Frankfurt to Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Old Apr 28th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frankfurt to Rothenburg ob der Tauber

I will be visiting Rothenburg from Frankfurt by either coach or train. Which is the easiest way to take to Rothenburg?

If it is train, how do I get to train station in Frankfurt? Is the station nearest to the airport?

Will appreciate the advice. Thanks!
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 09:14 AM

www.bahn.de for trains - the best way - no direct trains

there is no longer regular coach service i believe as the Romantic Road Bus is now i believe an expensive all-inclusive overnight guided tour.

By train you can leave from either the main Frankfurt (Hbf) station or the Frankfurt Airport station - from the airport then train then stops at the Frankfurt Hbf station and goes to Wurzburg - change there to a train to Steinach and then change there to a shuttle train to Rothenburg itself. 40 euros in 2nd class each way.

If doing any more train travels in Germany then consider the German Railpass - some nice sites for info on German trains and railpasses: www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. If not doing more German train travel then just buy your tickets upon arrival - no problem getting on trains IME - and there is about hourly service on all segments if not more.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 09:36 AM
J62

One at a time.

For schedules I like to use www.bahn.de.

The Frankfurt airport has a train station - it's listed on bahn.de as Frankfurt(M)Flughafen. There are 2 parts - 1 for regional trains (regionalbf) and one for long distance trains (fernbf).

How do you get to the train station in Frankfurt? I guess it depends on where you are when you start. If you are traveling from the airport see my instructions above on using the FRA Airport train station

If you are traveling from downtown Frankfurt then follow signs for the train station.

I don't know if bus or train is better.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 09:37 AM

The train connection from Frankfurt Airport to Rothenburg o.d.T. takes 2:57 or 3:12 with changes in Würzburg and Steinach. In Frankfurt Airport, the train station (Fernbahnhof) is practically inside the terminal building. A 5-min walk after the baggage claim - all inside the building and you can take baggage carts.

You can buy your ticket online on www.bahn.de or at the Airport at a ticket selling machine or directly on the train (which is a little more expensive).
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 09:44 AM

Rothenburg is at the end of the line so to speak, but well worth the time & effort.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:11 AM

EUROPABUS Romantic Road - from the river Main to the Alps - the timetable of the Romantic Road Europabuses, which enter their 59th season in 2009. This bus route was ...
http://www.romantischestrasse.de/sho...ID=155&lang=uk

this goes from Frankfurt's main train station to rothenburg.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Well by reading the 2009 Europabus Romantic Road Bus info it looks like this is again a regular bus service and not an all-inclusive tour with an overnight like i believe it was last year

so by all means consider this bus as a good way of getting to Rothenburg direct from Frankfurt and on the bus you do stop at various places along the Romantic Road and there is commentary in English en route.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all replies....I think that taking coach is the most easiest and direct as I dun like the idea of lugging luggage around.

I suppose Frankfurt's main train station is in city? How far is Frankfurt's main train station from airport? Any good budget hotels near the main train station for recommendation?
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 11:13 PM

Yes, the main train station - Hauptbahnhof, is in the city center. It takes 11 min. to get there from the airport using the S-bahn and will cost around 3.70 €. A taxi will cost you around 35 € if you prefer going that route. There are plenty of budget hotels near the Hauptbahnhof, but there is also excellent public transportation in the city, so you do not need to stay near the train station if you don't want to. There are beautiful neighborhoods to stay in instead, like Sachsenhausen, Westend, or Bornheim. If you do want to stay near the station, I recommend Hotel Monopol, Hotel Excelsior, or the Ibis on the Friedensbruche (this is right on the Main river so ask for a room with a view). These should all be under 70 € for the night. If you want a nice neighborhood hotel instead, let me know.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi Mainhattengirl! Thanks for ur advice! I appreciate it!

Oh well, I thought that it is better to stay near the main station as I am not a morning person. I need more time to sleep. Moreover, I do not want to lug my luggage around too much.

Anyway, I might come back to Frankfurt on the last day to catch my flight home....So I need to stay overnight. Sure, can you recommend me any nice neighborhood hotel?
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Actually, the Hotel Monopol has a nice old world elegance to it along with all the modern amenities, free mini-bar, free breakfasts, etc. It is right next to the Hauptbahnhof in a beautiful old building.

For a neighborhood place try Hotel Goelz:
http://www.hotel-goelz.de/

Hotel am Berg
http://www.hotel-am-berg-ffm.de/

Bornheimer Hof
http://www.bornheimer-hof.de/

or this B&B
http://www.gabischirrmacher.de/gaestezimmer/

These are all neighborhood hotels and away from the center city, but only about a 10 min. ride on a tram, bus or subway.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 10:03 AM

Frankfurt's Redlight district, or at least one of them, is also near the train station - not the best of areas IMO (but safe IMO) - American GIs flock here at night.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 10:09 AM

If you are familiar with Priceline, you can get a nice hotel for about $70 USD. We have stayed at the Moevenpick Hotel several times. My son goes to the Auto Show which is right next door. We've been lucky enough to stay there through Priceline. But all hotels raise their prices during the auto show and every major convention or event.