Where to go next

Search

Where to go next

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go next

We're starting to think about our next trip but can't decide where. We went to Spain three years ago and loved it, so that's high on the list. If we go there, the places I'm interested in are Barcelona, Girona and San Sebastian, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to travel among the three of them.

We enjoy just wandering around places on foot, art museums, standing stones, cave art, wildlife, shopping,and finding great places to eat. We aren't afraid of using public transportation. We drove all over southern Spain and Portugal and enjoyed that too. I haven't been to Rome (or anywhere in Italy), so that's also high up there.

We'll probably be traveling the week of Thanksgiving and the week after that. We also enjoy hiking and biking, although I don't know how great those would be in Europe in November. Maybe Scotland? Land of my ancestors.

Here are some of the places we've been. They were all wonderful, but we'd like to go someplace we haven't been before (the older I get, the more I worry that I'm not going to get to all the places I'd like to see!)

London (twice, but not since '97 and I've never gotten to spend enough time there)

Paris (3 times, love it)

Dordogne (would def. go back)

Amsterdam (3 times, a favorite)

Belgium (the best food of anywhere)

Wales (great hiking but didn't go any farther north than Cardigan)

Madrid, Granada, Seville, Ronda, Salamanca (liked them all, would def. go back to Madrid)

Tanzania on safari (Africa is calling me back too)

Help!
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 01:27 AM

In November I'd head for the southern hemisphere if I could. So either Africa again (yes I know that tugging feeling I have it too, 2010 is the plan for us) or maybe Argentina or somewhere else in South America.
It gets dark early here in Europe in November, certainly in Amsterdam the sun sets at about 16.30 at the end of November, (sunrise is 08.30CET or there abouts) which will limit what you can do by way of walking and sight seeing quite a bit.
Italy has very slightly longer days in November, but not by much - maybe an extra 30 minutes in total.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 04:38 AM

You can have a great time in Scotland in November but it would not be first pick to come then.

Crete springs to mind.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 04:46 AM

Just a question... What's the average temperature in Austria and Switzerland in Early to Mid November? Thanks, Lissa
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

We live in California but I'll be in NY on business in November, so my goal is to find someplace that's not too terribly long a flight from there.

I don't think the weather would bother us too much. I've been going to NY in February for a week for years and I don't mind the weather then. I've been there in snow storms and when it's 40 degrees during the day.

I hadn't thought of South America; that's a possibility. Anybody have any idea how long it takes to fly from NY to Argentina (and then probably Argentina back to LA)?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 06:43 PM

Amsterdam and the surrounding area

Great art
Great food
Great people
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 07:11 PM

Italy
Morocco
India
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 05:27 AM

November is not exactly a good time to visit Northern Europe - it is dark, dreary, cold and rainy.

If you want to go to Europe and feel halfway comfortable go to

- Andalucia
- Crete
- Cote d'Azur

But if you want a once-in-a-lifetime experience fly to Egypt and do a Cairo/Giza-Nile Cruise combination (10 days are perfect). Weather will be beautiful in November.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 07:48 AM

Sicily sounds good, but I like that Nile cruise idea!
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 07:59 AM

How about Peru/Machu Picchu?