Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Top Suffolk/Essex villages & countryside picks? (Constable Country?)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't thank you all enough for assistance w/my original brainstorming thread.
(details shared in "36 hrs near London thread")...

However, could still use help with *so* many amazing options to choose between,
even though I've almost 'committed' myself to the towns & sights not too, too far
from Stansted. (at least the final evening shouldn't be too far)

It's become clear to me, for ease, that staying in Lavenham might make sense for the night before we need to get to Stansted by 11am. (assuming still need to be there 2 hrs ahead of flights...even if only w/in Europe on RyanAir?)

Plus, we'll probably have a rental car unless it's too prohibitive to pick-up & drop-off at different airports.

Anyway, if you only had 2 nights...
would you settle in Lavenham for both of them (despite its seeming tiny size) --
or coming from Heathrow,
would so appreciate a suggestion for where you'd head first for the first night's stay.

Will be jet-lagged, to be sure. But, am very willing to head fairly far to allow for a closer stay on our 2nd night. (again, due to flying out of a different airport)

And yet, some *other* adventure, as well for our first evening. (arrive at 2pm into LHR,
if all goes well)

And since there were so many incredible options presented in the other thread
from Cambridge to coastal villages to Woburn Abbey, to Sutton Woo etc...
where would *you* pick if designing an 'ideal' 2 nights/1 day adventure
within *this* particular region? (now that I've at least 'narrowed' it) ;-)

Btw, I'd love to do the Peak District mentioned in the other thread,
or Salisbury/Canterbury/Avebury area,
or re-visit & explore further the Cotswolds. (so am having a hard time settling
upon Suffolk, as it does sound pretty flat? Just am hoping it's not too 'treeless' --
as one thing so beautiful about the area we explored last time was all the green...
and forests w/bluebells, etc. ) But of course, that was Spring, too.

But on the other hand, it sounds convenient to where we leave from...
and, still sounds quite lovely w/its old villages, history, etc.

Lastly, have seen in books Norfolk Broads mentioned. Is that worth a drive, if we love nature & birds, as well? (altho' novice bird-watchers...not anything serious...just enjoy
pretty rivers, etc, if they seem to be there, especially)

Perhaps the more 'picturesque' nature is actually more inland near where some of Constable's images were captured? (not sure)

Has anyone visited the Broads, & recommend it for a stay?
(or just a few hrs w/a canoe?)

Sigh...just having a hard time deciding on Night #1.
And probably arriving too late w/traffic to go to any actual public houses or gardens being open. But just exploring the countryside would work.

And at one point, was tempted by Evensong at Cambridge
but then read it might not take place in late August if studies are not in session?
Thanks again soooo much!!
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Please make that: Sutton Hoo. (sorry!)

Oooo...and has anyone stayed at both the Priory and Swan in Lavenham who could offer their thoughts on which they prefer? (or other lodging there?)

Seems like the Swan may be a bit fancier & more contemporary' with its rooms. (whereas I truly adore an older style)
But, have come across some neg reviews on TripAdvisor re: the warmth of the owners of the Priory. Plus, it's so small they may very well be full. So, am open to any & all lodging recommendations in Lavenham, or ANYwhere in the region. Thanks again.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 10:41 PM

Hi
You raise so many questions in your post (and I loved you calling it Sutton Woo!!). As someone who is Suffolk born and bred I'd like to try and help.
Firstly forget the myth that Suffolk is flat - it isn't. And the area around Lavenham is particularly rolling.
The countryside is pretty but it isn't spectacular like some parts of England (I currently live in the Yorkshire Dales and that really is spectacular!).
There are plenty of trees but most of the fields are given over to arable farming. You won't see that many cows and sheep but you'll probably see pigs.
However, Suffolk's real beauty does lie in its villages and towns. Lavenham is particularly attractive - numerous beautiful and very old houses and cottages leaning at crazy angles. Many are painted a distinctive 'Suffolk Pink' as it's known, and many have thatched roofs.
Most Suffolk towns and villages have an amazing ancient church. Lavenham has a particularly beautiful example, a huge and very lovely building and a perfect example of a 'wool church' (built on the proceeds of the very lucrative medieval wool trade).
http://english-church-architecture.n...m/lavenham.htm
I suppose it's all relative but I wouldn't call Lavenham 'tiny'. It's a small bustling town with several shops, teashops, restaurants, pubs etc.
I am clearly biased but I think it would be a perfect place to stay.
Lavenham is close to Long Melford, another very picturesque village (and another amazing church). Long Melford is famous for its antique shops and is a good place to spend a couple of hours browsing.
http://www.longmelford.co.uk/
Kentwell Hall and Melford Hall are close by but check opening times.
http://www.kentwell.co.uk/
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/melford-hall/
Several other very pretty villages close by -
Kersey - has a stream running across the middle of the main street - Cavendish and Clare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kersey,_Suffolk
From Lavenham you could easily reach Constable Country although I think the area in and around Lavenham would be ample to explore in the short time you are around.
I've not stayed at the places you mention in Lavenham but I've heard great things about the Priory.
Hope this helps.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 11:11 PM

I've stayed at the Swan, but not the Priory. The Swan is much larger, with about 45 rooms, and has a lounge, bar, restaurant, etc, which are used by many non-residents as well as hotel guests. If you want a modernised room in a hotel with all the facilities, that may be the best choice. If you are looking for an intimate experience in a smaller hotel, the Priory may be better.

East Suffolk is far from treeless, and even has small hills. There are many lovely villages in the area, including Long Melford, Kersey, East Bergholt, etc. With a car you can easily drive around and see them.
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 12:20 AM

I didn't see Morgana's much more detailed reply before posting my own. I'm not Suffolk born and bred, but have been living in the county for over 40 years. The area around Stour Valley is actually very compact, and the villages we mentioned only a few miles apart. Lavenham to East Bergholt is 13 miles "as the crow flies", probably more like 20 miles by road.
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 02:43 AM

Heimdall, good that we are suggesting the same places! Kersey is absolutely beautiful and the view of the village and surrounding countryside from the church (at the top of a steep hill!!) is one of the best in Suffolk.
Daydreamer, if you can't find suitable accommodation in Lavenham you could do a lot worse than look at the Crown Hotel in Bildeston.
http://www.thebildestoncrown.com/
Bildeston is a small Suffolk village and a perfect location to visit Lavenham/Long Melford or head in the other direction to Constable Country. I've not stayed there, but can vouch for the excellent food they serve, and the building itself is very attractive.
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 09:56 AM

Another to consider is the Bull Hotel in Long Melford. Haven't been there for years, though, so you will have to look at current reviews.
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 10:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
you should check with Ryanair but the normal minimum check-in for european flights is more like an hour rather than two. that said if you're like me I like to be there, checked in and through security before I can really relax.

you can always enjoy some lovely airport food while you're waiting!
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you for all the links & recommendations, Morgana & Heimdall!

Will enjoy learning more about the options you presented...
plus the actual adventure that results in the end!

Will concern myself no more w/it being 'too flat' or treeless. I grew up in an area many consider flat...
esp. those who have never visited.
And in reality, there were plenty of rolling hills, as well.
(so I do 'get' that!) So, thank you for illuminating
that the same holds true, for this region.

I agree for just one day and two evenings...
there probably is more than enough, to not stray much towards the Coast, etc. Got impression from maps that perhaps Constable Country was super close, though.

But regardless, the towns you mention like Kersey sound so
very nice, that I won't worry about needing more places.
And it appears that you both would simply stay put in one lodging place for both nights, since the distances are pretty
reasonable?

So, will drop the idea of the Broads.
Also, have heard a Fen conservation area mentioned in guidebooks. (but again, probably not enough time either)

And, being tired from the long overseas leg of our journey -- probably won't make us the most efficient, either. ;-)

Appreciate the add'l lodging rec's. Both will be fun to look into. (esp. since reviews rather mixed on the Priory)

However, with you mentioning the Swan being more modernized, Heimdall: I do have to say, I still love the slightly more 'quirky.' (and less updated, it seems)

Just have to get over the concerns over a truly frosty reception at the Priory -- and the early mornings
one has to follow if staying there. (brkst only 'til 9am...
and they are most strict about getting out by 10:30am...
which many also find less than hospitable, as check-in is not until 4pm. And again, anyone arriving even minutes earlier, has been made to feel like major intruders, according to TripAdvisor reviews. Short-sighted of the hosts, it seems.
(as they were once the 'starred' reviews in guidebooks,
but am noticing that dropping off)

Just to know for the future: Morgana...
how far away are the Yorkshire Dales from London?
I think we'll include them some day, if visiting Scotland. (driving there) They would require at least 2-3 days on their own, wouldn't you say? Have a terrific weekend, everyone!!

(And annhig, thanks for the info on RyanAir type flights, too.)
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 09:25 AM

Daydreamer, I wouldn't worry too much about the mixed reviews at the Priory, especially if you enjoy something "slightly more quirky". Some people can't do without all the mod cons, and don't appreciate a historic property. I have friends who live in a beautiful old hall, once owned by Oliver Cromwell. Until recently it didn't have central heating. Fireplaces and duvets make even cold winters bearable.

Yes, I think it would be best to stay in one place, and then you wouldn't waste time checking in and out of two hotels.

To appreciate the broads, IMO, you really have to be in a boat. We do have a fens conservation area near where I live, at Wicken in East Cambs. I'm not sure if that's the one you mean, but it would be a long drive, and then you would have to leave your car and walk.

The hills around my home in West Suffolk seem very large when I am riding my bicycle.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 10:25 AM

Whoops, don't know what I was thinking! I should have written: "I have friends who live in a beautiful old hall, once owned by <i>Cardinal Wolsey</i>."
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 11:04 AM

There's always upheaval when you move so I'd definitely say stay put and get settled in the same place for two nights.
I too wouldn't worry overly about the Priory reviews. I had a very quick look at them on TA and the 'excellents' and 'very goods' far outweighed the bad ones, plus some of the poorest reviews were pretty old. Trust your instincts.
To answer your question, there are various ways to get to the Dales from London.
One of the easiest would be to take the train from Kings Cross to York (less than two hours, MUCH longer by road). Then have a day or two in York itself, a stunningly beautiful city that doesn't need a car as it's very compact. Then hire a car and go and explore! As well as the Dales you could also visit the other National Park in North Yorkshire (the North Yorkshire Moors).
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 02:32 AM
mtm

Thanks for setting my mind at ease re: whether we'd be missing too much by staying at simply one place.

And I'm now okay too w/dropping Cambridge...
even tho' it does sound intriguing, as well.
(ie. punting in the evening sounds picturesque)

Just think we'll be too short on time to do it plus
the towns near Lavenham/Bury St E/Deadham...and since it's easier to reach by train, will save it for some time we're in London w/out a car.

Plus, had my heart set on Evensong there as experienced that
once at Windsor and found it quite soothing. But my impression is that if studies are not in session --
no evening music is offered.

Appreciate the comments re: the Priory, too. Might as well
go for it, & will just hope for the best. (and if it's booked up, will shift to another inn you mentioned or the Swan)

Sounds like York & the Dales are indeed worth more time...
so am glad we didn't attempt that, this time around.
But hope to, one day.

Have a great week, everyone! And many thanks for your ever patient & kind advice.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 12:24 PM

Some Constable county pics and info for you:-

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...summertime.cfm
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 06:39 AM
mtm

Thank you. Appreciate it!