Where to go Thanksgiving Week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ItalyLover's thread about visitng Florence the week of Thanksgiving has made me want to take a Thanksgiving week trip. Our state legislature has tampered with the school calendar such that I think this will be the last year where the kids get a full week off for Thanksgiving.

The criteria would be (1) decent weather (e.g. not monsoon season, and (2) easy plane connections from DFW, as we would only have six full days.

I know I'm dreaming here, but any ideas?
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 12:03 PM

Hi misspie,

DH and I tossed around the idea of a Thanksgiving trip to Europe for several months before deciding to do something domestic for a change (Colonial Williamsburg).

We had come up with Sicily, Rome (for the 4th time!), Western Turkey, and oddly enough a Paris-Bruges combo (colder weather).
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 12:08 PM
Neopolitan

How can you NOT consider Turkey for Thanksgiving? What a great idea.

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 12:32 PM

Neopolitan,

LOL! I confess that didn't even occur to me until reading your post.

missypie,
As DFW is an AA hub, there should be direct flights to London, Frankfurt, Paris, Zurich, and many other cities. None to Italy at that time of year I'm afraid, but perhaps another airline?
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 12:44 PM

That's so funny Neopolitan!

My son was 4 when we visited Turkey. He was confused when told where we were going but only had one question..."so is there a place called Chicken too?"
We just laughed and shook our heads but about 5 years later we went to Mexico and the highlight was of course, Chicken Itza .. at least that's what my daughter called it!

To missypie,
Thanksgiving is our favorite time to travel and we've spent a rainy week in London, two fabulous trips to Hawaii and this year it's going to be Puerto Rico.
For 6 days HI is way too far but PR is close enough and cheap flights...check it out!
Europe for 6 days? Maybe, but stick to the South!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM
Neopolitan

AA does flights from DFW to Istanbul, changing to partner Turkish Airlines at JFK.

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 12:58 PM

I love the Turkey suggestion.

We go to Europe almost every year for Thanksgivng and have spent most of those in Paris, London, or Devon, England (not great weather but no worse, usually, than Connecticut where we live). We went to Germany last year and had a wonderful time.