Where should we eat in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying in Paris at the republic sq. from Sept. 5-12th. Where should we eat? What can we walk to? Also plan on doing lots of site seeing, so tell me your favorite places. We like everything except seafood. Tell us the prices of the resturants if you know them. Also, do you know of any cyber resturants where we can connect to the internet using their computers?
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Republique? Where is your hotel?

Off the top of my head, I think you could perhaps walk to Le Repaire de la Cartouche (sp?) on Blvd. Filles de Calvaire. Classic, low-key restaurant, maybe 50-60E per person.

But of course this really depends where exactly you're staying.

Cyber restaurants? Sorry, I guess I'm getting old...

Have fun!
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 01:44 PM

If you're planning on doing a lot of sightseeing, you'd be well advised to pick up a copy of the Michelin Green Guide to Paris and looking through it to see what interests you. It's hard to make recommendations without knowing whether you're interested in principal sights or museums or art galleries or parks...whatever.

My main restaurant recommendation would be Le Bistro de Breteuil, in the 7th. You can get a complete meal, including an apéritif, bottle of wine, and after-dinner coffee, for around 31 Euros.

There's a cybercafé across from the Luxembourg Gardens. I don't know of any restaurants with computer access.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Please give us an idea of how much you want to spend for a dinner for two -- with or without wine -- and for lunch as well if you're interested in suggestions for that.

It's kind of silly for us to be telling you about great restaurants that cost a couple hundred euro for dinner for two if you're thinking of maybe 15 or 20 euro each. There are both kinds of restaurants near Republic, but we need to know what you're looking for.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 01:59 PM

Isn't that the 10eme? Just for "kicks and giggles", try reservethebest.com. Some of that site's subscribing members post their menus. It gives one an idea.
I wish I could remember, but having stayed there once (Lyon Mulhouse Hotel), we found Bofingers...turned right down that street and found a great little restaurant with a terrific steak frites...for about $25 per person with wine (appitizer, plat and dessert).
I poked around the parisjaunes.pages and couldn't find it ... oh well.
Doesn't your hotel have internet connections? THey may only have 1 computer that they'll let you use at a price...? Otherwise, I found cyber cafe's in LOTS of places. Interesting keyboards too! <GRIN>
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 02:00 PM

Not an exact response to your questions, but this post does contain ideas for first-time visitors to Paris...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34667125
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 02:05 PM

There could be one (restaurant with computers), but most places with internet access are just for people to use the computer. Sometimes they may have a vending machine or drink, but it's not really where people plan meals. Even the cybercafes aren't real places I'd go for the food, and most of the ones I know are closed. There used to be an okay one up that way, actually, with some drinks and food, but I think it's closed now (Webbar). YOu can walk by and see if they are still closed are not, at least they still have a URL
www.webbar.fr

If Underhill is referring to Orbital near Luxembourg gardens, that has been closed quite a while now. I know -- I think the best place for that would be the one inside Virgin records on the Champs Elysees.

There are tons of places to eat around there, you can just walk from that square down to Bastille and check some out (on bd Beaumarchais or rue Amelot and then down around the place de la Bastille. There are lots of places on rue Oberkampf, also, that is quite close and that's a good street for walking to check out shops and bars/cafes, etc.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 02:23 PM

The internet cafés really come and go, don't they? The nice big one in the 6th near the Seine is apparently gone now.

Quite a few hotels now have internet access, although often for a fee.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 05:38 PM

These are current listings on PagesJaunes.fr -

Côté Cyber Jardin
5 r La Sourdière 75001
(possibly in the Hotel le Lion d'Or)

<b>Cybersquare
1 pl R&eacute;publique 75003
http://www.cybersquare-paris.com/</b>

Web 46 cyber caf&eacute;
46 r Roi de Sicile 75004

Luxembourg Micro
81 bd St Michel 75005
http://www.luxembourg-micro.com/

Actuel Bureautique
14 r Santeuil 75005
http://www.facanet.com/

Cyber Cube - Od&eacute;on
5, Rue Mignon 75006
http://www.cybercube.fr/us/index.htm

Cyber Com's
212 r St Maur 75010

Cyber Cube
12 r Daval 75011

Le Meilleur des Mondes
4Bis r Michel Chasles 75012

Cyber Cube - Montparnasse
9, rue d'Odessa 75014

Cyber Espace
13 avenue du General Leclerc 75014

Cyber Halte'Net
31 rue Raymond Losserand 75014
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 09:07 PM

Underhill - have to agree with you about Bistro de Breteuil. We'll be dining there on Sept 26th - can't wait!

Kir Royale
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 11:11 PM
tod

Underhill - When I saw your recommendation for Bistro Breteuil I checked to see if I had listed it in my Paris guide and am a little worried because I see I have marked it with a great big &quot;NO&quot;! (No space to write the reason) but all I can think is that a previous post must have put me off?!
It seems such an ideal place to take friends who are first-timers to Paris and not break the bank! Anyone out there with negative vibes about this Bistro please speak up now.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 04:20 AM
ira

&gt;..do you know of any cyber resturants where we can connect to the internet using their computers?&lt;

You want to be online while having lunch or dinner?

Sacre Bleu!!

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Republique is 11eme. Not far from the Marais. Auberge du Jarente in the Marais is excellent and cheap. Cafe Jenny is at Republique for an Alsatian dinner. Eat mussels at Maison Blanche in front of the Gare du Nord.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:10 AM

Le Pamphlet, in the 3eme, should be not too far from where you are staying. It is a bistro with moderate prices (E30 per person before wine) and delicious food. It is not, however, a cyber restaurant, thank goodness!
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Well, I have to say though I usually agree with Underhill's recommendations, I have nothing good to say about the Bistro de Bretheuil. I've tried it twice, and both times the place was jam packed with busloads of Japanese tourists who commandeered the attention of the wait staff to the exclusion of the other customers, and who were loud and constantly taking photos of everything - the food, themselves, the wait staff, etc.
The food was adequate, but nothing special, the service was really poor, and the atmosphere was very off-putting. I've crossed it off my list, even though I always stay nearby in the 7th.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:51 AM

I dined at Bistro de Breteuil in 1996 and thought it was great; revisted this past May and changed my mind. The food was, as St. Cirq says, adequate, service was poor, and with all the wonderful places in Paris, I would not return or recommend it. I, also, generally agree with Underhill and value her judgment.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 10:45 PM
tod

Thank you St.Cirq &amp; Grandmere! It's definitely a &quot;NO&quot; then as I don't need any grumbles from my friends who are first-timers to Paris!
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 10:47 AM

one place that can be walked to from place de republique and should not be missed is ASTIER on rue pierre timbaud (tho i would take the metro...parmentier)...

the metro at republique is a hub for six different lignes and affords all kinds of possibilities. another favorite of mine is L&quot;EBAUCHOIR which is not within walking distance but can be found around two blocks from metro...faidherbe chaligny.

both are moderately priced well below their cuisine value. ASTIER is well known. i hope i haven't let the cat out of the bag re: L&quot;EBAUCHOIR...
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 12:56 PM

texaseuro, it's been a couple days now. I hope you're going to come back and respond to some of these and/or let us know if we're on the right track or give us a budget idea.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Subcon: I do believe we had dinner in Astier, but I want your confirmation, please.

Is it tiny, with an almost open view into the kitchen and a prix fixe menu?

Our meal was great, and I found it off the old Jack's Paris site, but I can't find my notes, and it was 3 trips to Paris ago. Now I want to go back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -