Where to get married in Europe?

Aug 8th, 2005, 10:12 AM
CAJ
Original Poster

Where to get married in Europe?

We're looking to get married in Europe in 2007. We are living in the UK but want something a bit different, but accessible and not TOO expensive. We'll be inviting up to 50 people, I would say. Three cities have sprung to mind - Venice (yes, maybe a cliche and expensive), Prague and Budapest (the Four Seasons in Budapest looks really lovely for such a special occasion). Has anyone got any other recommendations or hints and tips for weddings in any of these (or any other) cities? All ideas are welcome!
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:23 AM

Don;t know what research you've done so far - but every counry has very specific rules and regs concerning foreign nationals getting married there - from fairly simple - to very difficult (long-term residency requirements, waiting periods, provision or notarized translated documents of all types etc).

In some places only civil ceremonies are legal.

So - as a first step - before looking for specific venues - I would check on the rules for each potential country - to see if you can realistically meet them - and they would satisfy your religious requirements.

If you do a search above there are a bunch of reports on getting married in italy - and I believe some info on why it's very difficult in France. Also the name of more than one wedding web site that might have country by country info for you.
Aug 8th, 2005, 11:05 AM

While on our honeymoon in Venice (June 2004), we came across a wedding in progress. That couple will have the most amazing photos... their photographer was posing them in front of the lacy stonework of the Doge's Palace, in the piazza in front of St. Mark's Basilica... their next stop was going to be in front of Santa Maria della Salute (beautiful church). The pictures of a lifetime.
Aug 8th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Um..I'll suggest Paris, easy to get to, as romantic as anywhere on the planet, well you get the idea.
Aug 8th, 2005, 12:51 PM

I once rode the Eurostar London-Paris route with an entire wedding party - had to be about 100 people.
The couple had just gotten married in the UK and was having their reception in Paris, so they all hopped the train, still in dresses and tuxes, hit the bar car and were off. They looked like they were having a great time.

That would avoid the hassles nytraveler brings up.

Good luck!
Aug 8th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Oh, that London/Paris weeding adventure ssounds like so much fun!
I got married in October and originally my husband and I wanted to get married in Venice. So, I understand. We found out that it was very dificult there. You could only have civil cermonies on weekdays and only at specific times.
Now, we are in the US, so it was a lot farther for us to go, but we also figured that it would be difficult for all of our guests to navigate the beautiful, romantic canals of Venice. If you are having a small wedding, there are some great companies that will set up a whole package for you.
We saw a couple getting married in Florence on our honeymoon. Gorgeous wedding!
But, definitely check into the country's laws on international weddings.
Congratulations!!!
Aug 8th, 2005, 04:09 PM

Does anyone have a reference for a good website to get italy wedding info? Does anyone know how people go about pre-nuptial agreements in foreign weddings?
Aug 8th, 2005, 04:21 PM

Romeo and Juliet's balcony in Verona, Italy.
Aug 8th, 2005, 04:28 PM

I can;t imagine pre-nuptual agrreements have any relationship to the actual wedding location. They're completely separate contracts - and would have to be enforcable in your nation (or state) of citizenship/residency - and follow those rules - not those of the country you marry in.

After all - they deal with the potential divorce - not the wedding.