Italy Itinerary Questions

Oct 17th, 2003, 06:52 PM
kct
Original Poster

Italy Itinerary Questions

Message: My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in April 2004. We are interested in the following cities/areas but need help planning the order in which to visit them. We plan to fly in to one city, take trains between our cities of interest and then fly home out of our last city. Let me know what you think of this itinerary (# of days in each and whether we are visiting them in the right order) Thanks!

Fly into Rome
Rome -3 days,
Florence -2 days w/ a day trip to Sienna, Cinqua Terra - 3 days,
Venice - 3 days.
Fly hom from Rome

Oct 17th, 2003, 07:13 PM

My husband and I went to Italy back in March. We spend 3 days in Rome, 4 days in Florence (with one day in Sienna), and 3 days in Venice. It was perfect for us. Even you have one less day in Florence, I still think it may be enough; unless you're the type who likes to take your time strolling through the streets and museums (like me). The order is perfect in my opinion. Venice is a great way to end a great vacation!

Have fun!
Oct 17th, 2003, 09:16 PM

I think that you are trying to do too much in what appears to be 11 days. Remember that you will be using pretty healthy chunks of time traveling which will include time to and from stations or airports as well as travel time. Then you will need to check in and settle into hotels in each place. Also, the first day in Rome will be spacy. So---my suggestion is to save Cinque Terra for another trip--there will be one. Then figure in travel time between Rome, Florence and Venice. Also, you need another day in Florence. My best suggestion is to spend 3-4 days in Rome and then the remainder in Florence and some place like Montepulciano where you can explore a few Tuscan hill towns. You would minimize loss due to travel and be able to sense the soul of Italy. If you go to www.janeandken.com you will get some more ideas. My e-mail address is there if you have questions. Hope this helps some.
Oct 18th, 2003, 05:59 AM

Do you mean 2 days in Florence (including a trip to Siena) and then 3 days in Cinque Terre? If so, it's almost not worth going to Florence!
I would suggest one of the following:
Eliminate either Cinque Terre or Venice and add the time to Florence (including a day or two for day trips).
The only reason for possibly eliminating Venice (eliminating Venice is near heresy to me!) is because it's the farthest from your other destinations.
Oct 18th, 2003, 06:16 AM
ira

Hi kct,

I suggest:

leaving the CT for another trip

flying into Rome or Venice and out the other, if you can,

adding 2 days to Florence and one to Rome.

Keep in mind that Rome/Florence/Venice is the most usual trip for first timers for good reason.
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:24 AM

Florence is worth more than 2 days if you are really really really into the Renaissance, or if you want to use the extra days for daytripping in the vicinity. Otherwise, 2 days are fine.
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:31 PM

Well if I was you I would see if moving the departure place from Rome to a city closer to Venice was an option (Milan, Zurich?)
Oct 20th, 2003, 09:35 AM

Hi kct,

We loved the CT - but as the others have said, save it for your next trip. I'm still dreaming of when we can go to Italy for our 3rd time.

Best advice ... fly into Rome and fly out of Venice (you will either connect in Milan or Zurich) - don't do a round robin for a 11 day trip.

The eurostars are a great way to sit back, write in your journal and enjoy the scenery.

Happy planning

Tam
Oct 20th, 2003, 09:48 AM

I think your trip is doable, and 2 days in FLorence is fine (unless you are particularly interested in art museums and history). I'm assuming you meant to say you will fly out of Venice (your post says 'fly home from Rome'). I haven't been to CT, so can't speak for it, but if you haven't been to Rome, 3 days is barely scratching the surface but enough to see the very basic highlights.
Oct 20th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Degas

I agree with ira.

Nov 4th, 2003, 07:35 PM

How about if I only have six nights?? Rome, FLorence, and Venice? Or just pick two and do three days each? Considering Rome and Venice.
Thanks,
Laura
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:33 AM
ira

Hi Laura,

With only 6 days, I would pick two towns, one of which would be Venice.

If you fly into Rome, Pisa or Florence and out of Venice (or vice versa) you will save a half day on the train compared to a round trip out of one city.
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:29 AM

Looks a bit too much for 11 days.
First of all, do not forget that train travel takes time. For your planning: Rome-Florence is half a day, Florence-Venice is half a day, Venice-Rome is a day.

Second point: I would skip Cinque Terre. It demands another kind of equipement or clothing. Cities are 'suitcase' places, Cinque Terre is a 'backpack' place.

Now, what do you want to have from your trip, a vague impression, or a comprehensive sight?
Rome is a 5 day city for a comprehensive sight.
Florence is worth seeing (evidently), but the surrounding area makes the Tuscany region a must (Siena, San Gimigniano, Lucca, and other smaller villages).

Day 1, arrival
Day 2-6, stay in Rome
Day 7, journey to Florence or Siena
Day 8-10, stay in Tuscany
Day 11, departure.

Wouldn't that be it?

I know it heurts to cut of Venice!
Or swap Tuscany for Venice? Three full days is a bit much. Maybe with a traintrip to Verona or Vicenza? Why not?
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:42 AM
ira

I respectfully disagree with Baldrick. My wife and I have been to Venice for a total of 18 days and still have things to see.
Nov 5th, 2003, 08:29 AM

Ira,
I fully understand what you mean.
It is part of the 'tourist despair' we all have on the board trying to classify cities with their centuries of history in a 5-day, a 4-day, or a 3-day town.
'We' all have very little time and our expectations are very high, so there is no time to loose... and so no time to wander around...
I go to Venice or Rome approx every 2 years and still find other things to see (but I only live at 600 km!)