COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

2 nights in Thusis?

Old Jun 5th, 2018, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

2 nights in Thusis?

As part of a 4 week trip to Switzerland in June next year, I was considering one of neckervd's suggestions in another post of taking the Splügen Pass route after our week in Scuol, and before our stay in Sils Maria, instead of going the direct route. I could add a few days and make this a bit more of a 'journey' of itself.

I remember the outstanding landscape between Thusis and Samedan from last years' trip. Looking into Thusis as a stop, we could explore viamala gorge and walk to Zillis to visit the church. Other worthwhile potential visits are Chur or Bergun or local stuff (castle ruins)? Then take the postbus onwards to Chiavenna and have 2 nights there (this definitely looked like a town I'd enjoy, we passed through when we stayed near Gera Lario before). Then we would postbus to Sils Maria via the Maloja Pass, which we've travelled several times, love those little hamlets and that hairpin road.

These are only short travel routes, which suits us fine, does this plan make sense? Is Thusis a nice town in itself? Is Chur a nice town? (photos online show a nice old town, vineyards, monastery, mountains), we only passed through previously ..considering it in case am looking to balance out my 'charming village' visits with more bustling towns.

Last edited by Adelaidean; Jun 5th, 2018 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Wondering if I tagged Switzerland
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 09:19 AM

Thusis is not particularly charming as far as I remember, but makes a good base for exploring the region. Most houses were destroyed by a devastating fire in 1845 and were rebuilt in rather simple style. If you want a change from the "charming villages" then you better stay in Chur. I love this town, although it may look a bit grey at first sight, especially on a rainy day. But it has a perfectly preserved old town with quite some sights (cathedral, churches St. Stefan and St. Luzi - the latter with an amazing circular crypt, the former with Giacometti stained-glass windows, museums), good restaurants, is *the* hub in canton Grisons for excursions. You may take the Brambrüesch cable car up and walk a bit, explore the Rhine gorge Ruinaulta e.g.

The itinerary definitely makes sense to me. Chiavenna will be a very different experience, LOL. Very italianate charm ;-)
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Very useful insight, thanks Ingo. Chur sounds well worth a visit, or even a good option as a base.
BTW, I've been reading Mel's reports on Scuol, and seen your comments there...looks like a week won't be enough, LOL.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 09:07 PM

Haha, no, a week isn't enough ... depending on what someone's interested in, of course! City people would easily get bored after two days ...