Search

Where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go?

I am having a lot of difficulty picking a destination for August 2008. I'm planning on going with my boyfriend (we're in our mid-20's), leaving on a Friday night from NY and returning home the following Sunday (so figure 8 full days). Without airfare, I'd like to spend between $200-$300 a night in hotels.

I have been all over Europe (Rome, Venice, Florence, Tuscany, Amalfi Coast, Barcelona, Seville, Costa del Sol, London, Paris, Amsterdam, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Interlaken, Frankfurt). My boyfriend has been to Prague, Vienna, Budapest and Barcelona.

I was thinking of planning a trip to London, Paris and Amsterdam, because I think London and Paris are essential Europe that my boyfriend should see, and Amsterdam is such a charming city, but I really would like to go somewhere I haven't been. I don't mind being at a fast pace and seeing a lot of different places, I just don't want to do the standard spend a week in London with a day trip thing.

We're easy going people, who like to do adventurous things, go off the beaten path and pretend we're locals, don't love to spend all of our time in museums or staring a churches, but do appreciate that as well.

So... where should we go?!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Why so many big cities?
In August, I would either see the Alps or Bavaria and the Austrian lakes--or both.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 08:40 AM

The reason you cannot decide this IMO is because you cannot decide what kind of experience you really want....you like the cities but say you want to do more adventurous things. You say London and Paris are "essential" and you have already been but yet want to do something "different."

Make up your mind which one it will be and then ask for help.

Scandanavia and or the Baltic countries?

If you are thinking about London, then go to London. There is a lot more to it than churches and museums. Especially for a week, the proximity and good chance of getting a good deal on airfare (watch for the Business class specials which come out closer to the summer and you could even fly up front for just over $1000 each).

And if you want to live like a local, then do a typical Young London thing and take a weekend trip to Amsterdam and drink yourselves silly.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 08:45 AM

tough love, but I agree with Dukey. You just have to make up your mind. Not to mention the BF, doesn't he have any opinion.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 08:45 AM

I would think that in August you can focus on more "northern" destinations due to the heat in Southern Spain, Italy, Greece.

There seems to be not a common opinion on Paris in August -- whether the city is more or less dead, or especially good to explore at that time.

Stockholm is a really "young" city with many sights, and has a cool bar/club scene. Also Tallinn, Estonia.

While contradicting a bit what I said before about Southern Europe in August, I'd still consider Lisbon because the climate is quite nice, when compared to e.g. Seville or Madrid in August.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 08:46 AM

Neither one of you have been to Greece. And it's more affordable than many of the other places mentioned. You could visit Athens and one or two islands in 8 days.

Otoh, August isn't a great time in Greece b/c it's super high season and you have to fight huge crowds and higher prices. Then again, it's super high season most places in Europe at that time.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 08:55 AM

I love the countryside and since it seems as if you both have only been to larger cities that may be a nice contrast. I agree with bobthenavigator about perhaps visiting the Austrian countryside (combining it with Salzburg) or the Bavarian Alps and perhaps combining them with Munich if you need a big city fix.

Have you considered Croatia and/or Slovenia? Both are beautiful countries and two of our favorites. Although Croatia, I imagine, would be quite crowded in August so that's something to take into consideration.

Tracy
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses- I forgot to mention that I have been to Greece (Athens, Mykonos and Santorini).

In my first post I was just saying all the things we are open to. I am the traveller in my relationship and my boyfriend is up for anything. He loves to travel but defers to me on destinations. When it comes to the details of the trip, he may have more of an opionion then.

I have been to mostly big cities, except for Italy, so I am very interested in travelling to some smaller places. My ideal trip would be to spend 4 days in Paris and then tour the French countryside winding up at the South of France (but I can save that for my honeymoon!). If that gives you a better idea of what I'm looking for.

Is going to Scotland or Ireland a feasible idea? Spending 4 days in Edinburgh and then visiting smaller towns? It's more of the natural beauty that I think I'm looking for.

Ah, I feel like I just confused myself and everyone even more.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 09:39 AM

You can go to JUST Ireland with 8 days - Start in Dublin and drive around the south until you get up to Shannon where you would fly home from. We did this and stayed in Kilkenny, Kinsale, and Killarney. But you have to drive.

Alternatively if you want to train, you can fly into Paris and after seeing that take an overnight train to Munich and you can explore Bavaria and the Alps. Looks like neither of you have done Bavaria. . . or Switzerland which of course is gorgeous.

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM

I like your Scotland idea and the previously-mentioned Munich-Bavaria-Salzburg ideas.

Other thoughts, in no particular order:

1. London with daytrips via train, or London + hiking in somewhere else in England -- Cotswolds, Cornwall, Devon, Lake District, Peaks, or Yorkshire, etc etc etc.

2. Paris and Burgundy (TGV to Dijon)

3. Paris and Alsace (TGV to Strasbourg)

4. Mosel Valley plus Trier

5. Switzerland - Berner Oberland, etc
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Stockholm, overnight cruise to Helsinki and day trip to Estonia is perfect for that time of year....BUT why don't you do something DIFFERNT for a change as you have done Europe. How many quaint villages and museums do you want to see in your lifetime. My boyfriend and I did Hong Kong and Macau, saw many different parts of the city in 7 nights and it was AMAZING. It's only 13 hours non-stop and there is a hotel for 150 a night called the Salisbury YMCA that was reccommended on this board...Europe is not the only continent on the planet!!!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions! Some of them are really making me thing here.

What I am thinking now is to do 3-4 days in London and then head to Edinburgh. What is a good amount of time in Edinburgh? Is there enough time to see a smaller city in England or another place in Scotland to visit?

I have to go research more on Scotland, just thought I'd ask here too!

I'm nervous about not going to a big city. Putting together all of the details on how to get to a small city, where to stay, what to do while there seem daunting. I know visiting those smaller off the beaten path places are what really makes a trip, it's just scary going into the unknown!!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM

Scary small towns in England and Scotland?

Maybe some of us here got the wrong impression of your plans when you wrote in your OP:

<i>We're easy going people, who like to do adventurous things, go off the beaten path and pretend we're locals...</i>

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, this is just me thinking out loud. I am adventurous but nervous in planning a trip to smaller cities and having it all pinned on me if it's not a good location.

I think I'm going to split my time between London and Edinburg and take day trips from there.

Thank you for your help- I guess I'll ask for more advice after I've researched and really figured out what I want.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 07:35 AM

That's much more reasonable.

Although both places could consume 8 days, easily, I'd split them into London, 5 days, Edinburgh 3 days, and skip the day trips.

That said, you could also add York as a daytrip or overnight on your way to Edinburgh.

You will LOVE Edinburgh. Have fun!