where to stay in Albaicin (Granada)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Granada for a few days in February and this old Moorish quarter sounds up my alley. I cannot seem to find a hotel (me and my wife) or apartment for under say 150/night. Anyone got any “off the beaten path” suggestions? I have tried all the guidebooks and VirtualTourist route.

Thanks.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 12:39 PM

I asked a lot of questions about Granada last fall..maybe you will find some info for your trip here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35092028
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 02:01 PM

hello, try this place - we stayed there in Oct last year and loved it.
not sure about the price

http://www.hotelcasamorisca.com/eng_...itaciones.html
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 02:35 PM
yk

Not in the Albaicin, but I stayed at the BW Dauro II last year. Just checking the site briefly for a random date in Feb shows a rate of €80.
http://www.hoteles-dauro.com/ingles/...ern-dauro.html
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

thank you folks
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 06:02 PM

I am pretty shure the thread posted by Ekscrunchy mentioned the Alcubilla del Caracol recommened by Maribel. A friend of mine stayed there recently at Maribel's recommendation & loved it.

http://www.alcubilladelcaracol.com/index_en.htm
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 06:03 PM

oops I meant sure not "shure" (meds)
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

thank you all. my wife has her heart set on the old Moorish quarter, el albaicin....but a place with an Alhmabra view is proving hard for me to find in my price range.

do places drop their rates for low season as it gets closer?

that is....if a place is telling me 125 euro now....might they recalibrate once the Christmas holiday is past? I would think January would be slow and they'd want to fill properties even if they have to cut rates 30%. I am honestly surprised that Granada is proving to me costlier than Madrid or Seville for what I need.

Should I wait?
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 09:26 AM

we paid about 140 euros at Casa Morisca but I think they have cheaper rooms.
If you write to a hotel and ask - you will have better info. re dates you are looking for.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 09:33 AM

madferit,
I have a file on Granada that you can download in pdf format (using the latest version of Acrobat Reader) with my reviews of several of the Albaicin hotels, including the Casa Morisca. Of all the boutique properties in that neighborhood, I would choose it or as a second choice the Ladron del Agua (a Rusticae property).
www.maribelsguides.com

My favorite boutique hotel in Granada is on the Granada hill-the Carmen de la Alcubilla del Caracol that amsdon has mentioned, which we simply loved (we had the very private tower room, La Torre, with full sit out terrace overlooking the city with the Sierra Nevada as a backdrop.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Oops! By "it", I meant the Casa Morisca, where danon stayed.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM

We stayed two nights at a B&B, Casa del Aljarife a few months ago, for less than 100 euros /per night...and our room had fantastic view of the Alhambra, and other views down into courtyards below, with the wonderful tiled-roof and stucco architecture. Close to the plazas and sites around the Albaicin. This place was a real bargain. It is an old nobleman's home from the 1600s. Felt very authentic, and so unlike an ordinary hotel. We loved it. Just ask for the host to meet you at the Plaza Mayor and walk up...it's a 5 minute walk, but until you get oriented in the Albaicin, those streets are twisty, with poor signage.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My husband and I stayed in a double room at this hotel, on the edge of the Albaicin area.

http://www.hotelzaguan.com/

My sister and her friend also stayed there, in a twin room.

Our room was fine, perhaps on the small side and my sister's room was unusual in that you walked in the door then had to go up a spiral staircase (with luggage!) to reach the room. The large reception area of the hotel was quite attractive with comfortable chairs etc.

The Alhambra is on the opposite hillside. The hotel website says 69 euro per double but that must change with peak/off peak seasons. The staff there were all helpful and there is a nice bar underneath where you can have breakfast or wine or dinner. Low key but nice.

We walked through the Albaicin area and left quite spooked. Locals had put out a few large signs saying there had been serious muggings in the area and warning tourists to be careful. This was 2 years ago. I have no idea if the signs were genuine but we didn't hang around.

The area where the hotel is was full of tourists and close to lots of places to eat.

Hope this helps.
Kay
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 11:23 AM
yk

KayF - that was interesting what you wrote:
<i>We walked through the Albaicin area and left quite spooked. Locals had put out a few large signs saying there had been serious muggings in the area and warning tourists to be careful. This was 2 years ago.</i>

I was there earlier this year in Feb. I went to the Mirador de San Nicolas in the Albaicin to watch sunset. After sunset, I decided to walk down thru Albaicin to the river.

After a few minutes' of walking through tiny and twisty streets, I got really spooked myself too. It was dark and there were very few street lights. Most of the houses were dark inside too. The streets are so narrow and windy that it was impossible for me to tell if I were going the right way (except I knew I was going downhill). Fortunately, I caught up with a couple (locals) after a few minutes and just followed them.

In the meantime, I kept thinking that if there were thieves or muggers, I would be dead meat as the whole area seemed very deserted.

I never saw any warning signs that you mentioned, unless they were in Spanish only, then I would have just ignored them as I don't read/speak Spanish.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM

&quot;After a few minutes' of walking through tiny and twisty streets, I got really spooked myself too. It was dark and there were very few street lights.'

We walked all over Albaicin BUT during the day. It is a lovely and interesting part of Granada.
Don't miss it - fantastic views of Alhambra !
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 05:48 AM

Casa Rafa, also known as El Numero 8, has lovely apartments in the Albaicin that rent for 50-60 Euros per night. http://www.elnumero8.com/

Fred