Reload this Page >

Where to stay in the Ticino region?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Mia

Hello! We will be spending a long weekend in the Ticino area before doing some business in Milan in late September. The general consensus seems to be that Locarno is the place to be. Do you agree? Where (specifically) should we stay?<BR><BR>Here are some of our preferences:<BR>1. We'd like a place (both town and hotel) that is child-friendly (but not watered-down and sterile) because we will be traveling with a (generally) well-behaved two-year-old.<BR>2. We'd like a place where there are things to do, but where "nightlife" is kept to a minimum. <BR>3. We enjoy nosing around looking at handicrafts and artwork, but not for hours and hours. And we enjoy not-too-strenuous outdoor activities, mostly the ones that don't really count as "exercise." <BR>4. Price is not terribly important, although staying below the equivalent of around US$250/night for the whole family is certainly preferable.<BR>5. We will probably have a car with us, but we don't feel that we have to take it everywhere with us. Ferries, funiculars, walking (but not too, too far - see above) etc. are part of the adventure for us.<BR><BR>Also, I realize that we will only be there for a short time, so any "must sees" for the area would be welcome. Many thanks for any help you can provide!<BR><BR>-Mia <BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Tony

I think Lugano has a bit more going for it than Locarno. Good lake trips on ferries, and a few funicular rides right in the town.<BR>Last time I was there I stayed at the Hotel du Lac, which was a very comfortable and friendly 3 star with generous sized rooms, and a view to die for, situated less than a mile from the town centre and right on the lake.<BR>Incidentally the public ferry rides are more fun than the structured lake cruise, which is a bit too long.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:20 AM
jw

Hi, Mia. I love Ticino, which you will already know if you've visited our 'Support Group--' threads. Both Locarno and Lugano have reason to brag; they are beautiful. Lugano is more sophisticated, but I think Locarno is more family-friendly. I always stay a small town on the east side of Lago Maggiore, but if you have not already, please read Grasshopper's thread about Minusio/Locarno. Her hotel sounds like it might be what you're looking for.<BR><BR>Both lakes Locarno and Lugano offer lakeboat opportunities. If you choose Lugano, you probably know about the lovely lake villages of Gandria and Morcote. If you choose Maggiore, and that is my recommendation, be sure to find time to visit Ascona -- you'll see many intriguing shops and galleries. And if you'd like some quiet time, Isole di Brissago has a lovely garden. J.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Mbln74a

We fell in love with Ascona & the Romantik Hotel on the lake..the rooms are something else, all very quaint & lots of antiques..large too.<BR>Enjoy your trip. Linda

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Ingo

I also suggest Lake Maggiore (Locarno/Ascona). Locarno is larger, a town, and Ascona is a village. Both are family friendly. Check www.maggiore.ch for accommodation. I am sure you will find a lot of hotels in your price range.<BR><BR>Don't miss the convent Madonna del Sasso above Locarno, accessible by funicular. From there a cable car and a chair lift take you further to the mountains (Cimetta, Cardada) with wonderful views.<BR><BR>Just stroll through the old town of Locarno north of Piazza Grande with authentic Italian atmosphere and nice shops, restaurants, cafes etc.<BR><BR>As jw suggested, a ferry ride to the Brissago Islands with botanical garden is a must. Have a short break at Ascona and stroll through the beautiful village. Again lots of shops, etc.<BR><BR>If you are looking for typical handicrafts and artwork make an excursion (best by car) to the Verzasca Valley. The village Sonogno at the end of the valley has a shop with such stuff. And, BTW, the valley is very beautiful.<BR><BR>In case you find enough time I recommend to visit Bellinzona with its three castles (UNESCO World heritage site), churches etc.<BR><BR>Enjoy!<BR><BR>Ingo

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Mia

Thank you for your replies! I did take a look at Grasshopper's account - sounds wonderful, although I think I'd prefer a hotel that's in town. <BR><BR>Has anyone heard anything about the Belvedere? Looks nice on their website.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Mel

I think Locarno or Ascona would fit the bill for your needs. I love both of these areas!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 11:22 AM
BTilke

If you decide to stay in a small town outside one of the main Ticino cities (Lugano, Locarno, Bellinzona), we highly recommend the Hotel Parco Lago in Caslano. Caslano is a small town right by the Ponte Tresa bridge into Italy. Rooms are quite large, with very nice kitchenettes, spacious balconies, and the hotel has its own small park with kids play area and swimming beach right on Lake Lugano. The hotel has a restaurant as well. Lakefront rooms are about $130 a night (includes breakfast and parking). <BR>Although you would need a car to do most sightseeing, there is a tram that runs from the Ponte Tresa all the way into Lugano. It's more a worker's tram than a tourist tram, but you do pass some lovely scenery along the way.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 11:30 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Mia, Ingo has excellent advice above. I too would stay in Locarno/Ascona with a 2 year old. Do not miss the Centrovalli train that takes you thru some fabulous vistas--a real treat. Also, take the hydrofoil down as far as Stresa and see Isola Bella.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Ingo

Mia, the Belvedere is wonderful! Make sure to book a room with lake view in the old villa. It is right on the funicular stop to the convent I mentioned above. Very good choice.<BR><BR>Ingo