where in paris for family of five?

Dec 7th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

where in paris for family of five?

Our family of five is thinking of visiting Paris for a week this July. We'd like something with a great location and something set up for families (adjoining rooms, family suite, or the like). Can anyone make some specific recommendations as to hotel or apartment that is neither luxury nor budget. Thanks!
Dec 7th, 2005, 01:24 PM

One person's luxury hotel is another person's budget hotel. What were you thinking of spending, per night, for five people?
Dec 7th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

I'm not really sure at this point what the going rate is for rooms in either category. We are fortunate not to be confined by the price of our accomodations, but we'd also like to spend sensibly. Location is our first priority. We don't want to spend for super luxury but we don't need to stay within a budget either. Just something that makes sense, especially since we will probably have to get two rooms.
Dec 7th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Two hotels that I stay in have rooms that are at least big enough for four - don't know that I've ever inquired about rooms for five but they might have them:

Hotel Duquesne-Eiffel
Hôtel de France

Both in the 7me arrondissement.
Dec 7th, 2005, 02:11 PM

There is a charming apartment in my favorite hotel, Hotel Relais du Louvre in the 1st. Might give the children a bit of flexibility too being a "flat" rather than just a hotel room.
Dec 7th, 2005, 02:53 PM

We stayed in the apartment SuzieC writes of this summer. It was little crowded with me, my wife, two kids, and my mother. That being said, we managed just fine and enjoyed the hotel, its staff, and the great location. You cannot go wrong unless the kids are a bunch of teenagers who will want more privacy than will be afforded by the apartment (only one bedroom, but others can sleep in the living area).
Dec 7th, 2005, 03:14 PM

You should consider renting an apartment. It ususally costs less than two hotel rooms. The cost of the Relais du Louvre apartment is 410 euro. That's pretty expensive. My cousin, her husband, and son rented a two bedroom apartment in Montparnasse that worked out to be around 150+ euro/night. The living room came with a sofabed.
Dec 7th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

I think we'd prefer a hotel to an apartment. It's hard to get specific recommendations for an apartment in a great area that's easy to walk to the main sites that would also sleep five comfortably. It feels like a wild goose chase. There is more reliable information about the hotels, each meeting these specific requirements. Plus it's nice not to have to clean up afterwards.
Dec 7th, 2005, 03:54 PM

"...We don't want to spend for super luxury but we don't need to stay within a budget either. Just something that makes sense, especially since we will probably have to get two rooms."

Could you give a specific rate range? It would help alot.
Dec 7th, 2005, 04:21 PM

We rented an apartment in Paris in June that was a two bedroom (one with a queen and one with twin beds) and it would have readily slept someone in the living room. It was not a luxury place - but it was very decent, clean and affordable. Here are links to my trip report and the apt review on slowtrav.com:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34644730

http://www.slowtrav.com/france/vr/review.asp?n=1637

It was very close to fun Rue Mouffetard and the subway stop in the 5th arrondisement. If you want any further info let me know.
Dec 7th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Consider the apartment we stayed in last September. I would recommend it for a family of 5 in that it has 2 bedrooms, one with a double and and one with twins and a good sofa bed in the living room. The living/dining room is a large combination. We were 4 adults and we were more than comfortable. You will like the area, in Marais, a great neighborhood and only about 2 blocks to the Seine, 2 blocks to the metro. The apartment at 24 Rue St. Paul. I can't remember the website that I found it through, but you can e-mail the manager Pascal at [email protected]. The review of my trip is posted here somewhere. If you find photos on the net I would say that the apartment is nicer than the photos actually. It was about 1400 euros for one week, which is like 2 hotel rooms for 100 euros each per night, which we found very reasonable for what we got in and out and of the apartment. I would not hesitate to recommend it for a family.
Dec 7th, 2005, 04:30 PM

We are a family of 5 and we stayed at the Hotel de Champaigne which is in the first. Great location and all 5 of us in one large suite. Price was ok - as you say not lux but not super cheap either. (I think it is a 3 star) Check Trip Advisor and if you like it, call the hotel (or e-mail) them directly.
Dec 7th, 2005, 04:34 PM

I think an apartment would be more suitable too. But sactomama said she's not interested in apartments.
Dec 7th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. I will check out the hotels and specific apartments mentioned here since you feel they meet our requirements.
Dec 8th, 2005, 01:38 PM

I tracked down the information for the apartment I recommended on Rue St. Paul. www.vrbo.com, #19924. Again, the photos don't really do it justice.