Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When should we buy tickets for the train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a silly question but we've never traveled by train in Europe. We (3 adults) will be going from Prague to Vienna then Vienna to Salzburg then Salzburg to Munich. Do we need to buy them ahead of time or can we just get them the day we want to leave each place?
Thanks so much, you are always very helpful here.
Amy
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 10:45 AM

You can do either, but it is preferable to buy them ahead of time, to save the bother of having to stand in line at the ticket counters, and lines can sometimes be very long, particularly during high season. Also, you need to have a general idea ahead of time of when you want to leave-so you'll need to check the train schedules to see when the intercity or high speed trains depart for your destination. However, once you arrive at your destination city, you can then go and buy your ticket for the next leg of your destination by checking the schedules posted in the train station. So when you get to Prague, go and buy your ticket for Vienna, and then when arriving in Vienna, buy for Salzburg, etc.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, you helped so much! I believe that sounds like a great plan since we'll already be a the train starions anyway.

Amy
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 11:17 AM

No problem! Enjoy your trip- you have a lovely itinerary.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM
J62

No need to buy them beforehand.

Prague - Vienna is served by direct trains every 2 hrs, so there are always seats.

Vienna - Salzburg up to 2 trains per hour, and Salzburg-Munich about once an hour.

For the latter two trains I would simply buy a ticket when I got to Vienna. I would not even bother with a seat reservation (even though it's just 3Euro added to the ticket price). Your ticket will be good on any train between the 2 cities (as long you as you buy a ticket for the fast trains, not the slower regional trains).

Especially for the latter 2 treks you don't need to know ahead which particular train you want to take - you can just show up at the Vienna train station, buy a ticket and hop on the next train. QED.

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks J62! Now I have more options for train tickets. I knew the forum would come through for me.