Where to stay in Fussen? Innsbruck?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - my husband and I will be traveling through Fussen and Innsbruck on our honeymoon in September. I am looking at three hotels in Fussen: the Mueller, the Christine, and the Hirsch. Anyone have anything to say about them? I've looked on tripadvisor and the reviews seem pretty much equal. We definitely will want to see the castles etc. Also trying to decide between the Schwarzer Adler, the Goldener Adler and the Neue Post in Innsbruck. Any help would be great! Thanks/
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:09 AM

I have stayed at both Hotel Mueller and the Neue Post in Innsbruck. I liked both of these hotels very much. The Mueller had wonderful food and my room had a direct view of Neuschwanstein. The Neue Post is a Best Western and the rooms were very nice. The buffet breakfast was good too. I do not think you could go wrong with either of these two hotels.
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:13 PM

There is a Hotel Mueller in Hohenschwangau--I don't know that there is one in Fuessen as well.

If you are considering places to stay in Hohenschwangau, I would recommend the Romantic Pension Albrecht. We stayed there in June, two years ago. We paid 64 euro for a spacious double room with balcony and modern private bath, including a real breakfast and parking.

It is within easy walking distance of the ticket center, and Neuschwanstein castle is directly overhead. But it is out of the daytime tourist hustle-bustle of the village center.

http://www.albrecht-neuschwanstein.de/preis_engl.htm

A nearby restaurant that was excellent, within a 5 minute drive of the Pension on the road to Schwangau at Alpenhotel Meier.

http://www.alpenhotel-allgaeu.de/engl/e-index.htm
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Peep

I had a semi bad experience at the Neue Post and wouldn't stay there again. I'd go for a smaller family run place.

Old May 20th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your responses. Good to know about the Neue Post and that great restaurant. I was leaning towards the Muller, but a little confused about its location. Is Hohenschwangau not walkable to the castles in Fussen? We will have a car, but wanted to be close. Leaning towards Schwarzer Adler in Innsbruck now. Thanks again!
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:39 AM

miac, the castles are not actually in Fussen. Hohenschwangau is the town that the castles are located in. Hohenscwangau is also the name of the smaller castle that King Ludwig II was born and raised in. Fussen is small (and very cute) town about 5-10 minutes away from Hohenschwangau.

We too stayed at the Pension Albrecht, just a few days ago actually (and per Rufus's suggestion), and found it to be very nice and we had an excellent view of Neuschwanstein from our balcony. The breakfast was wonderful.

Tracy
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:56 AM

We stayed at the Alstadt zum Hechten in Fussen. It was very comfortable - big rooms, nice breakfast, restaurant and bar. We had a car,but my kids wanted to take the bus (about a block from hotel, by the train station)to the castles.
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:54 PM

Hi, Tracy. Thanks for mentioning that the Albrecht is still nice. It's been a couple of years now since we stayed there and it's nice to have confirmation that it's still a good place to recommend.