Day on Lake Como

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 03:18 PM
tig
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day on Lake Como

What's the best way for family of 4 to spend the day on Lake Como if only have one day to see the villages/lake? (staying in Varenna 2 nights but arrive late Thurs pm and leave on Sat. a.m. after picking up car at Como Sat a.m.) Do we get a day ferry ticket and hop on/off and what should we be sure to see/do?
What does day ferry ticket cost and also anyone know what hydrofoil Como-Varenna costs?
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:47 PM
rex

This is a "non-answer"; I have confidence that someone will provide the answer you are seeking.

If two people visit Lake Como - - one for 12 hours, and one for 96 hours - - and the first "accomplishes" as much as the second...

...then the first doesn't quite "get" Lake Como.

I know that sounds harsh and cynical - - and I don't mean to imply that a 12, 24 or 36 hour visit to Lake Como is &quot;wrong&quot;... nor that I (we) did it &quot;better&quot; on our four night stay there in 2000 (we actually <i><b>did</b></i> a lot!)...

but, with just one day? I'd say... bask, sip, stroll... let the agenda find you.

You don't say what ages your kids are - - if they are under 21, I suppose I'd toss this advice into the trashcan - - I really DO hope you get some input from others who have been there with kids.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 11:21 PM
tig
Original Poster

Thanks... but better a taste of a place I have always wanted to see than not at all! &quot;Kids&quot; are actually 18 and 20 and enjoy the sort of things we do (mostly!!)
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Doble_Vergasser

We have done what you are going to do (Two nights in Varenna give you one full day plus a few hours). Public transportation there is on the lake. In addition to the boat service that runs north and south, Varenna is where the car/ passenger ferries deposit people destined for the highway (or train station). Varenna is one of the most convenient towns on the lake.

The easy thing to do for one day is to focus on Bellagio, Menaggio and Tremezza (?sp?). I took some fantastic photos at Menaggio, bouht a tie in Bellagio, did not make it to Tremezza.

Going to other towns will require longer boat trips. The view from Brunate down on Como is supposed to spectacular. If you have a list of other towns you would like see then you can study the boat schedules.

Lake Como a great place. After being there one day two years ago, we go back to Varenna for five full days this June.

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 04:44 AM

I was there for only one/two days last summer and still managed to see alot. I also stayed in Varenna. In Varenna I visited the two villas (combined ticket, they are next to each other), walked around the whole town, and hiked up to the castle (don't believe the signs that say it's a 15 minute walk, it took me 45 and I walk faster than most people I know). But great views and the castle ruins were fun to climb around in. I also took the ferry over to Belagio and spent a couple of hours walking around and shopping. Both towns are pretty tiny. I took the slow ferry up the lake from Como one day, and back down the next. I also spent a couple of hours walking around Como and visiting the Duomo there.

Sorry rex, I had a great time, it was very worthwhile, I feel I &quot;got&quot; Lake Como, and I'm actually glad I didn't spend more time there. If you have several days you would visit more towns, more villas and take more boat rides. But that doesn't mean your experience would be &quot;better&quot;. You could certainly also go to lake como to relax but not everyone goes on vacation to relax.