Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First trip to Italy - please critique my itenerary. Rome - Tuscany - Florence. Should we add Cinque Terre? Delete Florence?

First trip to Italy - please critique my itenerary. Rome - Tuscany - Florence. Should we add Cinque Terre? Delete Florence?

Nov 23rd, 2004, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I are going to be taking our first trip to Italy in September 2005. We plan to stay for 12 nights and know we think we want to see Rome, Tuscany and (although I've recently read some bad things about it on the board) Florence. Right now I have it divided up evenly:

4 nights Rome (including arrival night)
4 nights Tuscany (still need to narrow down where in Tuscany we want to stay - have heard Siena is a good base but suggestions are welcome)
4 nights Florence

We like to keep busy on vacation, see a lot, want to see a few museams but are just as interested in scenery, good food, people watching, etc.

So...any suggestions on our itnerary? Should we do fewer nights in Florence? Should we add two nights in Cinque Terre instead?
Nov 23rd, 2004, 09:25 PM

audreyleig, I personally would add at least another day to Rome and one less day to Florence. Arrival day is "somewhat lost" if you are arriving from US.

You are flying into Rome no doubt. Which airport are you flying home from?
Nov 23rd, 2004, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly - we don't have our flights booked yet, but are planning to fly into Rome and out of Florence. It seems like it will be cheapest to fly from the states to London and then take Ryan Air or another discount airline to/from Italy. Initially I allocated the last four days of our trip to Florence because I thought it would convenient to end our trip in a city (no rushing in from Tuscany first thing the morning of a flight) but Florence would be more relaxing than Rome. With some of the negative comments I have been reading on the board it seems like Florence is crowded and hectic, overflowing with tourists. What do you think?
P.S. I live in L.A. so my definition of crowded may be different than the posters complaining about Florence, I don't know.
Nov 23rd, 2004, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

This board is really wacky lately! My post just disappeared altogether for a few minutes and now it is saying I have zero replies, which isn't true.
Nov 23rd, 2004, 10:18 PM

audreyleigh, I just wrote a long post to you and when I went to post it "poof" went into cyberspace. Oh sigh. So, I will wait until tomorrow and hopefully Fodors will be working better. Hope this post "post". What a pain!
Nov 24th, 2004, 10:56 AM

Check your flight options first--very few flights out of Florence. With 12 days I would do Rome, Tuscany, and Venice and fly home from there.
Nov 24th, 2004, 11:04 AM

I would do two nights in Florence, two in Cinque Terre, and fly out of Genoa. We did this,and found Cinque Terre the highlight of our trip.
Nov 24th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly - I am so sorry your reply disappeared, please repost when you get time, I would love to hear your advice!

Bobthenavigator and Zootsi, thanks for the heads up on the flights. I had looked into flying to London and then taking Easyjet to Rome, but hadn't realized that none of the discount airlines fly to Florence. So I'll have to hope that open jaw ATL-ROM-FLR-ATL (I live in LA but am moving to ATL soon) flights go down in price or find another option.

About doing Venice instead of Florence...we originally considered doing Venice but watched a Rudy Maxa (sp?) program on it and thought it didn't look as appealing as other options. Should we reconsider? It seemed either very touristy in the central plaza area, or very deserted in the more local areas (the program said most young people leave Venice after school and the population is declining rapidly). But maybe it was because we had just watched another program on Rome and it looked so wonderful, so full of life and with so much vibrant local culture. And what do others think about the Florence - Cinque Terre - fly out of Genoa option?
Nov 25th, 2004, 04:46 PM

Again, your flight options will dictate. I would start there to see what connections and pricing you can tolerate. Genoa has few flights and they are all Euro carriers.
Do not let anyone discourage you on Venice, but give it at least 3 nites. It is the day trippers that bad mouth Venice--I find it magical.