meander through Umbria

Apr 28th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

meander through Umbria

Any suggestions re meandering through Umbria (from the Southeast- near Ascoli Piceno in Le Marche) with eventual destination of Tuscany (Chianti region and Florence)
Apr 28th, 2007, 08:04 AM

Hi lycee,

I'm not looking at a map right now, but on 2 different trips, I really enjoyed the following towns:

Orvieto (stayed 3 nts)
Civita di Bagnoreggio
Todi
Gubbio (stayed 1 nt)
Assisi (stayed 1 nt)
Spello (stayed 2 nts)
Montefalco
Cortona (Umbria) would fit nicely if you are heading to Chianti

Also visited Deruta for ceramics, but was disappointed in the quality. I think we were looking in the wrong (newer) part of town.

I would put Assisi and Orvieto at the top as far as things to see. The others are small hilltowns, each with its own charm and Montefalco with the devine Sagrantino di Montefalco wine!

Buon viaggio!
Apr 28th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Spoleto. I played in a music festival there for 4 years, every summer. If you like opera/chamber music...it's a great place. The old town up the hill is beautiful, nice duomo, and a big fortress at the top.

T.
Apr 28th, 2007, 08:13 AM
J62

"borrowing lycee's thread, pardon.

Dayle,
Where did you stay in Assisi and Spello?

I have 2 nights between our week in Tuscany (near Montepulciano) and departure from FCO. I've tentatively booked Palazzo Bocci in Spello for those 2 nights.

We are planning to visit Assisi enroute but willing to change plans if staying in Assisi is better. Or we could or change hotels if alternate in Spello is recommended.
Apr 28th, 2007, 08:16 AM

On your way towards Spoleto, you should be sure not to miss the lovely Piano Grande region, between Norcia and Castelluccia...
Apr 28th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Hi J,

If you have a res at Palazzo Bocci - consider yourself blessed! It's the nicest place I've stayed in Italy in 3 trips. Spello is a wonderful, tiny, quiet place to stay. Very few tourists, gorgrous views. Be sure to have dinner at Il Molina. I was disappointed in La Cantina.

I was supposed to stay in Gubbio at Relais Palazzo Ducale, but my room was totally unacceptable and I left after the first night. Hence the unplanned 1 nt stay at Assisi.

My Assisi hotel was Porto Nuove, a 3* just outside the gate. Just walked up to the visitor's info office to find it. Nothing fancy or special, but at 50E /nt with free parking and a very good breakfast a great value. Plus, it was blissfully quiet which I desperately needed after the non-stop, all night church bells in Gubbio!

Hope this helps
Apr 28th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Spello is a wonderful town and easy distance from Assisi. We had planned on staying in Spoleto and found it too busy for our liking. We ended up moving our base to Spello and were so glad we did. I was a nice quiet way to end each day. It's very central to Assisi so no need to spend a few nights in each. You could base yourself in one place.

My photos are at this link if you want to see some photos of Spello:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/crazy4travel/main?view=1
Apr 28th, 2007, 01:59 PM

"Meander through Umbria," a beautiful phrase. Ahhh....
Apr 28th, 2007, 03:52 PM
J62

Lovely pictures Crazy Kelly. We just looked through every single one - some great shots, and the kids loved the cat pictures.

Apr 28th, 2007, 06:32 PM

Thank you J62..I enjoy meeting the locals...critters included.
Oct 12th, 2008, 06:05 PM

bookmarking
Oct 13th, 2008, 04:50 AM

Great pictures Crazy. I have traveled the same roads in France and Italy. It was nice seeing and experiencing your excursions with the same eyes. You may want to add The Basque Country to your list of "to do's. Umbria was a favorite Lyceemoliere and the area around Lago Trasimeno rural and beautiful. Fun getting lost and finding little treasures in unsuspecting places.
Oct 13th, 2008, 04:49 PM

We enjoyed Assisi more than any other town in Umbria. It's very special AFTER the tour busses leave, and has several excellent restaurants. Aside from the basilica, there are no "famous sites," so meandering is very much the order of the day. If you could spare 2-3 nights, you would not regret it. After a while, the "peace" of Assisi begins to reach you. In any event, have a great trip.