Search

Where to buy Hair Stuff in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to buy Hair Stuff in Rome

Hi all --

Decided to NOT take a curling iron/blow dryer and buy one in Italy instead. My mother goes quite often so I can let her adopt it when I return. We're staying in the Campo di Fiori area at the Lepri apartments. Can anyone familiar with that area tell me if there's somewhere close to buy these things upon arrival??? Thanks so much!

Kimberly
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 07:48 PM

You can find a blow dryer in shops selling ELETTRODOMESTICI (electric appliances) or CASALINGHI (home appliances). There is a "casalinghi" shop near Campo de' Fiori, on Vicolo delle Grotte 47. Also, along Via del Portico D'Ottavia, there are at least 3 shops selling home appliances. If you can't find them there, try along Via Vittorio Emanuele, OR (I prefer this last alternative actually), check out Termini Forum, there are some some shops like Upim or Conad Supermarket that might sell them.
Alternatively, try the Upim on Via del Tritone.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 07:57 PM

Question regarding curling irons. We have a voltage converter that says it is to be used from 500-1600 watts. My wife is wondering about her curling iron which is only 50 watts. Can it be plugged straight into European outlets (obviously with a plug adapter) or should we plug it into the voltage converter?
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 02:20 AM

Your going to waste some of your vacation time shopping for a blow dryer ?
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 04:11 AM

I tend to agree with above poster; buy a converter before leaving and bring your stuff with you; why fight the crowds and try to locate a shop to buy those things; with the euro conversion, it will be pricey anyway and you'll waste time.
I have a small blow dryer I bought for $15. to travel with and I take it everywhere.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 04:41 AM

Try voltagevalet.com for an explanation of international voltage differences. They are very helpful if you have questions. I have spoken to them on two different occasions and have been very happy with their customer service people. Good luck!
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 05:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Sundown - If your curling iron isn't dual voltage you will need a converter. There are several types but if you want one that operates both your hair dryer and your curling iron it will need to have a high-low switch. The newer models will switch automatically but will state on the package the high-low feature.

Reedpaints - American appliances never work as well in Europe even if they are dual voltage so I think your idea to purchase is great! If you don't want to shop as soon as you arrive, I believe you can order European appliances online.