where to go with teen

Search

where to go with teen

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to go with teen

We're considering where in Europe to go and would like to know suggestions, comments on these choices. England/Scotland, Spain, Italy. We don't want to spend the whole time (probably 2-3 weeks) traveling, but would prefer to stay in one or two places for some time.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:39 PM

I'd recommend a week in London (SO much for teens and everyone else to do!) and then a week in a country where they speak whatever language the teen is studying in high school (probably Spain or France?).
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 10:04 AM
jay

london, paris, rome in that order
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 10:12 AM
brotherleelove2003

The Greek Islands have so many wonderful things to offer travellers of all ages. Santorini is a beautiful islands with lots of young people plus very interesting archaeological sites and some of the most spectacular views of the sea in the world.

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Degas

jay had a good line up. Mine liked London the best.

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 10:41 AM

For a detailed report on London with three teenagers in July 2003, please check my postings on the thread "London with teens" Hope that's helpful! I also took a teen on a Globus bus tour to Scotland, which I would not recommend, though the tour was great.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think we will go for London/Scotland. Lilybart, what about the trip to Scotland would you not recommend, the tour, Scotland, or the teen? Again, thanks for helping us narrow it down. Now the fun part of planning begins.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 05:32 AM

Before you finalize things...have you asked your teen where he/she would like to go? My daughter studied ancient Rome and the Renaissance in a high school world cultures course and was dying to go to Italy. My son most wanted to see Pisa and Venice. So we planned our trip around their interests, and it was our best vacation ever.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 09:37 AM

I would strongly urge you to consider going to London and a non-English speaking country, especially with the generous amount of time you have. Good idea to possibly support whatever language they are studying in school. Several years ago I took 2 of my children to Ireland (visiting sibling studying abroad) and London (agree that London is great for teens). They were great trips but one child complained that everyone spoke English! He has since spent a month studying in Spain. I am taking my daughter to Italy for her March vacation for the same reason. My mother always refers to the profound experience one has the first time stepping off the plane in a place where they speak another language and it's true!
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 07:36 PM

What's the big deal with "teens"? I went to Europe the first time when I was 15, my sons are currently teenagers. We all love travel and different experiences. If you take the view that teens truly are young adults, for the most part they will be interested in much the same things as any other tourist. I don't think they need to be given different consideration. Besides, they definitely like to have an input, why not put the onus on the teens? Ask THEM to pland and decide with you. They'll be happier and so will you.