Where to find good Croatia maps?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have been so busy preparing to relocate (we are moving from St. Louis to Charlotte next week) that I have barely had time to give our upcoming Croatia trip much thought. Luckily, like most fodorites, I've been prepared and have had my reservations booked for months! However, I just realized that we still don't have a good driving map of Croatia. I've looked in our local bookstores and can't find anything good enough. I'm assuming they are reading available in Croatia, but I'm not really sure. For those of you who have driven there, where did you get your maps?

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Syl

Tracy,
Find out if your car rental agency will provide you with a map.Ours did. It really isn't necessary to buy one here. If you really are curious, try www.viamichelin.com to map out your route.Word of advice: Always ask for route suggestions from the Croatians & stick to what they tell you.On our way to Plitvice Lakes,coming from Istria, we were told to take the new highway going towards Zagreb & turn off at Karlovac.Instead, I saw a shortcut through Route 42 & it was the road from hell- narrow, with a cliff on the passenger side. We couldn't turn around so we continued for 40 kms passing through bombed out deserted towns.Moral of the story is not to take any shortcuts without asking if it's safe!!
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:05 PM

You can probably get a good Michelin driving map from Amazon.com. Any good European road atlas will also include Croatia -- there are a couple of spiral-bound ones available in the US. Once you are in the country, almost every tourist office in every major and minor city has a really good and useful tourist map, so you can pick those up easily enough when you're there.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM

I rented my car from Europcar and they provided a map. I had also purchased a Michelin Europe Atlas at Borders. It contains maps of anywhere you will ever drive in Europe. Rather than bring the whole book, I photo copied the pages that I needed.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM

If you want a map before you leave the Croatia National Tourist office will send you one with a package of materials at no charge. It seems I got the mailing in a few days. It's the same map my car rental in Zagreb had.

http://www.croatia.hr/English/Home/Naslovna.aspx

I did have some trouble finding maps that I felt were detailed enough to find little towns--even when I was there. I
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Hi
We visited Croatia several years ago by car.I bought a map by Freytag & berndt of Yugoslavia, Slovenia and Croatia. I found found it very helpful. I bought it at Barnes & Noble, but I'm sure you can get it at amazon also. I find that I prefer a map for each country as it also shows the back roads as well. The map also shows the various islands and the road system. I'm sure that Michelin also has a good road map by now. We had road map from Hertz this year, we picked up when we got the car, but I was glad i also had my Michelin because of the better details in the larger map. Enjoy your trip and your new home.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 02:19 PM

We drove in Croatia this summer and our car rental agency gave us a map. In addition I bought a map pre-trip from Rough Guides. It's excellent. Also the Croatian tourist board at www.croatia.hr sent me one free when I requested information on Croatia. It was also an excellent map.

Have a great time!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 07:51 AM

I just returned from a driving trip and found the Globetrotter Travel Map to be excellent - much better than the Michelin map I had also. In addition to good route information it has city maps of the larger places. I got it from Amazon.com for $8.95.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Hi Tracy,

I am one of the September "Croatia Travelers" and as others have said our rental car agency gave us a great road map to use. I also used the Globetrotter Travel Map that was also mentioned and I liked it as well.

But, while researching my trip I also found this website http://www.hak.hr/
it is the Croatian Automobile Club (at least that is what I Googled and this website came up). Anyway, it's a pretty good site and it has English pages and it has an interactive map of the entire country you can click on and zoom in and out.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip...I wish I were going back in November...Croatia is just breathtakingly gorgeous!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had been advised to get a Freytag and Berendt map of Craotia for our trip. I found a new one in the "used" section of www.barnesandnoble.com which arrived promptly from a dealer in Florida.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

I'm sorry for posting this so late, but I wanted to thank everyone for your kind responses. I am going to do some investigating. DH and I fret about maps before every trip to Europe, and usually its quite unjustified when we get there, but I always like to be prepared!

Tracy
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 07:28 AM

One thing that does make the quality of the map less critically important is the very good signage. I found the directional signs etc to be at least as good as anywhere I have driven.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

jeff, good point. I went to great lenghts to purchase a Italy map for our Umbria trip this past March, only to discover that there were signs everywhere and it was just as easy to follow them.

Tracy