Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

10 days in Croatia -- advice on itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 04:06 PM
kqc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re-posted from earlier:

My wife and I are heading to Croatia in May (a bit spur of the moment). We have 10 days to spend and would welcome advice on day-trips, and hotels. We know from reading posts on this board that there's lots of private rooms for rent, but we are more interested in staying in a hotel. Here's what we have so far:
Day 1: Arrive in Dubrovnik
Day 2: Dubrovnik
Day 3: Dubrovnik or day-trip
Day 4: Fly to Zagreb
Day 5: Zagreb
Day 6: Fly to Split, ferry to Hvar
Day 7: Hvar
Day 8: Hvar
Day 9: Day-trip
Day 10: Ferry to Split
Day 11: Fly home

We have some leads for Dubrovnik and Hvar hotels, but would appreciate advice on Zagreb and Split. Our price range is flexible (we know that we'll pay more in Zagreb, but we don't want to pay $200+). We are most interested in can't-miss daytrips from Dubrovnik or Hvar. Many thanks in advance for your insights.

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:13 AM

You'll find hotels in Zagreb at either end of the price scale, but not much in between. The hotel Dubrovnik has a great location and is moderately priced, but it's a rather bland business hotel. We stayed at the Esplanade which was fabulous but a bit on the high side.

We flew into Zagreb from the US and spent one day and one night there and had a great time, but I would not go out of my way to go there; just my 2 cents. I would stay in Hvar and Dubrovnik another night or maybe go to Korcula.

In Hvar we stayed at the Hotel Adriatic and it was "just ok". The view and location were outstanding. Revelers in the streets below party into the night and made it rather loud, however.

We prefered Trogir to Split for what it's worth. Smaller town; more charming, although Diocletian's Palace in Split is worth seeing. Coming in from the ferry landing, you can ditch your bags ar the bus station (across the street), walk over to the Palace and look around, go back and get your bags and proceed to Trogir for your overnighter. Trogir is also closer to the airport.
http://www.trogir-online.com/eng/hotel.asp

Whatever you do, you're going to have a great time. Croatia is wonderful.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:47 AM

seems like a lot of hopping back and forth - is it possible to start in Dubrovnik and work your way to Zagreb? Dubrovnik - Hvar/Split - Zagreb then home?
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:04 PM

Makes no sense going from Dubrovnik to Zagreb, only to go back to Split in 2 days time.
If you haven't booked your flights yet, it would make more sense to fly into Zagreb and take a flight from there to Split.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:43 AM
kqc
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far. My understanding is that the Hotel Adriatic in Hvar is under repair right now, so it won't be an option. We will definitely look into Trogir.
And yes, I recognize that it's a lot of hopping around, but we'd like to see as many places as we can while we're there. Also, the flight from Dubrovnik to Zagreb is only an hour (as is the flight from Zagreb to Split), while the bus from Dubrovnik to Split is at least 3+ hours, right? We're not totally wedded to the idea of going to Zagreb, but it actually seemed more efficient to me to use the cheap flights to see more of the country quickly than sitting on a bus or a ferry for several hours. If I'm missing something basic, let me know.
Any thoughts on can't-miss daytrips? That's what we're most interested in. Thanks again.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:11 AM

I've not been to Zagreb however an acquaintence who did was constantly asked by Zagrebians(?), "why do you come to Zagreb? why?" Meaning that the coast is so beautfiul why come inland. But I think he went in July. I personally would like to see the hinterland. What about the Istrian penninsula - Rovinji, Pula. I believe there is a small airport up there - may function during the summer.

http://www.hotelcroatia.net/

http://www.geocities.com/mayaway78/index.htm

http://www.hvar.hr/svnikola/eng/index.htm
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:13 AM

the links above are to accomodations in Hvar.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:34 AM

Zagreb is definitely worth seeing and will provide a great contrast to the coastal part of your trip in terms of architecture, ambiance, food, shopping etc..
I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to see it, as it is really lovely in May.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:46 AM

For your stay in Zagreb, I"d recommend Hotel Westin, very close to the city centre:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...ropertyID=1464