Where to stay in Umbria???

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Liz

Where to stay in Umbria???

I have three days to spend in Umbria. Any suggestions on which hotels? Which cities do you reccommend?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Helen Donegan

There are so many places Liz - where do I start??<BR>I live in Perugia. Are you going to be driving around?<BR>Do you like to be based in a town so you can walk around in the evening? or do you prefer to be in the country?<BR>What is your budget?<BR>And infomation from you will help you get suggestions.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:15 AM
paul

Liz, my wife and I spent four days in Villa Pambuffetti last November, and loved it. I'm not sure what you're looking to spend (we got a good deal because it was off season), but I'd recommend it highly. It's in (or just outside the walls of) Montefalco, which is a perfect small town with incredible views of the valley(it's known as the balcony of Umbria). It's not far from Assisi and Spello, and we found it a good spot from which to tour Umbria.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.<BR>The hotel is listed in Karen Brown's:<BR><BR>http://www.karenbrown.com/italyinns/...mbuffetti.html

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Marj

In Orvieto, Palazzo Piccolomini

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:36 AM
xxx

Liz - we stayed at Il Falconiere, a great Relais Chateaux property just outside of Cortona. Cortona is the edge of Tuscany, so it's easy to visit some Umbrian towns from this location. We visited Perugia, Spello and Spoleto and some Tuscan towns (Montalcino and Montepulciano) from our base in Cortona. Have a great time.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Dayle

Hi Liz,<BR><BR>We stayed at Palazzo Piccolomini in Orvieto for 3 nights. Hotel is very nice & purely Italian. Loved Orvieto. Did day trips to Todi & Deruta, Civita di Bagnoreggio.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Ian

I would highly recommend the Fonte Cesia in Todi. Right near the Piazza & close to everything in this 'approachable' town. 186 Euro - ask for room 112 - the one with the big patio that looks over the rooftops. We spent 4 days there in June & used it as a base for lower Tuscany & Umbria. Deruta (ceramics) is 20 min., Orvieto 45 min., Roman ruins @ Carsulae 20 min., Montalcino 2 1/2 hrs. Todi has a good selection of restaurants & is not too touristy. We loved it.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:48 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Liz, With only 3 days in Umbria I would stay central. Look at the Palazzo Bocci in Spello, the one in Montefalco above, or several good ones in Assisi.<BR>I feel that Orvieto and Cortona are too far for a good central base. The village of Bevagna is also a good location. Listen to Helen--she is the local expert.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 12:00 PM
ann

For something different than the above suggestions, try the Etruscan Chochotel in Perugia. It's modern (so doesn't have that charm the older places do) and it's in the ugly lower part of the city. But it's convienient to the highway for day trips, has a pool (on the roof) - which saved us as we were traveling with two kids and it was in the 90s, is air conditioned and has the best breakfast buffet of any hotel we stayed in (hotel is chocolate themed and so is the breakfast). Perugia is a nice mid sized hilltown/city but it has a great underground ruins that you go through after parking in the parking garage. You go up a series of escalators and then walk through this eerie etruscan ruin - and it's free. And then you're up in the old city center. From Perugia we did day trips to Gubbio, Cortona, Assisi, Spello and Deruta - all within less than an hour drive. From there we went to Orvieto and that could have been a day trip also, about an hour.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Marilyn

I love the town of Assisi so we stay the the Hotel Umbra. It's first class with nice people and a great restaurant. M.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Marilyn

Another vote for Palazzo Piccolomini in Orvieto. I've just returned from my second stay there and find it quite delightful. If you do decide to make Orvieto your base, I would be happy to recommend several incredible restaurants there.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Judi

I loved the little town of Spello and the Hotel Palazzo Bocci. It is lovely and the staff is very nice. Another good hotel in Spello is La Bastiglia which has a wonderful restaurant. <BR><BR>I really enjoyed Umbria and hope you will as well.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 01:43 AM
Helen Donegan

I know all of the hotels already mentioned and have work with most of them. I would not stay in the Etruscan Chochotel in Perugia although it is one of the few hotels within easy reach of the centre of Perugia which has a swimming pool.<BR>I love the Villa Pambuffetti in Montefalco but my favourite place at the moment is Bettona - peace and beauty but near the main road system which links nearly all towns in Umbria.<BR>Have a look at this page - might give you some ideas:<BR>http://www.italywithus.biz/main_pages/breaks.htm<BR><BR>Where ever you end up I hope you enjoy yourself.<BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 09:53 PM
topper

to the top