Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to buy a camera in Amsterdam or Utrecht?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother just arrived in Amsterdam this morning, and he's already broken his camera! Can anyone recommend a good store in Amsterdam or Utrecht to buy a new one? Nothing fancy, probably a digital Canon Elph or similar.

He'll be in Amsterdam through Sunday, and then going to Utrecht where he'll be studying for the summer. It might be easier for him to get to a store there to buy a new camera.

Thanks!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Utrechtwardstraat (sp?) is a street full of electronic and camera shops in Amsterdam - in heart of town just south of Muntplein.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Media Markt is about the cheapest place to buy a camera and has a big selection.

There is one in Amsterdam and Utrecht.

http://www.mediamarkt.nl/1/locaties/...3?market_id=44

http://www.mediamarkt.nl/1/locaties/pdf/139.pdf

The Utrecht one is probably easier for him as it's in the centre.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 08:12 AM

My favorite camera/film/chip store in Amsterdam is Studio Spui at Spui 4. It's just off the Damrak across the street from the statue of the Queen on a horse. Very helpful fellows work there. Maybe they can fix your brother's camera.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Utrecht would probably be much easier for him, so I'll tell him to check out Media Markt. It looks like a very convenient location too.

Any idea how prices compare? I'm thinking about just buying him one here and mailing it. I can buy the Canon SD1000 for $214, and mail it 3-5 business days for $44. There's even a $50 rebate with it.

It might be worth it if the camera prices are outrageous over there.

He might look into getting it fixed there, but since it's a US model instead of a European one would they be able to fix it?

Thanks!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 08:47 AM

if he buys in Holland have him ask if he can get the 20% or so VAT refunded when he leaves the EU - this tax inflates a price but if the purchase price is enough it can be refunded to a tourist when leaving
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 10:30 AM

How long is he in Holland for? There are a couple of really good camera shops in other towns - he could order from one of them and get it the next day if he has access to internet,
If you post it to him he will have to pay import duty and VAT on it even though he is taking it out of the country again so that is not an option, plus it will take over a week to get to him. Mediamarkt is Ok but the staff are not trained in cameras particularly, and are not neccesarily the cheapest. There are a great many camera shops in the centre of Utrecht.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

He'll be there for 2 months. What are good sites to order from over there? Are any in English? Thanks!!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:09 PM

He can try www.fotokonijnenberg.nl/ or www.kamera-express.nl/. Both have an English site, and are very good. Also good, but with no English site is www.fotovideoboom.nl/ - if he e-mails them they are extremely helpful.
It isn't worth getting the camera repaired - Canon charge a fortune just to look at it.
Is he working in Utrecht?
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for that info. I didn't realize that he'd have to pay VAT and import tax if it was shipped to him from the US. Those sites look pretty good.

So how does one go about getting back the VAT exactly? Would a camera for about 300 Euro qualify to get it back?

Thanks again!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and to answer your question, he's not working. He's in law school in the US, and he's studying in Utrecht for the summer...a comparative law class.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 12:07 AM

Sorry I can't help with the VAT back sceme, maybe someone else can tell you that. I hope he can find a camera he likes.
My DIL is a veterinary student at UU! I hope he enjoys his stay and gets to see some of the area. We live about 20 minutes from Utrecht by train, so if he wants some hints....
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 12:49 AM

The VAT (value added tax) is similar to a sales tax.
I'm not sure he will be able to claim it back when leaving the EU; this is possible for NEW/UNUSED items only (i supose he intends to use the camera).
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 02:47 AM

He can use the camera and get the tax refund. Only he has to keep the recept on which the VAT is incl.and get the form oin the shop he buys th camera. As far as I know Mediamarkt paricipates. Also he might have to shwe the camera upon leaving.
Tax refund must be done before and on the day of departure on Schiphol airport.
He will not get the full VAT, but about 75% of it, check this site for more info:http://www.globalrefund.com/default.asp?viewSiteId=5