Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Southern Spain/Malaga trip - any advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to southern Spain soon with my DH and 2 other couples and am starting to get nervous and wonder if there is any advice anyone out there could give me on how to make our trip as perfect as it can be. We are staying in an RCI timeshare near Marbella and will be making day trips from there. We are renting 2 cars between the 6 of us; the idea being that everyone doesn't have to go along with what DH and I want to do each day (can you tell I'm the planner here?)

Here's the basic plan:

Day 1 - arrive from overnight flight; downtime at timeshare; explore general surroundings; maybe drive to Marbella for dinner

Day 2 - Drive to Nerja; see cliffs. Hang out in Nerja and explore surroundings.

Day 3 - Organized trip through our resort to Morocco via ferry

Day 4 - Drive up to Ronda for the day

Day 5 - Day trip to Granada to check out the Alhambra. We already have our afternoon session tickets purchased, so that's done.

Day 6 - Maybe drive to Malaga?

Day 7 - Drive to Gibraltar; check out the rock

Day 8 - fly to NYC

As you can tell, I'm not exactly the relax on the beach type. Is there anywhere else I should go, like on Day 6? Any advice for any of these places that I'll be heading to? Will it be easy for me to park the car in Malaga? Thanks for all your help!

Lotus
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:28 AM
fb

We just returned from a trip to Spain that included one week at the Mariott Marbella.
Nerja - we meant to go there on our last day, but it was pouring rain, so we missed it. Maybe next time.
We also did the organized tour to Morocco (Tangiers). The few hours there was plenty, but definitely worth it.
Ronda - don't miss it.
Granada - we stayed a night there after we left Marbella, as we thought the drive would be too much. It took about 2 hours to reach Granada and then more time dealing with the traffic in the city. If you want to do it as a day trip, I'd consider using the tour company so you can make it a more relaxing day. We loved the Alhambra and the Royal Chapel (part of the Cathedral, where King Ferdinand and Queen Isabel are buried).
Malaga- aside from the airport, we skipped it.
Gibralter - we did the organized tour. If you do it on your own, you need to take a private tour once you get there to actually get up onto the Rock, see the caves and monkeys, etc. Prices at restaurants and shops are in British pounds - you can pay in Euros or dollars, but the shopkeepers excange rates are terible. Oh well.
Marbella - nice old town and beachfront walk. There are plenty of underground parking lots. The spaces are very tight compared to parking in the US. Also, they are all owned by the same company and look alike (same outside sign name - Avenida Del Mar) so make sure you remember which one you parked in. We spent 2 hurs more in Marbella than we had planned trying to find our car!!
We also visited Mijas, a cute white village just a few miles inland from Fuengirola.
Have fun. Frank
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Three other biggies
Seville, Cordoba and horse riding. Good art museum in Malage

Local trains are very good if you want to split up to go to the cities in the interior
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:14 AM

Hi LotusBlossom

Do not miss a day in Malaga. Apart from its airport the city isn't often visited by travelers.

Last year our trip included Granada, Seville and Cordoba, ending in Malaga. We were so impressed with this city that we plan to return.

Great shopping, stylish stores, friendly people, wide avenues some of which exclude all traffic, a superb beach and a castle high above the town to explore. We loved wandering the streets of its 'old town'.

I'd most definately use your 6th day to visit.

joe
Old May 15th, 2008, 05:19 AM

Joe, thanks for your king comments on my hometown.
Lotus, I have some info on Malaga ready prepared, so I'll paste it now.
PARKING:
There is a subterranean parking lot under the main square Plaza de la Marina. This can be full, depending time of day. Another option is Parking Calle Camas, a little farther from the museum, but easy walk as well. Driving directions: Enter Malaga along Avenida de America. Once you pass el Corte Ingles (and a beautiful fountain)on your left, you cross the river and face the Alameda (promenade) with the big trees. Take the right lanes, not the central ones!!! First turn to the left you are on your way to Camas, there are enough signs. If you go ahead the Alameda (instead of turning left, after the second cross you see on the very lane, at the left the entrance to the Plaza de la Marina Parking.
P.S. There is another parking very near the Museum, called Alcazaba.

One last Parking info: When you enter Malaga as told before, past El Corte Ingles on the left, then there is the big Post Office (Correos) building at right, and a big sign displaying availability of the different parking lots. Going to Pk. Alcazaba: follow Alameda, and Parque and go round the beautiful bronze fountain, and head for the tunnel and enter. Where the tunnel ends is the entrance. I have confirmed today that parkings are very well indicated.
Here is the basic link: www.malagaturismo.com ,then Practical Information, then at left How to move around, scroll to Car Parks, (and take a look at Horse-drawn carriages).

El Pimpi is a very good choice to visit and eating tapas and dishes, it is a remnant of the past, and displays a beautiful collection of early XX century Toros and Fairs posters. Not to miss. Go to Plaza de la Merced, and walk beautiful calle Granada towards the Picasso Museum, and you'll find it at left. It is bigger than it seems, as owner Paco Campos (of Cordoba's famous Bodegas Campos) has been constantly adding adyjacent houses.

The Parador de Gibralfaro (not to be mistaken with Parador del Golf, very near the airport!!) is on top of the hill. There is enough free parking space. The idea of parking there and take taxi to the Picasso is smart, ask the taxi to take you to Plaza de la Merced, and there is a very short walk to the Museum. Driving directions for the Parador: enter Malaga as before, pass the Alameda and Parque. Get your GPS to take you to Paseo de Salvador Rueda, and you'll see the signs for the Parador. If you are having lunch or dinner, do not forget to make your reservation at 952 221902.

MÁLAGA: WHAT TO DO

Main itinerary: From the Plaza de la Marina: Calle LariosàPlaza de la ConstituciónàCalle GranadaàPlaza de la Merced. Most things/sites are along this route.
The main tourist office is in Plaza de la Marina
The basic link is www.malagaturismo.com, do not miss the horse-carriage rides (I think you can take one to the Parador).

In the middle of the Alameda there is the Casa del Guardia, a Tavern for drinking Malaga wine (sweet mostly). It goes fast to the head. I rec. Malaga dorado, or a “pintao”, i.e. Muscatel with soda. Exit to calle Pastora and walk to Atarazanas, to see the Main Market. The façade is the authentic front of the muslim shipyards, rest of the building is XIX cent. Then calle Arriola, reach the river and walk some meters to Museo de Artes y Costumbres Populares (Popular Arts and Customs Museum), to know and understand our ways of living in these past two centuries. Exit to the right, calle CisnerosàEspecerías (trad. Architecture) and reach Plaza Constitucion, and its Genoese marble fountain.
Another choice is walk to Plaza Marina and then Calle Larios (the main street) to Plaza de la Constitucion.
From here, take calle Santa Maria, and on the first corner on the left (calle Sanchez Pastor) there is Quitapenas, another trad. bar-tavern. It was located nearby, in an old building that fell down, so they had to build new (presently under renovations). Continue Santa Maria to the corner of the Cathedral at Molina Lario street.
If you see the map, this street cuts north with Granada st. (which is long and winding). Now you have two possibilities, go the full round the Cathedral, and side visit to Convento Santa Ana and its museum, and head calle San Agustin to the Picasso Museum; or go north to Granada, pass on the left La Posada de Antonio (good food, especially meats) and another Quitapenas (this one old), continue walking to end up the same place, corner with San Agustin and the Picasso Museum. In the narrow part of Granada, to the right, there is Bodega El Pimpi , a must. It is a big place, with another door to Alcazabilla and the Roman Theatre.
Continuing C/. Granada you reach the Plaza de la Merced, our second most beautiful square, with many places to dine/drink in the evenings.
This is the basics, but you can take any detour you like, of course.

There are many good bars and restaurants; those I mention are my personal choice.
Tapas bars: from Calle Larios entrance, walking to Plaza Constitucion. On the left, calle Marin Garcia you’ll find Lo Güeno. And a bit further up Larios, to the right, calleMoreno Monroy, the Orellana (for me the best), and a short walk via calle Fresca to the Cathedral, Plaza del Obispo, to sit and have a drink in our best square.
Restaurants.
There are many along this route, most of them are good,: El Trillo, La Cepa, Strachan…for tapas, raciones (bigger than tapas) or sitting formally at the table.
Fish restaurant: If you are for fish and shellfish, there are many by the sea, but my recommendation (and where I go) is El Caleño, phone 952299148, closed mondays. Pricey, but what you find here you don’t find other places. Take a taxi (leave your car at the parking)to Calle Bolivia esquina (corner to) Arroyo de los Pilones, then walk to the beach walk (10meters) and turn left some 80 more mtrs. You can take your swimming suit on, as it is on the very beach.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:46 PM

Hi,

LotusBlossom, I am planning nearly the identical trip for later this year. Thanks for posting as the replies have been beneficial.

FB: We, too, are staying at the Marriott Marbella, and will be doing virtually the same activities that you did. Can you please elaborate on your daytrip to Morocco? We are really determined to do the trip, but there are so many negative reviews on this tour that we have some concerns.

Thanks in advance,
Chels
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM

How much is the organized tour for Gibraltar and how long does it take?
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:38 PM

If you like Picasso, don't miss Museo Picasso in Malaga. I loved it. Also, the castle and alcazar are wonderful to see there.

I agree with Ronda (though, try to take the least scary route--Maribel has this info) and try to see some of the white villages. I haven't been to Gilbratar, but believe there are much more interesting day trips (especially Alhambra--get tickets in advance on the internet).
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Chels - we aren't staying at the Marriott; we're staying at one of the Crown resorts (I think; this is the part I didn't book) and apparently they offer day tours through the resort. When I get back I'll write a trip report and let you know my thoughts on Morocco; we are definitely going to try our best to go, mostly just to say we've been in Africa. My expectations are pretty low and I grew up in a third world country, so I think it will be OK.

artlover - we already have our Alhambra tickets so we are good with that.

Thanks to all of you for your help and advice! I'm excited!
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:51 PM

LotusBlossom,

I'm looking forward to your trip report. Have a safe and wonderful trip!

-Chels
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:23 PM

LotusBlossom,
Good--looking forward to your trip report. Have a great time!
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:17 AM
fb

Char and Chels 81:

The two tours that we took while at the Marriott were Tangier and Gibralter. Marriott does not do the tours, just signs you up with a local tour company that picks you up at the timeshare and you are with people from other resorts on the tour.
Tangier - Left at 6:30 AM, back at 5:30 PM. About an hour drive to Tarifa then waiting and boarding the ferry for another half hour or so, then 45 minutes for the ferry to cross, then another 30-45 minutes disembarking, immigration, etc. Next is a tour bus that drives around the new city, goes to some nice overlooks, stops for anyone who wants to take a camel ride, etc. Then it drops you off at the old city, where your guide leads you through the Kasbah and you stop for a mediocre lunch with Morrocan entertainmnet. Then there is the requistite stop at a rug shop and at a herbalist shop and more opportunity for shopping. More walking through the city, then back to the ferry for the reverse trip home. Bottom line - you've been to Morroco (and Africa), you've had a taste of another foreign land, and someone else did all the work and planning. Whether it is worth the 72 Euros and a long day is up to you. We were glad we did it and would not have wanted to do it on our own.
Gibralter - picked up by the bus at 9AM and back at the hotel by 4PM. Again a long bus ride, then traffic and immigration into Gibralter. You then have an hour or so to wander around the Casemate square area until your tour of the Rock (small van) starts. Your guide takes you around the city, to Europa Point, then up the Rock to St, Michael's caves and to see the apes. The tour ends and you then have more time in the shopping/restuarant area. We kind of felt it was like going to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa - a fair amount of travel devoted to something that you "see" ("the Rock&quot in a few moments, but you've come all this way and may not have another chance....It was a pleasant day, cost 40 Euros. We felt that we could have done this on our own, but, with two weeks of traveling in Spain on our own, didn't mind letting someone else take care of us for a change.

Have fun.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:44 PM

Char and Chels, thanks for your opinion and description of the trip to Morocco and "the rock". We hate organised tours and big groups, but are keen to do both. We are renting a car and staying in Marbella. Do you think it would be possible to do this by driving ourselves and doing our own thing?

Also, do you know if Australians need a visa for doing this? Have problems getting the answer.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Chels, Char81, and AdriS:

I'm actually posting this from Spain - I logged on here to check something else and saw the responses - I just wanted to say that we did the Morocco excursion today, and it was exactly what fb described - the same exact tour. It's outsourced to a tour company and they pick people up from all the different resorts, and we picked up people from the Marriott Marbella, actually. I also had the same feelings about it that fb did - it is what it is - a touristy way of seeing Morocco in a few hours - but I'm also very glad I did it. It's worth it to say you've been to Africa and get a glimpse of the culture. It's not something I ever would have felt comfortable doing on my own. I also personally enjoyed riding the camel. It's a long day, but all of my group agreed it was worth it. Hope that helps!

Also wanted to address Gibraltar - we did it ourselves - drove over there, parked in the parking deck on the Spanish side, and then walked across the border. This was a very easy way to do it all (customs took like 2 seconds) and then we were able to see everything on our own terms. Important note - we are in our 20s and have no problems walking all over a giant hilly rock all day, so this may not be for everyone, but we are so glad we did it the way we did. We bought the one-way cable car/attractions ticket and took the cable car to the top and then walked to everything on the rock and then walked down. This did take pretty much all day and we didn't really see a lot of other people doing it our way - most had bought the package van tour - but we are glad we did it the way we did, so please note that it can be done! St. Michan's cave is very cool, and the viewing platforms at the top of the rock are amazing. I have a crazy story about an ape/old woman encounter that almost ended very badly, but I will save that for the trip report (watch out for the apes!)

LotusBlossom
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Glad you are having a good time!

My husband and I spent 2 weeks in southern Spain a little over a year ago - we did the rock exactly like you-cable car up, walk to attractions, walk down. We did spend one night there, though. I thought it was great fun to see the caves and tunnels on the rock-well worth a trip.

Hope the rest of your trip goes well and I too will look forward to your full trip report when you return!

Old Jun 5th, 2008, 02:22 PM

fb,

Thanks for the information! We still have a long time before our trip, but we are looking forward to it.

LotusBlossom,
Thanks for taking the time to post during your vacation; you sound like you are having a great time! I am anxiously waiting for your trip report; please be sure to post. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Best,
Chels