Where to go in Southern Spain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to visit one of the areas on the southern coast of Spain next Setpember. I will be traveling with a friend from Scotland and though we are both far from spring chickens, we don't want to find oursevles in a retirement village either! If that makes sense? My friend has heard that Benidorm is not that great and I was reading on Torremolinos and was not all that excited. We want to base ourselves at one hotel and relax but also take day trips and boat trips, etc. We would like to be within walking distance of a town with some type of shopping and liveliness about it. I have no idea where to go. We will be flying in from London and will be there from about Sept 1st to the 13th and the dates can't be adjusted due to my working schedule. Would like a package deal so that at least 2 meals are included. Any ideas are welcomed... thanks
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Forget about Torremolinos...is like Benidorm. Why don't you try Alicante or Malaga ? I mean, the cities. You will have the beach and also a city with all kinds of shopping and entertainment (not many british pensioners there )
Also Valencia is great for that.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 12:53 AM

You could fly RyanAir to Jerez de la frontera and go from there.

I like el Puerto de Santa Maria: stay at the Hotel Santa Maria (Bajamar s/n). There's a Ferry to / from Cadiz across the parking lot from the Hotel. You can walk down to the Beach and there's lots to do in el Puerto itself.

Sevilla's Bienial de Flamenco (even numbered years) begins around 9/10 and continues thru the end of the month. There are lots of venues, including la Maestranza Plaza de Toros.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 10:23 AM

There is a lot of night life in Malaga city. Especially in September, weather is not so hot but still very pleasant.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 11:54 AM

If you go west from the Malaga airport, you will find yourselves in concrete canyons until you get past Marbella. From there to Gibraltar, the settlement becomes less dense and there are, IMHO, more interesting villages and excursions available.

But,if you go east from Malaga, you will find Nerja, a very pretty and not too crowded village with many tourist facilities, good restaurants and a grotto to visit if you are so inclined.

To avoid experimenting and possibly being disappointed in lodging and food, you might consider the Parador of Nerja, taking half board. The Parador has the best views in town, because you cannot see the modern building you are in. But, the food is good and the service is impeccable. For that matter, it may be one of the few places in town where you can get a meal closer to the dinner time you are used to. You can check it out on paradores.es.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 08:58 PM

I would sure look at Grand Circle Travel. We just returned from Torremolinos. We booked a two week tour with them, and extended it three more, so stayed 5 weeks there. We stayed at the Bajondillo Apt Hotel, and really enjoyed it. They furnished a full buffet breakfast every morning at the hotel, and gave us dine around coupons for dinner that could be used at ten different restaurants within easy walking distance. There is lots of shopping close to the hotel, and it was a wonderful starting point for all kinds of day trips. We took side trips to Morocco, Gibraltar, Nerja, Grenada, Mijas, and other ones. Some were included and we took some on our own. Some of the people staying there had been there many times. Also, the hotel had entertainment every night. We were well satisfied with the trip, and the GCT people couldn't have been nicer.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Thanks, sborder. I have lived in Torremolinos and been back many times since. I have stayed at the Bajondillo. It really is handy to almost everything. The area is quite nice and the Med is right across the street from the hotel. Fish restaurants and others abound. Shopping in town is a lift (elevator) ride to Torremolinos center. I admit Torremolinos is touristy, but as I am no longer a resident I guess I am a TOURIST!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 04:02 PM

We spent a week in Nerja in May and really enjoyed it. It's smaller than some of the towns along the coast and more charming. We rented an apartment and ate paella made over an open fire at Ayo's on Burriano Beach almost every day.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 08:20 PM

We've stayed in Marbella twice and found it a great location for exploring the area. We rent a car and do lots of day trips to the white village, Ronda, Nerja, Malaga, Granada, etc. I didn't care for Torremolinos.