When to reserve rental car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I was wondering how soon I need to reserve a rental car in Italy (I will be travelling in August). I have been checking prices on autoeurope.com and noticed a large increase in weekly price(+$500)from the last time I checked for a Opal Zafira automatic. Are these fluctuations normal or did I wait too long? I didn't want to reserve yet because autoeurope requires full payment for reservation. Thanks for any advice!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:34 PM

I don't know why there should have been a large increase in price since the last time you checked - that seems odd, unless it's because the availability of automatics changes frequently. And btw, AutoEurope does not require full payment for reservation. I always pay one-third upon reserving and the other two-thirds upon return of the car. That could be, I suppose, because I've been renting from them for years and years, but I think I've read that others have had the same experience who haven't been such long-time customers.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:50 PM
rex

I had the impression that their rates do rise and fall with seasonal demand, but I am not sure that lead time influences this. Are you saying that they gave you one quote for August weeks ago, and now the quote for August is higher? I thought that they give you a quote; they expect you to take it or not within a certain timeframe, and once you have a deal, they do not change their prices on you.<BR><BR>I am not sure that rates you read on a website are equally applicable for Feb, May, July and November.<BR><BR>I must confess, these are impressions I have from renting - - I have rented from them about 10 times, and always between April and October. I don't have any inside facts from studying their rates or asking how they price. I think they negotiate contracts with specific rental companies for specific locations in specific countries - - and those are the rates for x months in advance. They probably make projections for that period of time, and make decisions that change from month to month as to how much or how little to mark up the rates they have negotiated with their suppliers.<BR><BR>Personally, I think that I would start calling to determine the best rate for an August car rental in May or thereabouts.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:29 PM

It may just be my experience, but I find the earlier I start looking for a rental car the less expensive it seems to be.<BR>I think I asked at one time why this would be and it was explained that this is a byproduct of supply and demand. The further away from a trip you may just catch them with lots of supply.<BR>Now I know that once, when using Auto Europe, the rate actually decreased after I had confirmed a reservation and I received a credit on the rate. <BR>I know I started looking in December for our May vacation and locked in a price. I still keep checking prices to see if I can come up with a better deal, but everything is higher now. <BR>I always rent automatics, so this may be the case only with this type of car.<BR>I really do not believe you have waited too long. Italy is a tough automatic car rental market, I sure you will find. <BR>Lots of luck.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Michael

I've had a 5% and 10% discount given for leasing a car in February with a June pickup, full payment due one month before delivery. This was in France, and I do not know if similar discounts can be found in Italy.

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 02:35 PM

Bulletin-Auto Europe charges in advanse for rentals within Italy for other countries it is a partial deposit.RR
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 02:59 PM

I've been looking at prices for May in France...evacations appears to be about 10% lower than AutoEurope for the same class car. I'm not ready to commit yet, but since I had such a good experience with AutoEurope 2 years ago, I would talk with them to see if they'd match the lesser quote. I'm guessing they will.<BR>