Reload this Page >

Where to go before it changes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Mark

I am looking for recommendations on travel destinations that provide an opportunity to see/experience an area before it changes. For example, Leningrad before it became St. Petersburg...China's Yangtze River before it's dammed...<BR><BR>Please offer you suggestions!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:41 PM
x

Nepal

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:47 PM
suggest

Iraq before it's medieval charm is forever lost.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:02 PM
DianeG

The Maldives before they sink into the Indian Ocean forever...

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Gigi

Krakow Poland!!!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:44 PM
jorge

1.Venice italy, sinking <BR>2 Taiwan may get attacked by her mother land china...<BR>3. Cuba how long can castro live, keep comunism going..<BR>4 S korea, same as above minus Castro<BR>5. parts of southern Philapines, abu sief trying too make them independent muslem states<BR>6 parts of Colombia Garillas wants too make them independent...<BR>7 Kashmir <BR>8 Teritory still desputed between Peru and Equador <BR>9 Puerto rico, will it become independent someday <BR>10 Palistine. who know's whats going too happen there..<BR><BR>these may not sound likd travel ideas for you but I've been too many of these places, not in the war zones though.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:58 PM
dogstar

Anywhere you've never been in C/E Europe, before wherever it is joins the EU. (Not that there is anything wrong with the EU, but it is Change). Croatia and Slovenia before they're as packed as Italy and Greece. Montenegro before it's as packed as Croatia. Serbia has gorgeous parks and woodlands and archaeological sites that are still practically deserted, and the atmosphere is Belgrade is ... very C.European, but still sort of different, reminiscent in some ways of a different period of time. Albania's doing interesting things lately to clean up its act and attract tourism, but I think you have a bit longer on that one. <BR><BR>Suggest, why do you say Iraq is medieval? The cities, at least, are quite modern, and the whole country was fairly progressive by local standards before it became isolated in the wake of the war with Iran, the Gulf War & int'l sanctions. But even that seems to be changing just a little bit very recently.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:00 AM
m

Maldives: It's amazingly beatiful, and will sadly disapear in a near future.<BR>S&atilde;o Tom&eacute; e Pricipe (in Africa) - a safe location in Africa,with 90% of the country covered with tropical. When i went there there was (counting with me) 4 tourists.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:48 AM
anon

I made a trip to Cuba last winter exactly for that reason.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:18 AM
jorge

I thinkk the previous poster mentioned IRAQ couse the southern wet lands where Hanging Gardens may have been and where BABYLON was is in danger couse of the curent government..

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:32 AM
EasternEurope

Prague would be worth seeing before it becomes choked with cheap touristy things, and before the prices of crystal and amber skyrocket. Also, many of the former eastern Germany cities are rebuilding, and are off the regular tourist path until they become more westernized. There's great sightseeing, great food, and all without breaking the bank account.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:45 AM
cd

RE: Maldives<BR>Could someone tell me more? Where is this?

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:06 AM
jorge

islands South-east of India

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:28 AM
Gitta

Are Maldives sinking? Jesus, I went there for my honeymoon 15 years ago... What a pity if that really happens.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:19 AM
kate

Definately Cuba - the only island in the Caribbean that isn't yet swamped by tourism, but it won't last...<BR><BR>Beautiful beaches, weather, rich cultural and political history, amazingly warm people, fab cocktails and the only place I think I've been with no MacDonalds!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:29 AM
Dawn

Botswana before it turns into the touristy mess that is now South Africa.<BR><BR>Suriname before it becomes as visited as the rainforest in Brazil.<BR><BR>Eastern Europe, as others have mentioned, Croatia, Bulgaria, Serbia. I think Prague has already become a huge tourist destination for Europeans. We did not run into a lot of Americans, but we saw crowds of "umbrella people" from around the world.<BR><BR>Myanmar (i.e. Burma) before it becomes the next Phuket.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:39 AM
jorge

how about east timor.. it's only 3 months old as a county,

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:05 AM
shhh!

-- won't tell 'coz if I do, yoy'll know about it and it WILL change for sure ;-)

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 10:21 AM
PCA

Sorry, but Prague already is choked with cheap, touristy things. It's still a fascinating place, but in the central tourist areas, every other shop sells t-shirts and imitation crystal jewelry. And a lot of the buildings have been over-restored, with inauthentic gaudy colors. I still love Prague, but it has definitely already changed.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 10:25 AM
x

hate to tell you, but cuba is already swamped with usa tourists, and thousands from europe! facilities are terrible. this is not cuba of batista days, everything is rundown and poor. for get the godfather ii film - they need the usa to get bck up to snuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -