Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where and when are the best markets in Turkey

Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

One of my favorites parts of traveling is to experience the culture of a country through the local markets. I love cooking and discovering new ingredients. Plus l really enjoy watching all the interaction in the marketplace. I will be in the following areas of Turkey next month and want to know if there will be any markets during these days worth checking out. We will have a car, except in Istanbul.

Istanbul May 18-21
Cappadocia May 22-24
Kas- May 25-27
Pamuukale May 28
Selcuk- May29-20
Pergamum- May 31
Istanbul May 31
Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:17 AM

If I recall correctly, Saturday is the big market day in Ürgüp.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...57622933537559
Apr 22nd, 2011, 09:32 AM

Michael - Your photos are wonderful. Thank you for posting. I had no idea that there would be high mountains nearby (062). We'll be there about the same time as you. I tought it would be warmer by then.
The Old Greek House looks charming. We'll try not to miss the Turkish Aphrodisiak
Is it quite a hike to get to the Monastery Valley?
Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:22 AM

The monastery valley is OK but not what one thinks it would be, and is not much of a hike. It might be more interesting for those who really want to hike in it. It's the Ilhara Valley that is very much worth the trip. 365 steps down, and then 365 back up to start at the center of it.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:36 AM

To clarify:

This is what I call the monastery valley:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...57622933537559

And there is the Ilhara valley which is in a deep canyon, and there is the Goreme Outdoor Museum which could be considered a valley of monasteries. The latter is the most frequently visited and the most crowded. The churches in it are also the most impressive.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 01:13 PM

I was referring to your photo 012. It looks so pretty and level. My friends won't climb the 365 steps of the Ilhara Valley.
We were surprised at the frescoes. Do you know when they were restored?

BTW, I was trying to transmit your photo link of your Istanbul pictures and it doesn't work. Your photos are outstanding. The Topkapi tiles are incredibly beautiful; one better than the next....

We're planning to visit the Archeological Museum; I hope they have English subtitles.

Sorry, Nicci, for temporarily hijacking your threat.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, our flight does not arrive into Nevsehir until 7pm that Saturday.

Any markets in other locations?
Apr 22nd, 2011, 01:22 PM

012 is fairly level, but no clear path. My wife is not very sure-footed (nor would she take the steps down to the Ihlara valley), so we only walked a couple of hundred yards into that valley.

I do not know why the photos would not transmit.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM

.....fairly level....that should work for us. Thank you, Michael.

Back to markets. Are there any others?
Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:23 PM

Nicci, check for Istanbul markets on the web. There is at least one market everyday in istanbul in a different area. The largest is Tuesday near Kadikoy at Hasanpasa on the Asian side, There is one on Saturday, back of Besiktas near Ihlamur royal pavillion which is easy to reach in the morning. There is one at Yesilkoy, ear the airport on Wednesdays.

The Selcuk market is Saturdays and i think the Kusadasi one is on Tuesday.

If you ask your hotel reception, they cantell you dates and locations of markets. There will always be one somewhere not too far away that you can reach since you have a car outside Ist.

Try the crisp green plums (not for cooking)

I hope you can also find the special orange colored, spinning top shaped herb cheese from Antakya for use as a salad dressing instead of blue cheese. (my personal discovery)
Apr 30th, 2011, 03:36 AM

There is almost everyday a market day in Cappadocia, different regions, ask your hotel or guide for directions.
Enjoy,
Murat
Apr 30th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both, Otherchelebi and Murat. I will ask our hotels.