Amsterdam streaming webcam...

Jul 27th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Amsterdam streaming webcam...

I stumbled across this one day. For you desk-bound, would-be travelers it will either be a welcome tonic or a tantalizing lure to visit this grand city. It is only a street scene but there is lots of activity and it has SOUND! Queen's Day was wonderful!

If you don't like it, you can always go back to gazing out the window or...yuk...getting back to work...

You're welcome.

mms://rembrandt.terena.nl/stream2
Jul 27th, 2004, 07:27 AM

Pilchard -

How exciting. However, when I downloaded the website all I got was graphics resembling an acid trip from the 70's on Windows Media Player. Is there something additional I must do to get the video? Peace.

Robyn
Jul 27th, 2004, 07:27 AM

That is great! Unfortunately, there was either water drops on the camera or my connection is a little blurry.
Jul 27th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Wow. I get crystal clear video with sound. Amazing!
Jul 27th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Robyn.

You might try going to the Microsoft website and downloading a newer version of Media Player. I believe it is free.

Also, unless you have a high speed connection, the webcam might not work so well. I would also suggest a visit to Webcamplaza.com. There are several Dutch webcams including some from coffeehouses.

(I've enjoyed some of your previous postings regarding Amsterdam.)

Good luck!
Jul 27th, 2004, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the info, Pilchard. I can hear the audio with the tram sounds, etc., but the video is just not there. I will try downloading the new version of Media Player and see if that helps. I have only a 56K modem hookup but it barely runs above 50K. We live in rural Pennsylvania and don't expect a DSL connection for a l-o-n-g time (we're still waiting for them to run cable to our area, but I don't think that will ever happen).

What do I "click on" on webcamplaza.com to find the Dutch webcams? I love Amsterdam (and the Netherlands) and am so jealous of everyone else who seems to be able to link on to these sights (I'm a real techno moron). Peace.

Robyn
Jul 27th, 2004, 05:17 PM

Wowee zowee, Sorrento sucks, this webcam rocks. What a lovely gentleman Dick is to put not 1 but 2 mikes outside their office windows. Church bells! Trrrram rrrrrring-a-dings!! So emotive!!!
Jul 28th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Robyn.

I'm sorry I hadn't been more specific. If you are an Amsterdam Addict as I am, you will be pleased to find a ton of Dutch webcams at the site below. Many of these are in Amsterdam. Scroll down until you get to the Koningsplein cam; if I remember correctly, when you click on it, if you are not set up to receive it, you may be given instructions on downloading the software.

In any event, even with 56k some of these cams should be open to you. (I also have dial-up at home. The good stuff is all obtained at work with our state-of-the-art high speed.)

Good luck!

www.webcamplaza.net/index_files/Dutch.html

Jul 28th, 2004, 06:19 AM

I'm too tired to read: I thought the title was "screaming webcam"....

Then I saw that it actually has sound!!
Jul 28th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi (again).

You may also try this:

http://www.terena.nl/~dick/cam2.asx

Somehow it seems even...smoother.
Jul 28th, 2004, 08:42 AM

thanks again Pilchard, that URL has it at 100% instead of the 200% view you posted first . . .

will send an email to Dick to thank him for the stream! it rocks!!

here's another of my fave NL cams; you can control it:

http://www.rnw.nl/holland/html/webcam.html

it's down in Hilversum, courtesy of Radio Nethlands, on top of the main broadcasting tower.
dank U wel . . . .
Jul 28th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Very nice, ealing.

Thanks.
Nov 8th, 2004, 01:52 PM

Is anybody else having trouble pulling up this website? I used to watch the "action" every day, but now the link I had stored says:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified protocol is not supported. In the Open URL dialog, try opening the file using a different transport protocol (for example, "mmsquot;)."

I'm using the exact same link I always used and it's the same as the one listed in this thread. This sucks!!!
Nov 12th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

I've been having the same trouble. Don't know how to fix it.

Bummer.
Nov 12th, 2004, 07:06 AM

wow!!

the bell...

it's great!!
Nov 12th, 2004, 07:24 AM

If the cam was in the redlight district it would be a Steaming Webcam! As for Queen's Day, i was there in 2001 and this is a bombastic event where anyone can stake out ground and sell anything they want - maybe the world's largest flea market, plus lots of bands and beer. Beer trucks the size of milk tanker trucks had been put in places like Museumplein where there were free concerts. Thousands of people descend on the town causing the Dutch Railways to close Centraal Station because of overcrowding; wheni was there in 2001 they did not close Centraal Station and i was there and saw an infathomable number of young folks, Heinekens in hand coming off the trains, an incredible overcrowding and potentially dangerous scene. But Queen's Day, April 30 i think, is a great GREAT experience.
Nov 12th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Phooey; I can't get the website either.