Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where is the Frankfurt Oder train station?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The title pretty well sums it all up. I'm looking at train stations inside the Frankfurt airport. I had read in another post that long distance trains leave from the Fernbahnhof which is farther out...When I tried to plan the trip out on the Bahn site, I didn't see the Fernbanhof, so I wondered if it was also called the Frankfurt Oder station.

Also, at the bottom of the schedule I printed from the bahn site, I saw that some trains were listed as "runs not every day, 14 Jun until 19. Jul 2009.

Does this mean there are no trains at this time?

I'm confused.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 03:32 PM

On www.bahn.de, the two stations at FRA are called:

- Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf for long distance trains, and
- Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Regionalbf for the regional

Frankfurt(Oder) refers to the town in eastern Germany, on the border with Poland, Frankfurt an der Oder.

As for the trains not running, where are you going to?
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 01:19 AM

"runs not every day, 14 Jun until 19. Jul 2009" means that this one particular train connection runs only between June 14 and July 19.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 06:03 AM
hsv

"I didn't see the Fernbanhof, so I wondered if it was also called the Frankfurt Oder station"O(de)r NOT!!!
Frankfurt/Oder - as opposed to Frankfurt/Main - is about 650 km (400 mls) away - as already pointed out by an earlier poster.

I would have thought that "runs not every day , 14 Jun until 19. Jul 2009" indicates at least that this particular train does NOT run every day from 14 June to 19 Jul. Whether it previously and afterwards runs everyday or not at all remains a mystery to me from the wording.
Shows that German needs to be phrased carefully (and that I am not good with trains, probably).
In any case it only refers to that particular train at that particular time in that particular period. Other trains, including such to the same destination, would not be affected.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 06:17 AM

When using the schedules on www.bahn.de, if you enter the date when you want to travel, you will be shown the trains that are actually running on that day. If a train runs only on Wednesdays in August, that train will be shown only if you want to travel on a Wednesday in August; if you've entered a date that is a Tuesday in August or a Thursday in July, the train that runs only on August Wednesdays will not appear.
The notes to the schedule will indicate when a train runs, but you don't need to worry about that if you have entered the date when you actually want to travel.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 06:31 AM

To find out whether a train runs on a particular day, go to

http://persoenlicherfahrplan.bahn.de...ery-p2w.exe/en

and create a Personal Timetable for your trip itinerary and date. Over in the right-hand column of the finished timetable, you will see a number in a black box for each train that has an unusual schedule; at the bottom of the page are notes corresponding to that number.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information. Robespierre, thanks for that nifty timetable!