Where to splurge???

Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Where to splurge???

I will be visiting Italy for 10 days in June. I am flying into Venice and out of Rome. My current itinerary is to spend 2 nights in Venice (probably at Hotel Fontana Fam. Stainer) then take the train to Cinque Terre for two nights. Next, on to Siena for 2 nights (1/2 day in Siena / 1 full day driving around Tuscany). Then Florence for 2 nights (probably at daniela pezzati) then to Rome for the final 2 nights (hotel Italia). I have a few questions Iym hoping some of you can help with. First, I plan to stay in 2 star hotels most nights, can anybody comment on the hotels listed above? Most are from Rick Steveys guide. However, I would like to stay in 3-4 star hotel in one city. My thought right now is Siena because I can get a little more for 200 Euros than in the other cities and places. Would you other recommend I splurge in another city? Another questionyI want to rent a car for Tuscany. Would I be better of: 1) taking the train from Cinque Terre to Siena, then renting 2) taking the train from Cique Terre to Pisa, then renting and driving to Sienayany other ideas for renting? One more option: I could switch Florence and Siena and take the train from CT to Florence for 2 days, then rent a car and drive to Rome via Tuscany / Siena for 2 days (I actually like this option better, but my full day in Florence would be a Monday, and Iym worried a lot of sights will be closed). Thanks in advance.
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:45 AM

I think you are trying to do too much with too little time. I planned a ten day trip to Italy recently and had some of the same thoughts as you to start, but cut it down to three cities - Rome, Florence, Venice

Rome could have taken the entire trip! We were there in the winter, so tour lines were not long. Don't go with the attitude that you'll never return.

I like Rick for eating, but Fodors for sleeping. Be careful with cheap sleeps!
We spurged in Venice for sleeping and in Florence for shopping.
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:53 AM
ira

Hi James,

I agree with Greeves.

Save the Cinque Terre for another trip. Otherwise you have a very nice itinerary.

Suggestion - instead of splurging on a hotel, splurge on a top notch restaurant.
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:12 AM

here's one idea--save your top hotel for the last part of your trip.
You will end it on a note of more luxury, and not have to downgrade afterward.
I am one of those who would agree that you are doing way too much tearing around, and giving short shrift to the places you are seeing. Rome for two nights is silly imo unless it absolutely can't be helped. And how about basing in FLorence for 4 nights and just daytripping to Siena and Tuscany. Staying in Tuscany would be wonderful if you had a leisurely 2 or 3 days at least, but basing in Florence would save you another instance of packing and unpacking and moving from hotel to hotel which is worth quite a bit imo.

Florence on a Monday:
Duomo is open, ditto Museum of the Duomo, Baptistery
Museums Bargello and San Marco (both of which I loved) are open some Mondays of some months--you'll have to check.
Try www.museionline.com

Biggest problem with Monday is that the Accademia ("David") and the Uffizi are closed. I don't care for the Uffizi, but imo it would be a shame to miss David, even though there is an outdoor copy in one of the piazzas.

I have files on Florence and Rome; if you'd like to see them, email me.
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:32 AM

I agree with the thoughts above. We spent two weeks in Italy last year in Venice, Florence, near San Gimignano and Rome. Even though we stayed 4 days everywhere but San G., it seemed like we were in constant motion. You will enjoy much more if you skip Cinque Terre for this trip and do day trips from Florence to see Siena and the Tuscany countryside.
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:53 AM

James,
I think Venice is the place to splurge on a nice hotel, see www.karenbrown.com under Italy B&b's by town.
Best of luck
Fluffy
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:32 AM

That is an incredibly BUSY 10 days!! Don't forget when you say: "2 days Florence, 2 days Rome" you lose big chunks of each day every time you change location (i.e., pack & check out of the hotel, walk/taxi/bus to train station, take train for however many hours, walk/taxi/bus to new hotel, check in).

I realize everyone has their own travel style & energy, but personally I'd do 5 days Venice, 5 days Rome and call it a great trip!!