Reload this Page >

Where to stay around Lake Como?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Stephanie

This is our first trip to Italy. We would like to fly into Milan then spend a few days traveling around Lake Como. We like to stay at B&B's and/or smaller, more private places. We are also seeking the best way to get around the Lake; bus, car, etc. Also, how many days should we expect to spend traveling around the Lake?

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Rex

Excerpted from a previous post on http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&amp;tid=1399858<BR><BR>Author : Rex ([email protected])<BR>Date: 08/13/2002, 05:41 pm<BR><BR>Message: ...booking around Grand Prix time is very, very tough.<BR><BR>For what it's worth, we got very nice help two years ago from<BR><BR>Andrea<BR>ITALIAN CONNECTION<BR>Salita Monastero 6/A<BR>BELLAGIO (CO) 22021 ITALY<BR>Tel: 031 952059 Fax: 031 952114<BR>E.Mail: [email protected]<BR>Web Site:- www.icbellagio.com<BR>I.A.T.M. A.S.T.A.<BR>[email protected] OR [email protected]<BR><BR>No correspondence with this person since.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 07:22 PM
up

for Stephanie<BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 07:57 AM
jack

We stayed in Venenna on como.Then we traveled around the late by boat.Very nice place.We drove as we were heading to Bolzano but the train goes to Verenna often in 1 hr.I have the places we stayed if you are interested.chow

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:51 AM
julie

My husband and I spent a week on Lake Como. You would only want to travel by boat, as the lake is very long and thin. (To go to another village can take a few minutes by boat, but much longer by car.)<BR><BR>If you allot yourselves 3-4 days on Lake Como, you will have gotten a good taste of the place and have had the opportunity to visit many small villages. Bellagio is quite beautiful! We stayed at Villa Serbelloni, and although it wasn't small, it was very lovely (though fairly pricey.)<BR><BR>This is a part of Italy that requires nothing of you...just relax, have slow meals and people watch. It is one of the most beautiful places we've been. Enjoy!

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:18 PM
Rex

I would diagress slightly about the value of a car if you are staying in Menaggio, for traveling along the western edge (long axis) of the lake.<BR><BR>But not denying that boat is good for everything else.<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:05 PM
Deloris

Albergo Terminus on the lake in Como right by the center of Old Town and the best silk shops and on the waterfront steps from the lake boats that take you to all the fabulous resorts that charge too much to stay in their stuffy hotels!<BR>We got our package thru Luxury Link.com last April and last check their last bid is still a fabulous deal. The hotel is small, chic and so convenient to all the area. Buy day or week passes for the boats and the train station is near by in a taxi to catch a train to Milan<BR>(1 hour) or the rest of Italy. <BR>Belaggio does not look like the one in<BR>Las Vegas, thank God!Switzerland is up the road. Enjoy!<BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:01 PM
Bob

This past summer we flew into Milan and drove to Bellagio staying at the Belvedere. We used the car once to drive the interior road to Como. This drive is not recommended for the weak of heart, very narrow winding road. I would think 3 days is sufficient to see the area and using the boat is the way to go. Everything is very laid back but beautiful. The views from our balcony at the hotel were magnificient. I guess having the car to drive to SML on the next let of our trip was convient but we probably could have rented the car on our departure day in Como and saved some money. I recommend the hotel, friendly people, good breakfast (had dinner there one night and it was really good) and don't forget the view. Ask for a room in the rear with a balcony. Have fun.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Claudia

We thoroughly enjoyed our two-night stay at Hotel Olivedo in Varenna. http://www.olivedo.it/English/index.htm The dinners at the hotel were very tasty.

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My husband and I stayed for two nights at Albergo Milano in Varenna and I can't begin to describe how much we loved it! We arrived in Varenna exhausted after a week of sightseeing. Our train came in after dark, so the first thing that we did the next morning was check out the view from the terrace, which overlooked the lake. The view was absolutely breathtaking! The hotel itself is one of the most charming (and immaculate) I've ever seen....and I would take the owners home with me if I could! (What I wouldn't give for a bowl of their pumpkin soup!!)
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We spent 3 full days at Lake Como which was just right. We stayed at the Grand Hotel Tremezzo in Tremezzo which is across the lake from Bellagio. I would recommend staying in the Bellagio/Tremezzo area. We found this area of the lake to be very beautiful.<BR><BR>I would suggest that you have a car but it is not absolutely necessary. A car will free you up from ferry schedules. Driving from town to town was quite delightful and very easy. But be sure to spend time on the ferries because it truly gives you a great perspective of the surrounding mountains.