Where should we go..Germany vs Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide where to go for vacation. My husband and son (20) want to do Berlin, Czeck Repulic, Poland..My girls, (17 &13) would like to do Italy..Rome, Pompeii, Florence. We have been to Germany before and worked our way across to Austria and Hungary. We loved Germany but I would like them to see another part of Europe that is lovely..we are leaving the last 2 weeks in August. (I work for a US airline so the flights are adjustable to whatever we decide)

I love this site and use it for our trip ideas!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:05 AM

I have been to Germany (Bavaria/Munich) and to Italy (Rome, Florence, Tuscany) and I have to vote for Italy. Germany was a great trip. The countryside in southern Germany is beautiful and the people are wonderful. But there was something simply magical about Italy. I can't say it is any one particular thing but more a combination of the people, the landscape, the foood, the art...all of it put together. I simply fell in love with it.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:17 AM
yk

Based on the very fact that you're traveling the last TWO WEEKS of AUGUST, I'd say forget Italy. It'll be way too hot.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:29 AM

i am thinking of the crowds to expect in italy during the last half of august.
germany should be less crowded.

in view to weather: italy would be more stable than germany - generally speaking. but the weather you know...gets more and more unpredictable.

i am happy i am not in your shoes....couldn't make up my mind...

happy travels and sorry for not being of more help.

div
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:46 AM

I spent two weeks in Germany last September, and have been to Austria previously. I am going to Hungary, the Czech Republic and Austria in October. I am sure the weather would be cooler in Germany in August, but I love Italy. In the last 10 years, I have spent multiple weeks in Italy (Rome, Venice, Florence, Verona, Milan, Bellagio, Pisa, Cinque Terre, Siena, Assisi, San Gimignano, Orvieto, Sorrento, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast). If you have never been there, I would recommend it. The places to see are endless, the people are very friendly and the food is delicious. Buon viaggio!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Each of you wants to visit too many places. Can you split up? Or onsider a small van for the five of you.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:16 PM

There are many low cost carriers serving routes from Berlin to Italy.
It's just a 1 1/2 to 2 hours hop over the Alps.
You could fly open jaw to Berlin/ back from Rome or elsewhere in Italy, a split up your time between Berlin and Italy. In Italy, I would add a day or three at the sea, so you don't have to spend all the time in the heat in major cities.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM

All the places you mention are great, so you can't make a bad choice here. Based solely on the fact that you've already been to Germany and some surrounding countries, I would lean toward Italy... it will provide a very different type of European experience for your family. Eat lots of gelato!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:56 PM

Definitely Italy. No question about it. Hands down. Tell your husband and son they'll have the best gelato and pizza of their lives!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 01:21 PM

I agree with yk--I would avoid Italy in August because of the heat.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 01:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, tenmom,

I don't know why people think that Berlin [middle of land mass, therefore continental climate] will be cooler than Italy. when we went to Berlin in July 2006, it was boiling hot.

what attracts each member of the family to the countries they favour? analysing why they want to go to these places may help you to rationalise your trip.

A compromise might be northern Italy - the dolomites would be lovely that time of year, not so hot, and they speak german. you could also take at least one lake, and Venice.

good luck with whatever you decide,

regards, ann
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 02:13 PM
yk

For August:
Average high temperature for Berlin is 22C (72F)
Average high temperature for Rome is 30C (86F)
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 02:57 PM

I was also going to suggest a visit to northern Italy.

How about the lakes for the scenery, Verona for the Roman arena, then Milan for the shopping, Torino for the food, the buzz and the quirky museums, and then finishing off with either the French Riviera or the Italian Riviera?

I wouldn't want to go to Pompeii in the last two weeks of August. Or Firenze, either. Roma won't be the same with most of the Romans having fled the town and left it to the tourists.

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Hot summer weather will doubtless influence whether your family finds your new destinations lovely or not. 5 years ago we had a relatively miserable, sweltering week in Vicenza, Verona, and Venice in northern Italy (the Dolomites, however, were do-able and fun.) I somehow convinced the gang that the fault was ours and not Italy's, and last year we spent a January week in Rome and Florence; we enjoyed it thoroughly, and Italy has redeemed itself.

I'd definitely save your Italy destinations for the off-season.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 05:20 PM

I'd go to Germany if you are locked into August. No way would I go to Italy. It will be very hot.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Since you have the deciding vote, pick Italy as you obviously (and wisely) want to do.

Don't be put off by the retired folks who can travel in the spring or fall.

So what if it's hot in Italy during the only time your family can travel? Dress appropriately and get rooms with AC.

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 06:35 PM

tenmom,

Suffice it to say, both countries have much to offer as regards tourism. But having spent time in both Italy and Germany during mid- to late August, I would strongly urge you not to let weather be the deciding factor. Italy during the second half of August is very tourable, particularly areas such as Liguria, the Veneto, Dolomites, even Tuscany and Umbria. If you reserve your accommodations in advance, you can take advantage of A/C in your room which offers a welcome break from a hot yet satisfying day of sightseeing.

Will Italy's dog days of August be a factor? Yes, but your entire family will have a marvelous time nonetheless.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 09:30 PM

Looking back at my own adolescence, the idea of touring Italy with three females to visit tons of museums, churches, and shoe stores can sound a bit frightening for a 20yo male. Or any male. ;-)

Have you guys ever thought about splitting up? Father/son and mother/daughters vacation?
Sounds more fun when each of you go where you want to go, instead of being dragged to places that on half of your party does not want to see.

Old Jul 16th, 2008, 01:12 PM

tenmom--I agree with other posters that northern Italy would be much more pleasant than southern parts of the country in August. I was responding to the option you described which involved touring Rome, Pompeii and Florence.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Wow thanks everyone for all your info. After looking into renting a apartment in Rome, sticker shock at some of the prices, we are going to do Rome in Feb (with the 2 girls only)as they have a winter break at that time. We went to Athens last Feb and walked in SNOW and had a blast, although our flight had to be delayed by one day due to the storm. As long as we can do Prague, then I will be happy. I enjoyed walking Berlin (did a 2 day layover there) but love the old buildings of Europe..and it might be cheaper in Czeck Republic for us..I have bookmarked all your ideas to use. As for heat, we don't mind it as we tend to travel in off season and have experiendced everything from rain, snow, and freezing cold weather to a heat wave in Englad in our adventures...when the flying is free you have to be greatful no matter what happens.

Thanks everyone...have fun out there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -