Search

Where to spend 5-7 days in Croatia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to spend 5-7 days in Croatia

Hi there,

So I'm already laying the groundwork for a trip to Croatia next summer (June most likely). For me, the planning process is part of the enjoyment of the trip. Looking for some suggestions...

My husband and I will hopefully fly into Zagreb and out of Dubrovnik (or Split if the flight is significantly cheaper). I would like to spend 5-7 days based in one place and then 2-3 nights in the other spots (Split, Dubrovnik).

Where would you suggest is a good spot for that 1 week home base? I was debating between Rovinj or an island. We enjoy walking around cities, hiking, good food, but also do like some time relaxing by the water.

Either way, we plan to spend time in Rovinj AND an island, but I'm wondering which one should we give more time to.

Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 06:56 AM

A week in Rovinj would be a luxurious amount of time for exploring Istria. I don't know the drive time to Dubrovnik (check viamichelin website), but that would determine how I split the time. You really have hundreds of options, and if you stick to traversing from north to south you will have to choose carefully. So, what is appealing to you so far?
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

I would ideally like to fly into Zagreb, potentially spend the night there depending on what time our flight gets in. Then head to Rovinj. All the small villages in Istria are appealing to me. Debating skipping Plitvice..would this be awful? We love hiking but it is a bit out of the way. So from Istria head down to Split. Do a day trip to Krka NP. Then to the the islands. Possibly Hvar to Korcula and then on to Dubrovnik with a day trip to Kotor. Then fly home from Dubrovnik.

Just unsure how to split up the time. Will likely have 14 full days not including flights.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 07:54 AM

Oh--I was counting 10. Two weeks is plenty of time.
I have only been to Plitvice, and there are similarities and differences with Krka. I would at least map the drive to compare.
Zagreb 1
Rovinj I think at least 5 would be pretty great
Split 2 (possibly drop car in Split so you can take catamarans)
Hvar 3
Korcula 3
Dubrovnik 3
That would be ideal, but I realize that is more time than you have. You could reduce Dubrovnik, and possibly choose one of the two islands.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

That would be very ideal. I have all summer off (teacher perk) but unfortunately my husband can only take so many days at once. Hmm maybe cut Rovinj to 4, Korcula to 1... maybe even cut Zagreb depending on when the flight gets in.

I would like to keep 3 days in Dubrovnik so we can do a day trip to Kotor.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 11:05 AM

I would lean toward giving yourself plenty of time for Istria and choose ample time on one island (though passing through Korcula for one night is not too onerous in between longer stays). Enjoy!
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Would you recommend staying in Rovinj while in Istria or a smaller village?
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 04:41 PM
kja

If there is <b>any</b> chance that you will have jet lag, I would strongly encourage you to stay put for your first night or two. Although many people are not aware of it, there is mounting evidence that driving with jet lag is just as dangerous -- to yourself and others -- as driving drunk, and <b>nothing</b> you can do (not caffeine, not sleeping on the plane, NOTHING!) will prevent the microsleeps (which you might not even notice) that are the apparent culprit. There's certainly more than enough to do in Zagreb to keep you busy for a night or two.

I must admit that spending a week in Istria would not be to my liking – there simply isn’t enough to do there for my interests, BUT I’m sure there are other people who will envy you the opportunity! Rovinj is generally considered the best base, at least in part because it has a substantial tourism infrastructure (nice places to stay, good restaurants). If you were only staying a night or two, a smaller village might make sense, but IMO, not for a stay of more than a night or two.

IMO, the Plitivice Lakes are the single most un-missable of Croatia's many splendors. Not only are the lakes connected by travertine waterfall formations, each lake has unique microbiota, and as a result, the lakes are different colors. But it’s your trip, your call. If you do go, I strongly recommend planning on at least 6 or 7 hours in the park, and that usually means an overnight in the ara.

The Krka National Park has some similarities, but there are a lot of differences, too. The Plitvice Lakes are, indeed, lakes of differing colors connected by gorgeous waterfalls. In contrast, Krka's most famous falls are along a river and the main set of falls are broader and contain more cascades (of varying heights and widths) than those of the Plitvice Lakes. You might do a google image search to see the differing images. One other difference that is worth noting is that swimming is permitted in part of the pool at the base of the major waterfall at Krka NP; to the best of my knowledge, no swimming is permitted anywhere within the Plitvice Lakes NP.

Split is my favorite city in Croata and is, IMO, an excellent base for many places of interest.

I agree with yorkshire that dropping the car in Split makes sense – but what you want to do on the islands makes a difference. For example, Hvar Town is way too upscale and party-hearty for my tastes, but finding a place out of Hvar Town that would be easy to stay and would allow you ready access to what you want to see / do without a car could be a bit of a challenge.

Depending on when you would reach Dubrovnik, you might or might not need 3 full days. Kotor will take a day, but Dubrovnik itself can be seen in about 1.5 days -- and that includes a half day in Lokrum and a chunk of time at the Buza Bar.

Hope that helps!