver dropped us off in a wide spot in a street and pointed down the street as if we couldn't miss it, but of course we did!
Oct 9th, 2005, 11:38 AM

Margo, myosotis are flowers, in English, forget-me-not.
Oct 9th, 2005, 11:58 AM

It has been a while since I've been there, but I loved Myosotis as well.
I don't know if current prices are over your budget. They have a website
www.myosotis.it
Oct 9th, 2005, 12:41 PM

These may be on the linked lists but here are two in your area:

L'Orso 80 at Via Dell'Orso 33-80 - very good antipasti. Few people order more than that but my husband enjoys the Chicken Diavolo here too.

der Pallaro at Largo del Pallaro 15 (Campo dei Fiori) - Roman home cooking. Very good and reasonable.

Of course, there are lots of pizza places in Rome. Da Baffeto will be near you at Via del Governo Vecchio 114.

Oct 9th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Although near the Vatican, I can also suggest Dino & Tony's at via Leone IV 60. This is one of my new favorites and was recommended by a priest from my state and who now lives in Rome. Perhaps you could go there for lunch if you find yourself near St. Peter's.
Oct 9th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Before you head to Rome, pick up "City Secrets: Rome", a guide that you can open in any neighborhood to find an interesting sight/restaurant/gelateria/cafe wherever you happen to be.

My own favorites include Volpetti, a GREAT food shop (Via Marmorata 47 in Testaccio) closed Tuesday afternoons and Sundays. We stay in the Aventine, so Volpetti is the place to fill up a bag with wine or beer, cheese, bread, meat ... walk in the door and the boisterously friendly counter men will offer you a sample of anything you point at - and it's all the best of its kind. Perfect for those evenings when you want to crash after a hard day seeing Rome.

Why would you find yourself near Volpetti? Say you make a trip up to Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta (to look through the keyhole at the Vatican dome) and Santa Sabina (one of the earliest Christian structures in Rome). Walk down the hill to V. Marmorata and do your shopping, then continue to Porta Portese and Trastevere. Or do that in reverse, take your groceries up to the Aventine and eat them in the Parco Savelli, where you'll find shade, calm, and beautiful views over Rome.

By the way, Volpetti also owns a little pizzeria/prepared foods shop around the corner: Volpetti Piu, great for a sit-down snack or meal. Budget priced, ma delizioso.

My 2nd suggestion that's also not a restaurant is more in the center of things - or off-center, actually, as it's ann escape when you find yourself in Piazza di Spagna. At the top of the Spanish Steps, turn left (north) and you'll walk by some lovely rooftop views to the west, then you'll arrive at Cafe Ciampini, where the garden terrace is a terrific off-the-street place to enjoy a coffee, cold drink or dolce. Not in the guidebooks, but ideal after a visit to Trinita dei Monti or Villa Medici.

Finding restaurants where locals eat is always great, and you can often tell them simply by the fact that there is no English menu posted ... or watch at lunch to see where the businessmen are ducking in. But one "tourist" eatery a visitor can enjoy is on the roof of the Forum Hotel. (Also popular among locals on special occasions - we saw a family birthday party there one night.) Great views of illuminated ancient Rome. Not cheap, but fun to do once.
Oct 9th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your recommendations for great restaurants!

Dino and Tony's and L'Orso 80 are on our list. Myosotis sounds interesting and nearby to our apartment. I checked the website but I could not find any menus and any idea of the price range.

The roof of the Forum Hotel sounds like a nice place to stop for an evening drink to see the sites. I wonder if this is allowed or is it just for dinner only?

Thanks for your suggestions! I am making a list.
Laurie

Oct 9th, 2005, 10:33 PM

I second der Pallaro at Largo del Pallaro 15. The owners were kind enough to let us have lunch eventhough they were closing. We were the last ones there and ate with the staff once the restaurant closed.

The food was excellent as well. Three months later, I still think a
Oct 9th, 2005, 10:38 PM

Oops, hit post before I finished...
I still think of it.

We also had dinner twice at a restaurant at Piazza di Sant'Ignazio. The name escapes me but the food was great and inexpensive. If you're facing the Pantheon, it's to the left. Go through Via del Seminario until you reach the piazza (it's not very far).
Oct 10th, 2005, 12:01 AM

Ristorante der Pallaro was our #1 favorite restaurant in all of Italy! It's family-run, and in summer 2004 the price for a full meal with all the courses and wine and dessert was 20 euros per person. No menu, you get all the wonderful fresh food they have cooked up for the day! Enough variety to satisfy even picky teens. We sat inside with the locals and it was great atmosphere. Several others have mentioned this one as well. My teens also voted this as their #1 favorite restaurant in Italy. It is mentioned in Rick Steves Italy guidebook.
Oct 10th, 2005, 05:10 AM
rex

Belatedly saying "you're welcome".
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:46 AM

La Cisterna in Trastevere is the oldest restaurant in Rome. It dates from around 1650. The name comes from the Cistern in the basement that was used by Roman Legions. Address: Via della Cisterna, 7. We had the best meal of our lives there. There was a wonderful Italian trio going table to table singing love songs. Oh yes, the food was fabulous.
Oct 10th, 2005, 11:36 AM

We had an excellent dinner at La Sora Lella. It's a traditional restaurant in Rome, located at the Tiber Island. I don't recall how much we paid, but for what we got, a four courses meal, the price was quite resonable. It's a family restaurant, they serve traditional roman dishes. The restaurant is very small, and reservation is a must.

http://www.soralella.com/home.htm

It's also listed by Fodors.

http://travel2.nytimes.com/top/featu...=1083919792028
Oct 10th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Oh, yes, sorry, here is the English version of the Sora lella web site:

http://www.soralella.com/englishversion/homeeng.htm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO