Red Light District

Apr 4th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Red Light District

I was told not to take pictures in the Red Light District. What is the concensus? (Yes, I'm American, God Love Us)
Apr 4th, 2003, 08:06 PM

I dont believ you are allowed to take pictures, they will take your film or your camera if you are caught...at least when I was there in 2001 this was the case. I wouldnt chance it
Apr 4th, 2003, 09:12 PM

I assume you're talking about Amsterdam. I didn't see any "film police" last summer, but we were told by our hotel that it wasn't right, and we didn't, and I didn't see anyone else doing it either. However, I did see a lot of gawking, generally coming from the direction of -- guess who, American guys (including my husband), and I'm not entirely sure which is more tacky. At least they didn't cart my husband away.
Apr 5th, 2003, 01:29 AM

Better not take pictures. The girls and their male friends don't like it, and there have been problems in the past with tourists that took pictures anyway.
Everything about the RLD in Amsterdam can be found at:
http://www.ignatzmice.com/Adam/framed.htm
Apr 6th, 2003, 01:12 PM

Talk about not researching your destination before booking. I totally forgot the famous "red light district" of Amsterdam. I just booked a cruise leaving from there and was planning to arrive a few days early to explore. But this isn't on my list of things to see. Is there an area away from the activities of the RLD where families can still get out and around and not be exposed to the realities of the district? I also need to locate a good hotel, so if anyone has information I'd be grateful. Thanks.
Apr 6th, 2003, 01:20 PM

ryjack, The RLD is tucked safely away from the things that are probably on your list. If you are planning to see the museums, take a canal boat ride, go to the Anne Frank house, shop, you probably won't wander into the area. Coming out of Centraal Station the RLD is a few blocks ahead and to the left. Stick to the area on the right and you'll avoid it completely.
Apr 6th, 2003, 02:13 PM

It took me a map and some walking around to even *find* the area last summer, my 1st trip to Amsterdam. So no it does not get in the way of a family experience. And to the OP... no do not take pictures of the 'women at work'!!
Apr 6th, 2003, 02:55 PM

Hi there,better not take pictures...but if you really want that,you can take a picture showing the canal street where the girls stay,you can see the red lights but the girls ..keep that on your memory
have fun
Apr 6th, 2003, 03:32 PM

You know the stereotype that we like to take pictures. It is true! I confess that I took pictures of the RLD. I spent a few minutes in the hotel practicing how to take pictures with the camera in my sleeve. The pictures showed no more than you could see in a beach, but it was fun.