Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay for 3 nights, in between Gordes and Nice?? Help!

Mar 24th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

I was hoping that smeone could help me decide where to stay in between our 3 nights in Gordes and our 2 nights in Nice??
I've considered staying in the area of Aix-en-Provence, or maybe Moustiers-Ste-Marie (to see Gorges du Verdon, perhaps?).
I have searched for other threads for ideas but have come up with very little info.
I will be on my honeymoon with my soon-to-be husband and would like to stay in charming, yet affordable and not too luxurious, accomodations. Le Pigonnet in Aix, for example, is too pricey for us.

Any and all suggestions are so whole-heartedly welcome!!!

Thanks in advance!
Mar 25th, 2005, 07:42 AM

I like the village of Tourtour, which has several hotels & restaurants. It's a small village (population 500), very cute, and the area around it is charming. There are other very pretty villages in the region - Lourges, Entrecasteaux, Cotignac, Aups, Salerns (tile center) and Thoronet Abbey is close by . We've stayed in a Gite in that area for 4 weeks. Hotels range from the Bastide de Tourtour, where rooms are 152 to 241 to Le Mas des Collines where rooms are 95. There are five hotels listed in my red Michelin Guide. There is a Michelin 1 star restaurant in the area, but it's kinda expensive - meals 50 to 80 - it has rooms 80 yp 100. It's 2 K out of town. I would recommend 2 nights in Tourtour, and 1 night in Aix.

I have a 20+ page itinerary that describes this area, along with a very scenic drive through the countryside from St Paul/Nice area to the Tourtour region. E-maiol me at [email protected] if you want a copy.

St Tropez is between Gordes & Nice, but that's so obvious that I'm assuming that you have already considered it.

I think Moustiers is a little too isloated for 3 night - perhaps too isloated for 2 nights even. I am not a fan of the area just east of Aix - the St Victoire region, although the mountain is pretty - but you can see it easily as you drive by on the freeway to Aix

Happy Honeymoon

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Fraicisco), Ca
Mar 25th, 2005, 10:49 AM

There are so many possibilities, but I think Aix is a good one. I did something similar a couple years ago, staying near Carpentras a few days and then just outside Aix a few more. I assume you have a car?

I can recommend without any qualifications the Mas d'Entremont just NW of Aix. It is a 4* lovely place with a wonderful restaurant and isn't as expensive as the Pigonnet. Here is their web site
http://www.masdentremont.com/

I did find it a little difficult to locate coming from the Marseille airport (I knew where it was, just not how to get on the right road going through Aix city). However, if you are coming from the west, it is much easier, as it's right off the N7. They have instructions on the web site and a map.

I think that would be a good idea if you want to stay near Aix, but something near the beach could work, also.
Mar 25th, 2005, 11:02 AM

I'll second the D'Entremont. But we were ther in 2002 and the prices were starting at 212€ for two plus, 14 € each for breakfast. It's a lovely place for just married!
Mar 25th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Bonsoir Mimi !

Francis and I loved our staying at "Le Mas d'Entremont" in 2002 "even if" we were not "just married", lol ! But we could not have stayed for more than 3 days because our stomachs would not have "borne" the excellent breakfasts and superb dinners
Mar 25th, 2005, 02:20 PM

If you'd like a a rather old-fashioned inn, take a look at La Grillade au Feu de Bois in the little town of Le Luc. The hotel is set up from the route nationale and has lovely grounds and a beautiful pool. Meats cooked on an outdoor grill (seating on the terrace is very romantic!) are featured at dinner, and the food is quite good. Two spaniels greet diners and make them feel welcome.

This hotel is the only one we've stayed at in Provence to have screens on the windows, an excellent feature. Rooms are very traditional, but bathrooms are modern. The proprietors also have a small antique business on the premises.

Nearby you can visit the Abbaye de Thoronnet and the town of Les Arcs, with its interesting church and museum.
Mar 25th, 2005, 02:48 PM

cigalechanta, did you actually stay overnight at Mas d'Entremont, or just see the price list? I just wondered because their price list says double rooms start at only around 125-150 euro, and I only paid around 125 euro in 2001, just about a year before you.

I guess the price list is confusing if those room rates are per person, so are really double that, but I know I only paid around 125 euro for a room there and it was peak season rates. The breakfast is expensive, though.

So, that would mean their rates have almost doubled in a few years, which could have happened, I guess, and would be too bad. This is their price list right now:
http://www.masdentremont.com/tarifsuk.htm
I know some of those rates are not per person, as they show one suite priced at 240 euro for two people and the exact same room at 262 for three people. That must be for the room, not per person, and I think that is one of their most expensive rooms. I had a parc room which is listed on there at 150 euro in high season, and that seems about right if I paid around 125 in 2001.
Mar 25th, 2005, 05:18 PM

The rate we were quoted for last September at Le Mas d'Entremont was 150€ for a double. Not bad, considering what a good place it is.

I think the OP was talking about only one night's stay between Gordes and Nice, in which case I think Moustiers-Ste-Marie would be fine. It's a beautiful spot, and the faience made there is exquisite. For a splurge, have lunch at Les Santons, near the church.
Mar 25th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Les Santons is definitely the place to go for lunch in Mousties, and the drive along the gorge is very senic. We took the southern route on the way to Nice and stopped overnight at the Chateau de Trigance to break up the drive. We weren't terribly impressed ith the hotel however.

To find the Mas d'E on the map, look for Celony.
Mar 25th, 2005, 05:49 PM

Christina, we stayed there in 2002 and forgive me for leaving out it was 1/2 pension. I dug out my old notes.
I bought one of those Anduze vases after seeing them there but it's so cold here in winter I must leave it inside. so I uuse the inside for storage and stack blankets on top(my place is small)
Marie, it seems to me, you are always on a honeymoon, tho married many years.
underhill, I'm noting your suggestion at Le Luc and am also suggesting the recommendastion for lunch at Les santons.
We stayed at the expensive Bastide Marie as our Special one night but later found a wonderful B&B there.
www.labouscatire.com
Mar 25th, 2005, 05:55 PM

sorry, that url no longer works?
i'll try to google it.
Mar 25th, 2005, 05:58 PM

http://www.labouscatiere.com/
I have trouble typing, here it is.
Mar 26th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

My - thanks for all the suggestions on here!
Yesterday I did a bit more research on areas between Gordes and Nice, and I am considering the following (and yes we do have a car):
Depart Gordes - make our way down to Arles, via St. Remy and les Baux. Arrive afternoon in Arles and stay there one night.
Next day, head towards the Cassis area to explore, have lunch, then leisurely drive to St Maximin la Ste Beaume, to stay at the Couvent Royal there.
Next day, early drive to les Gorges du Verdon to explore the area. Back to the Couvent at night.
Next day, to Nice.

Ok - I realize that I'm kinda backtracking going to Arles, but our first thought of staying in Aix was deterred by quite a few posts here stating that Aix is not all that great. And of course, we do want to see Arles, so rather than heading there during our 3-night stay in Gordes, we figured we'd stay there one night and enjoy the Saurday market there the next morning, before heading to Cassis area.

What do you guys think of my new thoughts?

By the way, Cigalechanta, that B&B in Moustiers is EXACTLY the kind of charming place we would love to stay at! Is there anything like that around Aix? The Mas D'Entremont still seems a bit too posh for our tastes.

Thanks again!
Mar 26th, 2005, 08:29 AM

springchicken,
this one is outside Gordes.

http://rdlierre.free.fr/les%20chambres.htm
Mar 26th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Le Mas d'Entremont is not at all posh--that word would apply to the Bastide de Moustiers. The Mas is pretty casual in feel.
Mar 26th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Sorry, spring chicken I should have given you the simpler url to see rates.

http://ralentidulierre.free.fr/
Mar 27th, 2005, 06:43 AM

To Mimi : and bises ("north winds" as one of my American friends says... !!!)
Mar 27th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

I actually already am booked at the Mas de la Beaume in Gordes, thanks.

Any comments regarding my new itinerary would be nice, please!
Mar 29th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Try the Augustins hotel in Aix (http://www.hotel-augustins.com/). It's in a small street right off the Cours Mirabeau in an old 12th century convent. Staff are very friendly, and the rooms are quiet and comfortable. Best 2 rooms are the ones with a terrace, overlooking the old church. They are about 140 euro.