Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Florence...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 09:07 AM
denise

I'm making my first trip to Florence this fall and need to book a room. I'm looking for advice on where to stay -- not specific hotels per se, rather what areas of the city are the most lively and interesting. (For example, when in Paris, I prefer to stay in the Left Bank.) Is staying on the river a mistake or a good idea? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Amy

Hotel Pierre. Great hotel in a great location...close to everything!<BR>www.remarhotels.com<BR>A hotel anywhere in the historical center is good...Florence is not that large, so everything is fairly close together.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Debra

I agree with Amy in that Florence is small enough that any hotel in the historic centre would be a good location from which to see all the sights. I would recommend the HotelBrunelleschi - just behind the Duomo, in a beautifully converted Byzantine tower. Simple but classy decor in a wonderful spot. Take a look at www.venre.com for details of the hotel & booking...It also has its own website: www.hotelbrunelleschi.it (plays Italian music!), but rates look cheaper on the venere site (similar prices to Hotel Pierre, as suggested by Amy) The choice is yours....

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Lisa

I stayed at the Hotel Lungarno 2 years ago. Small, elegant boutique hotel, excellent service. One of the nicest hotel stays...beautiful well appointed room, small but elegant with balcony overlooking the Arno. We walked everywhere from this location. It is on the opposite side of the river than the historical center, steps away from the Ponte Vecchio. Excellent location because you get a reprieve from the crowds. I did see an interior room without a balcony and it seemed very small and dark...would pay the extra for the balcony w/great view. They also own the Continental, which is just across the river, and I think they just finished a renovation on that hotel... their rates are lower.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:36 AM
carol

We stayed in a converted convent near San Lorenzo market. It was convenient to everything, but then, that is Florence. Make sure to get a room that does not face the street as the market vendors pull their carts to market around 4 am and they are very noisy.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:31 AM
Tess

Florence is alot smaller than Paris. In Florence the common frame of reference to how close something is to the historic center is where it's located re: the Duomo. I stayed at a charming little B&B, Il Porcellino, BUT it's overlooking one of the markets (Mercato Nuevo) and you could hear the vendors early in the morning. The "other" side of the river is quieter.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:22 PM
Red

I second Debra's suggestion: www.hotelbrunelleschi.it <BR><BR>We had a lovely room at the top of the hotel with a view of the Duomo (only the tip-top of it). We had to climb several stairs, like we were going to an attic, but it was worth it. Giant marble bath also. Great location too.