Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to spend a week in the Austrian countryside?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're spend ing a few days each in Munich and Vienna this September, that part is set.

We have about a week between that we're trying to figure out. Ideally, we'd like a very simple place in the countryside with mountain views, and walking trails. Close enough to a town with restaurant choices. We're considering the Carinthia area, but aren't set on that.. Loved the Hallstadt area, but would probably prefer to try somewhere else. We'll be renting a car for this portion of the trip. Any thoughts of places I should check out?

~Liz
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM

I think the Carinthia area is really something different....gorgeous, peaceful and really beautiful for nature walks. We have only been to Villach and Sankt Veit an der Glan but would like to explore the area more next time.

Another suggestion I can make is the Wachau Valley. There are enough villages and towns quite close to each other with excellent restaurant and accommodation choices. I'm not sure that you'll get your mountain views though, but the picturesque vineyards along the Danube River might make it up for you.
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could also consider Achensee, or possibly Zell-am-See - that's a bigger place, but is a base for the Krimml waterall and the Grossglockner High Alpine road. I f you have transport you could stay somewhere nearby.
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:03 AM

I also think the St. Veit area is nice. The center of town itself is almost car free with charming shops and hotels.

The countryside is lovely.
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all!

You've helped convince me my plan is good. Now, I need to find a place to stay. I've found a couple of possibilities on the Millstatter See, any thoughts on that area for scenic and ease of travel to other parts of Carinthia?

~Liz
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:35 AM

You could try a day in Baden, which is a nice, walkable little spa town about an hour from Vienna by train. In 2006 we spent an afternoon in Baden, followed by watching a delightful performance of the operetta die Zirkusprincessen at the Stadtheatre in Baden's Kurpark.
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM

No question in my mind---the Salzkammergut area--preferably St. Gilgen on the Wolfgangsee. Perfect location for day trips in 3 directions, including Salzburg and Hallstatt.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM

Yes, Salzkammergut. I'd go with St. Wolfgang on the Wolfgangsee or Bad Ischl if you like window shopping.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; A lot depends on where you intend to rent the car. So, if you are renting in Germany this would work. You could consider a country B&b in upper-Austria. It's in a very small town called Polling. An hour away is Passau or Linz. Two and a half hour trip is Cesky Krumlov and Cesky Budejovice. Hot spring baths nearby. Burghausen castle/town, on the Austrian/German bordor, is about one hour. Walking trails. This is our first stop for two nights in early September. Then we go to Germany. The town is a farming community, with one restaurant. Lovely people running the restaurant. A 94 year old woman and her daughter. We had a very nice meal. www.geinberg-suites.com/ I think perhaps two hours to the Munich airport. Last night you could consider staying in Lanshut, Germany, a very old town. Not too far from the aiport. Dick
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:08 PM

Achensee is a beautiful area not usually visited by Americans. We spent 4 days there in September 2007 and it would make a great place to hike.

We stayed in Maurach but Pertisau has more amenities IMO. We would have stayed at the Alpenrose but they were booked. It looked amazing:

http://www.tiscover.at/at/guide/5841...87at/home.html

http://tinyurl.com/pwmha2

We took the cable car up to the top of Rofan Mtn. The views from up there are amazing. There are lots of hiking trails and a restaurant. It's also a jumping off point for hang gliders and paragliders.

There's also the Achenseebahn Rack Railway. For over 120 years the oldest rack railway of the world has been running between Jenbach and Achensee lake.

I would highly recommend this area of Austria to anyone looking for great scenery, hiking, outdoor activities and few if any American tourists.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 08:15 AM

We had a lovely stay at Seeboden on the Millstatter See. There are many other villages in that area, and it's good just for loafing or hiking. Also in the Salzkammergut, I enjoy Plomberg on the Mondsee, and Traunkirchen on the Traunsee.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 08:27 AM

The Achensee is a "suburb of Munich", so on week-ends you'll find those city folks everywhere. But it's not that bad at all.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 08:44 AM

We were there for 4 nights in mid September (Thurs-Mon) and it did get a little crowded over the weekend but we never felt like there was a "crush" of people. We waited in line about 10 minutes to go up on the Rofan Mtn. cable car but once on top everybody went in different directions so it never seemed crowded.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all.

As I said in my second post on this thread, we decided Carinthia was the best choice this time. We've found a place in Pörtschach am Wörthersee that suits our needs, and we'll explore a good chunck of Carinthia in the week we stay there.

~Liz